Did you know many of our readers end up choosing Lemonade Pet Insurance for their pet insurance coverage?
Pet insurance is a great way to keep your furry family members healthy without breaking the bank. Just one emergency vet visit can really put a dent in your savings, and pet insurance can act as a safeguard against having to dip into the vacation fund. Benzinga’s done the research — read on to understand what pet insurance can offer you, how policies work and discover the best pet insurance in Wisconsin.
Quick Look: Best Pet Insurance in Wisconsin
The Best Pet Insurance Providers in Wisconsin
Wisconsin residents pay an average of $1,300 for emergency vet care each year. Plan ahead for the unexpected with pet insurance — check out our top providers.
1. Lemonade Pet
With Lemonade, time is of the essence. See your rates in seconds and sign up for coverage in mere minutes with Lemonade Pet insurance. Claims are paid just as quickly, with AI streamlining every part of the normal pet insurance process.
Lemonade has customizable coverage for both cats and dogs. Their plans offer reimbursement on medical expenses like diagnostics, preventative care, medication and more.
Lemonade offers a host of discounts as well. Save 10% by bundling your pet insurance with other types of coverage from Lemonade. And get a 5% multi-pet discount as well as a 5% drop each year you use Lemonade Pet.
- Best ForTop-rated pet insurance
Lemonade is currently available in the following states: Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, District Of Columbia, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maryland, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, and Wisconsin,
2. Spot Pet Insurance
Spot Pet Insurance offers an array of pet insurance plans endorsed by celebrity dog whisperer Cesar Millan.
Choose from Accident-Only Coverage and Spot On coverage and add on a Preventive Care Feature for routine care coverage. Then you can customize the type of coverage, deductible, reimbursement and annual limit based on your needs. General deductible options available are $100, $500 and $250.
You can also customize your reimbursement from 70% to 100%. Your pet can be enrolled as early as 8 weeks old, and there is no upper age limit.
Pumpkin’s policies cover a wide range of situations that can result in costly vet bills. When looking at any insurance policy, it’s important to understand exactly what’s covered — just know that Pumpkin can go a long way toward helping you reach your goals.
Source: Screenshot from Pumpkin’s website
- Best ForFamilies with multiple pets
Limitations apply. For terms and conditions, visit pumpkin.care. Pumpkin Insurance Services Inc. (NPN#19084749) (“Pumpkin”) is a licensed insurance agency, not an insurer. Insurance plans underwritten by United States Fire Insurance Company. Preventive Essentials is not an insurance policy, and is not available in all states.
Pet Insurance in Wisconsin: An Overview
Wisconsinites spend ample time in the great outdoors, due to Wisconsin’s waterways, lakes and the Northwoods. Outdoor time is great for pets and owners, but Mother Nature makes your pet more vulnerable to tick and flea diseases and injuries.
Pets are popular in Wisconsin:
- Number of households with pets: 32% own a cat
- Amount spent on pet bills annually: $1,300 annual average
- Average cost of pet insurance annually: $44.60 per month for a mixed breed, 5-year-old medium-sized dog
What Does Pet Insurance Typically Cover?
Your pet insurance policy will let you choose the best coverage type for you, based upon your pet’s age, breed, preexisting conditions and your budget.
There are 3 basic types of pet insurance:
- Accident-only insurance plans cover injuries due to an accident. Accidental injuries include broken bones, bite wounds, poisoning and injuries from fights with other pets. Tick and flea care and preexisting conditions are usually excluded. Accident-only coverage is a good choice for young, healthy animals that only need routine exams and emergency coverage.
- Accident and iIllness plans cover vet-diagnosed diseases and illnesses on top of emergency accidents. Commonly-covered diseases include cancer, arthritis, skin and ear infections, obesity, allergies and certain hereditary conditions. Coverage for preexisting conditions can vary, so be sure to read your policy details. When included, plans like this can be perfect for breeds that suffer from specific issues like hip dysplasia.
- Comprehensive plans normally include accident, illness and routine care, annual exams, heartworm, tick and flea treatments, vaccinations, regular testing, dental care and behavioral therapy sessions.
Comprehensive coverage is great for aging pets more susceptible to injuries and age-related illnesses. Check age limits before signing up.
Get the Best Pet Insurance Policy
Protect your pet with a pet insurance policy. Do the research before choosing a plan that is right for you. Spend your money spoiling your furry family member instead of dishing out extra money for emergency and routine care.
Frequently Asked Questions
Some pet insurance plans cover vaccines, but you should check the terms of your policy to learn what is covered.
Many pet insurance providers have wellness programs or riders that offer wellness support.