Qtrade Direct InvestingTM, a Canada-based investment broker offering access to stocks, mutual funds, bonds, GICs, exchange-traded funds (ETFs) and options at low commission rates of $6.95 – $8.75 per regular trade. Qtrade focuses on usability and functionality, especially for beginner traders looking for a more streamlined and simplified platform. It’s trading platform is easy to use and features a number of powerful research tools that will allow users to make better investment decisions. Newer traders, passive investors and investors who’ve never used charting software may actually prefer Qtrade’s focus on simple order placements, quick signups and easy-to-navigate layouts.
Qtrade offers investors a wide selection of equity choices, including hundreds of commission-free ETFs and mutual funds. Options trading and stock investing are also available, though prices aren’t as competitive as other offerings. Currently, Qtrade is only available to residents of Canada.
- Canadian investors looking to access U.S. markets
- Investors who value platform simplicity
- Investors looking to practice their trades using a trial account before committing their capital
- Simple, easy-to-navigate layout ideal for new investors who don’t need advanced charting software
- Access to 105+ commission-free ETFs and many additional commission-free mutual funds
- Trial account; beginner-friendly and extensive educational materials available
- Not currently available to residents of the United States
- Cannot fund your account using an electronic wallet or credit card
Qtrade Ratings at a Glance
Use code CASHBONUS2024 when you sign up for Qtrade to receive a cashback bonus (up to $2,000) when you open a qualifying account by March 4, 2024 and/or transfer assets into a QTrade Direct Investing account by March 31, 2024. Remember that total client assets across all QTrade accounts will count towards your funding tiers. Conditions apply.
Qtrade offers a few unique benefits over competing investment brokers, including:
- Simple real-time signups and a novice-friendly platform: Qtrade’s platform is known for it’s second-to-none portfolio charting software or analytics tools and favors a cleaner layout. While this might not be the best choice for professional or institutional investors, new traders might appreciate the inviting platform.
- Access to U.S. equities markets: In addition to domestic Canadian markets (like the Toronto Stock Exchange, TSX Venture Exchange and the Canadian Securities Exchange) you can also access the New York Stock Exchange and the NASDAQ. This can be a major benefit for Canadian investors looking to expand their portfolio to include foreign companies.
- Options trading availability: In addition to stocks, ETFs and mutual funds, Qtrade also offers easy options trading. Interested in learning more about options before you begin? Qtrade’s education section is also beginner-friendly and a great place to start learning.
|Stocks, options, ETFs, mutual funds, bonds, new issues, guaranteed investment certificate (GIC)
|Known for providing an intuitive yet feature-rich trading platform. Suitable for new investors, advanced investors and everything in between.
|Fully operational; mirrors desktop web-trading platform
|Available base currencies
Qtrade is an online brokerage that provides Canadian investors with easy access to Canadian and U.S. markets. Like many brokers, Qtrade charges a per-transaction commission whenever you buy or sell a security. This commission may vary depending on the size of your trade and the type of security you’re buying or selling. Below, you can view a summary of what you might expect to pay in commissions. Trading commissions are charged in the currency in which the security trades (for example, U.S. transactions are charged in U.S. dollars).
|$6.95 to $8.75 depending on trading volume or portfolio size.
|100+ commission-free ETFs available; $6.95 to $8.75 depending on trading volume
|$1 per $1,000 face value, with a minimum charge of $24.99 and a maximum charge of $250 per transaction
|$6.95 to $8.75 depending on trading volume plus $1.25 per contract
Qtrade also offers margin trading. The rate you’ll pay depends on prime rates, your pricing grid (investor or investor plus), and the amount of money you borrow. The best rates are afforded to traders borrowing more than $100,000 CAD in margin, and margin rates may change throughout the year depending on current market rates.
You can also use CASHBONUS2024 to get up to a $2,000 cashback bonus when opening or funding qualifying accounts. Terms and conditions apply. You can also get a $50 sign-up bonus when you open a new QTrade account by March 4, 2024 and deposit at least $1,000 by March 31, 2024.
Qtrade is aimed at traders and investors seeking an intuitive yet feature-rich platform getting ready to make their first purchase or begin their journey toward retirement. Did you know that QTrade Direct Investing offers the best online brokerage service experience in Canada according to Surviscor, with a score of 91%? Why? The platform added many enhancements in 2022, making it even easier for every investor to manage their portfolios.
Though Qtrade doesn’t offer comprehensive charting, Qtrade is known for providing second-to-none portfolio analytics tools to Canadian investors. as brokers aimed at professional and institutional investors (like TD Ameritrade or Lightspeed) it does offer a simple and intuitive set of tools that even the newest investor can quickly master. Some features you’ll find on the Qtrade platform include:
- Planning tools and calculators: Many beginner traders start investing with a specific financial goal in mind. For example, you might want to invest to retire early, buy a house or send a child to college. Qtrade’s investing platform offers a range of free financial planning tools and calculators to track your net worth, estimate when you’ll be able to reach a specific financial goal and track how much you’ll need to invest over time to meet your needs for retirement or education.
- Easy and real-time signups: Getting started with Qtrade is exceptionally easy — most new investors will be able to open their account in as little as a few minutes. All you need to begin is your Social Insurance Number, Government ID and some information about your net worth and current assets and income. Open your account, link your bank account and begin investing for the future.
- Screening tools: A stock screener is a tool that makes it easier to find investments that match the unique criteria you’re searching for. Qtrade’s platform includes a comprehensive stock and ETF screener that allows you to sort through thousands of equities to find the ones that are best suited for your goals. Sort stocks and funds by price, dividend yield, expert valuation or your own set of predefined criteria.
If you’re a new investor, you might want to learn more about the stock and bond markets before you place your first buy or sell order. Qtrade offers a range of educational tools that you can use to master both the Qtrade platform and learn more about trading strategies and how to use them. Some examples of the educational tools you’ll have access to through Qtrade include:
- Quality investment information articles: Qtrade’s education section is largely aimed at beginner traders who are still familiarizing themselves with common trading terms and who might not be sure where they should invest their money yet. You can access a full library of beginner-friendly articles on Qtrade’s website for free — even if you haven’t yet opened an account. Education articles are inviting and easy for even complete novices. Previous topics include “How to Sell Stocks Online” as well as general introductions to market volatility and its causes.
- Analyst recommendations: Qtrade’s platform includes a proprietary newsfeed with expert recommendations for both U.S. and Canadian securities. In addition to recommendations, fundamental market data and daily Morning News Calls are offered each day before the markets open to help you prepare for the day ahead.
- Downloadable trading guides: Do you prefer to do your learning on the go? Qtrade also offers a series of downloadable trading guides that you can transfer to your tablet or mobile device to learn while you travel. Previous instruction guides include Qtrade’s “Guide to Margin Trading,” “Guide to Stock Trading” and “Guide to TFSA Trading.” Like all other educational offerings, trading guides have been written with beginners in mind.
Although Qtrade’s physical locations are currently closed, the broker offers a few ways to contact customer support.
- By email: To get in contact with Qtrade’s customer support team by email, send a message to info@Qtrade.ca. Be sure to include your name and phone number for the promptest response possible.
- By phone: To contact Qtrade by phone, call 877-787-2330. Customer service is available by phone Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 8 p.m. EST.
- By live chat: live chat to one of Qtrade’s experienced service centre team members.
- Secure site messaging: once logged into your account, send a secure message to Qtrade’s experienced service centre team.
Currently, no specific phone line exists for investors living with hearing limitations.
Qtrade offers investors access to a wide range of equities and markets, including stocks, ETFs, mutual funds and more. Let’s take a closer look at the major asset classes opportunities investors can access through Qtrade.
Qtrade Stocks, ETFs and Mutual Funds
Qtrade allows users to buy and sell any stock listed on major Canadian exchanges, including the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX), TSX Venture Exchange (TSXV), and Canadian Securities Exchange (CSE) and the Aequitas NEO Exchange. You can also buy and sell any asset listed on the NYSE or the NASDAQ. Most investors will pay between $6.95 and $8.75 in commissions per trade. Trading commissions are charged in the currency in which the security trades (for example, U.S. transactions are charged in U.S. dollars). You can also access select stocks on over-the-counter (OTC) markets.
Qtrade also offers access to ETFs and a wide selection of mutual funds. Currently, the broker offers 100+ commission-free ETFs — additional ETFs are available but have commission rates similar to stock purchases and sales. Qtrade also offers access to thousands of commission-free mutual funds from major investment firms like Vanguard.
Qtrade also offers full access to the options markets of both the United States and Canada. Qtrade’s platform allows you to place multiple types of calls and put orders, including spreads, covered and uncovered orders. Qtrade’s stock screener (included with its proprietary trading platform) is also effective at filter options through a predefined set of criteria.
Like stock and ETF trading, Qtrade users pay between $6.95 and $8.75 per options purchase or sale, plus $1.25 per contract. Trading commissions are charged in the currency in which the security trades (for example, U.S. transactions are charged in U.S. dollars). More favorable rates are reserved for high-volume traders and those with larger portfolios.
Qtrade’s mobile app offers full market capabilities, allowing you to buy and sell stocks, ETFs, mutual funds and more directly from your phone. Some unique features we love include:
- Easy portfolio tracking and monitoring: Qtrade’s app makes it easy to track your portfolio value and how it’s changing over time using both dollar amounts and graphs. This can help you ensure that you’re on track toward your financial goals through visualization.
- Easy watchlist creation: Qtrade’s app allows you to quickly organize the stocks and ETFs you’re most interested in into convenient watchlists. This feature may be particularly useful for day traders and scalers who need quick access to their most frequently traded assets.
- Quick access to open new accounts: Qtrade’s app allows you to open a new account through your mobile device.
Qtrade’s app is available as a free download for iPhone, and Android platforms. For Windows phone users, a comprehensive web mobile platform is also available.
At its core, Qtrade values simplicity and user-friendliness on its platforms. Qtrade is known for second-to-none portfolio analytics tools. You will find, however, a straightforward, easy-to-operate ordering system that anyone can master. You can even practice using Qtrade’s platform with a free trial account before you risk any of your own money.
Qtrade’s education section is aimed at new investors, advanced investors and everything in between.. This could be a welcome sight for new investors and more experienced traders. Can make the best investment decisions with insight from the experts.
Online brokerage services are offered through Qtrade Direct Investing, a division of Credential Qtrade Securities Inc. Qtrade and Qtrade Direct Investing are trade names and trademarks of Aviso Wealth.
john christopher jackson
Submit Your One Minute Opinion
About Sarah Horvath
Sarah is an expert in the insurance, investing for retirement and cryptocurrency space.