Esurance is an insurance company that offers policies for homeowners, motorcyclists, drivers and more. Esurance offered us an exceptionally affordable policy compared to other insurance providers but its policies aren’t available nationwide and it has fewer optional coverage choices.
- Riders who already have some form of policy with Esurance
- Riders who want to insure their bike as affordably as possible
- Riders only interested in the most basic coverage options
- Very affordable policy premiums
- Lots of discounts available
- Not available in every state
- Fewer coverage choices than competitors
Esurance Motorcycle Ratings at a Glance
|Insurance Coverage Selections|
|Esurance Customer Service|
|Insurance Mobile App|
|Esurance User Experience|
|Insurance Overall Rating|
Motorcyclists in 49 out of 50 states in the U.S. must have some kind of motorcycle insurance, so finding the right policy is a must. There are so many insurance providers that offer motorcycle insurance coverage — which company is right for you? We’re taking a look at Esurance motorcycle insurance. We’ll go over some of the benefits and drawbacks to choosing a policy from Esurance and we’ll help you decide if its coverage is the best choice for your needs.
Benzinga assigns a 3.5-star rating to Esurance for its motorcycle coverage selections because it is not available everywhere, and its competitors have a wider selection of policy options.
Esurance doesn’t offer motorcycle insurance in all 50 states, which can be problematic depending on where you live — especially if you live in a state that requires this type of coverage before you can ride your bike.
A note: helmet laws for motorcyclists vary state-by-state as well. Check out this guide to learn more.
Esurance motorcycle insurance is only available in these states:
It’s important to note that not all of the Esurance coverage options will be available in the above-listed states either, making it even more difficult to secure motorcycle insurance coverage before you can ride your bike.
Every state requires that you carry 2 forms of coverage no matter which insurance company you choose to insure your motorcycle or any other vehicle:
- Bodily injury liability: This coverage provides compensation to people who you injure in an accident.
- Property damage liability: This coverage provides compensation to people whose property you damage in an accident. Property is defined as buildings, vehicles and fencing.
Florida is the only state in the country that doesn’t require motorcyclists to have liability insurance.
Every motorcycle insurance policy offered by Esurance includes the minimum required by the state where you reside. You can purchase additional coverage, including the following:
- Collision: This policy provides you with compensation for damage to your vehicle resulting from an accident.
- Comprehensive: This policy provides you with compensation for damage to your vehicle resulting from factors other than an accident, such as hail, animals and theft.
- Uninsured motorist: This policy provides you with compensation should you be involved in an accident with a motorist who does not have insurance or does not have enough insurance to cover the damages.
Esurance also offers customers the following motorcycle insurance policy add-ons:
- Medical payments: Compensation to assist you with paying medical bills related to an accident
- Total loss: Compensation to help you buy the current make and model of your bike if it is totaled in an accident
- Optional equipment: $3,000 worth of coverage for additions made to your bike and option to purchase up to $30,000 of this protection
- Towing and labor: Compensation for bills related to your bike suffering a breakdown
- Trip interruption: Compensation for a motorcycle breakdown if you are riding the bike on a road trip. You will receive the following up to $500 per incident:
- $100 for lodging per day
- $50 for transportation per day
- $50 for food per day
Esurance motorcycle insurance pricing comes in at much more affordable rates than its competitors, which is why it receives 4.5 stars from Benzinga. Most Esurance motorcycle insurance rates come in around $400. This is compared to Farmers Insurance Group (estimated at $600 per year), Progressive Corp. (NYSE: PGR) (estimated at $970 per year) and Nationwide Mutual Insurance Co. (estimated at $700 per year).
There are 2 methods available for customers to contact customer service:
- By phone: 800-378-7262. Calls are answered between 7 a.m. and 1 a.m. EST, 7 days a week.
- By email using an online form. Esurance says it answers emails within 24 hours.
Based on customer comments on the Esurance social networks, Benzinga had to issue the company’s customer service rating at 2 stars. Dozens of comments complain about lack of return calls, claims that go unresolved for months and emails not being answered.
Benzinga awards the Esurance motorcycle insurance mobile app 4 out of 5 stars. The app allows you to access your account, review your insurance coverage, contact customer support and begin the claims process with ease. You can also access your digital ID card, call for roadside assistance and add vehicles to your policy using the mobile app. Mobile app users can also find answers to frequently asked questions.
It is very easy to file a claim with Esurance for a motorcycle accident, which is why Benzinga rates Esurance insurance claims 4 out of 5 stars. It can be done by calling its claims department or by using the mobile app or the Esurance website. Make sure you have the following information available when filing a motorcycle insurance claim with Esurance:
- Names for everyone involved in the crash
- Phone numbers for everyone involved in the crash
- Insurance information for everyone involved in the crash
- License plates of all vehicles involved
- Photos of any and all damage
- Witness statements
The claims process shouldn’t take long to complete, but there are multiple complaints on the Esurance social networks about claims going unprocessed for months at a time. Make sure you take this into account when deciding on which insurance company to use for your motorcycle insurance coverage.
It is very easy to save money on Esurance motorcycle insurance because of the multiple discounts available, which is why Benzinga rates this category 5 stars. The discounts you might qualify for with Esurance when buying motorcycle insurance include the following:
- Theft-recovery device discount
- Homeowners discount
- Multivehicle discount
- Safety course discount
- Paid-in-full discount
- Anti-lock brakes discount
- Switch-and-save discount
- Association discount
- Responsible driver discount
Benzinga rates Esurance motorcycle insurance an overall rating of 3.5 out of 5 stars. This is mainly because of the poor customer service Esurance provides its clients. With so many negative comments from customers on the Esurance social networks, even a slew of discounts and affordable premiums can’t help the overall rating inch any higher. As with any investment, it’s important for you to review each option thoroughly before making a final decision as to which company you go with for motorcycle insurance.
Esurance Motorcycle Insurance Versus Competitors
Esurance stacks up against its competitors in only a few areas. These include the following:
- Esurance is routinely more affordable for motorcycle insurance than Nationwide, Farmers and Progressive.
- Every average annual premium from Esurance is more affordable than Geico.
- Esurance offers a discount for riders who have emergency assistance from other companies such as AAA, and Travelers does not
Frequently Asked Questions
Simply open the mobile app, visit Esurance online or call their claims department. From there, make sure you provide the claims rep with all of the information you collected at the accident scene.
Once the claim has been filed, you simply wait to hear from the claims rep from Esurance. The claims rep will review the damage report from the adjuster and the recommendation to either repair the bike or replace it. If a payout is to be made, you will choose how to receive the payment, and the claim will be closed once payment has been made.
Submit Your One Minute Opinion
Money-saving Motorcycle Insurance
Harley-Davidson Insurance Services provides services as a trusted motorcycle insurance agency that knows all about the motorcycle lifestyle. The company stands behind its policies with industry-leading services, coverage and support. You’ll also get money-saving motorcycle insurance discounts and experienced customer service and claims support.