Whether you’re ready to speed through the Adirondack Mountains or dodge traffic in the city, a motorcycle can pave the way in New York.
To bike safely and legally, you need motorcycle insurance. Start with our guide to learn more about motorcycle insurance in New York now.
New York Motorcycle Insurance: An Overview
- State minimum insurance requirements
- Bodily injury: $25,000 for 1 person, $50,000 for 2 or more people
- Bodily injury resulting in death: $50,000 for 1 person, $100,000 for 2 or more people
- Property damage: $10,000 per accident
- Average annual rate with a clean driving record: $969
Additional Coverage Options
Liability insurance only covers injuries and damage to other people and their property. It doesn’t cover injuries to you or your passengers or damage to your bike.
To have full coverage, consider the following options:
- Medical payments or personal injury protection (PIP). The coverage pays for medical costs for you and any passengers on your bike. It may also cover additional costs like lost wages.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. This helps pay for damages if you’re involved in an accident with a driver who doesn’t have insurance or who doesn’t have enough insurance. It also helps to cover damages if you’re involved in a hit-and-run accident.
- Collision. Collision covers damage to your bike in the event of an accident. It typically covers up to the book value of your motorcycle.
- Comprehensive. Expect payment for damage to your bike that’s not related to an accident. It typically covers theft, fire and vandalism. It also covers up to the current book value of your bike.
- Coverage for custom parts. Since collision and comprehensive coverage only pay book value for your bike, you might be short-changed if you’ve customized your bike. This coverage helps you get the full value of your motorcycle in the event it’s totaled.
New York is unique in that you can cancel your motorcycle insurance when you’re not using your bike, like during the winter. You must get coverage again before you ride, though.
All other vehicle types registered in New York must have an active insurance policy at all times.
New York Motorcycle Insurance Rates Per Bike
Many factors influence your insurance rates, but the type of motorcycle you have is a key component. Sportbikes are typically the most expensive to insure due to their speed and power. Cruisers and touring bikes are cheaper than sportbikes, and standards and dual sports are the cheapest.
The age of your bike, the make and model and the engine size also affect your insurance rates. Here are more factors that make a difference in your rates:
- Your location. Different areas offer different risks. For example, some areas of New York might be more prone to severe winter weather, which means there are fewer days to ride. Some areas may also have higher rates of theft.
- Your age. Rates tend to be higher when you’re younger and decrease as you get older. Experience also plays a role in your rates. If 2 people are the same age, but 1 has 5 years of riding experience, the rider with more experience will likely pay less.
- Your driving history. Past speeding tickets and other traffic violations will increase your rates, even if they weren’t on a motorcycle. These typically fall off your record in 3 years, so if you can maintain a clean driving record, your rates will eventually drop.
- Your claims history. An at-fault claim may result in an increase in your rates. Surcharges aren’t allowed in New York if you aren’t at fault.
- Your credit. Many insurance companies use a credit-based insurance score. This score takes your payment history, the amount of debt you have, the length of your credit history and other factors into account. New York requires insurers to notify you if they use your credit to underwrite your policy. Underwriting is the process of determining your eligibility for insurance and your rate.
The policy you choose also affects your rate. A policy that only has liability coverage will be less expensive than a policy with liability, comprehensive and collision coverage.
You’ll also have a deductible and a limit on each type of coverage. Your deductible is the amount you pay toward repairs and other expenses before your insurance company starts paying. A high deductible will lower your rates, but you’ll pay more out-of-pocket if there’s a claim.
Policy limits are the most your insurance company will pay on a claim in a given year. You’ll pay less if you choose a lower limit, but that could also leave you vulnerable to out-of-pocket costs.
Discounts lower the cost of your motorcycle insurance. Insurance companies typically offer several, including discounts for:
- Carrying multiple types of policies (motorcycle and homeowners insurance, for example)
- Multiple vehicles insured
- Paying in full
- Taking a motorcycle safety course
- A professionally-installed theft recovery system
- Factory-installed anti-lock brakes
- Owning a home
- Belonging to an affinity group like an alumni organization
- Belonging to a riding organization
- No recent claims
- Renewing your policy
Motorcycle Insurance Quotes in New York
How much is motorcycle insurance in New York? Here are quotes for several companies.
|Quote for a 1-year policy
|Harley Davidson Insurance
Motorcycle Insurance Discounts
Discounts vary by company. Here are the discounts offered by several NY motorcycle insurance companies.
|Harley Davidson Insurance
|Multiple bikes, loyalty, homeowner, riding group, claims free, rider experience, anti-theft, safety course, motorcycle driver’s license
|Multiple bikes, homeowner, anti-lock brakes, anti-theft
|Multiple bikes, loyalty, homeowner, riding group, anti-lock brakes
|Transfer, multiple bikes, homeowner, claims free, anti-lock brakes, safety course, motorcycle driver’s license
|Transfer, multiple bikes, homeowner, riding group, claims free, rider experience, anti-lock brakes, safety course
Best Motorcycle Insurance Providers in New York
Which NY motorcycle insurance companies are the best? Here are our top picks.
Choose a Policy Today
A combination of factors determine your motorcycle insurance rates. Ultimately, the right policy for you offers the coverage that’s important to you at a rate you can afford.
You can adjust the types and amounts of coverage until your policy fits into your budget. To ensure you’re getting the best rate, get quotes from at least 2 to 3 insurance companies. You can get a quote from our trusted partners just by entering your ZIP code.
Review your quotes carefully. Look at the coverage, the discounts and your premium. Choose an insurance company that offers an affordable rate and excellent service, so you can hit the road safely today.
Money-saving Motorcycle Insurance
Harley-Davidson Insurance Services provides services as a trusted motorcycle insurance agency that knows all about the motorcycle lifestyle. The company stands behind its policies with industry-leading services, coverage and support. You’ll also get money-saving motorcycle insurance discounts and experienced customer service and claims support.