AAA may be best known for its memberships with access to roadside assistance and discounts. You may now realize that AAA also sells insurance, including home, auto and renters insurance.
When you’re renting, your landlord’s insurance protects your apartment or house. It doesn’t protect the belongings you keep in your home, so it’s critical to buy renters insurance.
According to AAA, its renters insurance policies are typically $100 to $300 per year. The downside to AAA is that you can’t get a quote or buy a policy online. You do have to talk to a AAA insurance agent to get a quote.
AAA’s policies are underwritten by several insurance companies. These companies handle the claims, so the claims process will vary depending on which company underwrites your policy. For example, CSAA Insurance Group handles several states and offers 24/7 claims service. Other insurance companies have more limited claims hours or allow you to file a claim online.
AAA is best for current AAA members and those who prefer to work with a dedicated agent. It offers affordable policies and if you’re not already a AAA member, you can join and take advantage of its discounts.
Learn more in this AAA renters insurance review.
- Current AAA members
- Those who prefer working with a dedicated agent
- AAA discounts
- AAA roadside assistance
- Affordable policies
- No policy purchase or quotes online
- Claims process and customer service varies by company
AAA Renters Insurance Ratings at a Glance
AAA renters insurance policies offer standard coverage. It doesn’t have some of the extras offered by other renters insurance companies, like bedbug protection or coverage for pet damage. It does offer the essential, including:
- Protection for your personal property: This helps cover the cost or repairing or replacing your belongings if they’re damaged due to a covered peril. A peril is an event that damages your home. Covered perils typically include fire, lightning, smoke, vandalism, theft, windstorms and some water damage. Your policy may also cover items that are stored off-site like at a storage unit. The limits for off-site coverage may be lower, so review your policy so you know what to expect.
- Loss of use: In some events, you may not be able to stay in your rental while it’s being repaired. Loss of use coverage helps to pay for the costs of staying somewhere else, including hotel bills and restaurant food or groceries.
- Liability protection: This coverage helps protect you and your family members from the costs of lawsuits related to injuries to others and property damage. For example, if someone slips and falls in your home and decides to sue, this coverage would help pay for your legal defense costs. It would also help if a member of your household damaged someone else’s property. It doesn’t cover damage to your property.
- Medical payments: With this coverage, if someone is injured on your property, the insurance company will pay for their medical bills, even if there’s no lawsuit.
- Scheduled personal property: Personal property protection often has limits, but those limits may not be high enough to cover high-value items like jewelry or fine art. These items can be covered separately for an additional cost.
How It Works
Since AAA has several companies that underwrite policies, review the terms of your renters insurance policy carefully to confirm the coverage. Here’s what to consider:
- The deductible: This is the amount you’re required to pay before your policy starts coverage. Let’s say you have $1,000 in personal property damage and a $500 deductible. You pay $500 and the insurance company will pay the rest subject to the terms of the policy. A higher deductible means that your monthly premiums will be lower, but if something happens, you’ll have higher out-of-pocket costs.
- The policy limits: This is the most your policy will pay for a claim. Policies typically have separate limits for personal property and liability protection. A lower limit means lower premiums. Any expenses that exceed your policy limits are your responsibility.
- How it pays: AAA policies replace items based on current market value. This means that if you purchased a television 2 years ago for $1,000 and it’s now worth $750, you would receive $750 from the insurance company to replace it. Other companies reimburse based on the replacement cost. This means that the insurance company will pay you the amount it costs to buy the same item now. Using the example of the television, it may be selling for a lower price now, since electronics tend lower in price over time. If the television you purchased now sells for $900, you would receive $900 from the insurance company to replace it if you have a replacement cost policy.
What Isn’t Covered by AAA Renters Insurance
Like most insurance companies, AAA renters insurance doesn’t cover everything. It doesn’t cover damage from floods. For that, you’d need to purchase a separate flood insurance policy. You should definitely consider purchasing a flood insurance policy if you live in a flood zone, and it’s worth considering even if you don’t.
Earthquakes may or not be covered as part of your insurance policy depending on where you live. In states like California, you need to purchase a separate earthquake insurance policy. In other states, you can add earthquake insurance to your insurance policy for an additional cost. Your agent can help you determine whether you need this coverage and whether you need to purchase a separate policy.
If you buy a AAA policy, the customer service for that policy will be handled by the company underwriting the policy. That means that the customer service hours vary by company.
For example, CSAA offers customer service Monday through Friday from 4 a.m. to 11 p.m. PST and Saturday and Sunday from 4 a.m. to 7 p.m. PST.
Your agent can also assist you with customer service, which is a perk of working with an insurance agent.
AAA claims support varies depending on which company underwrites your policy. For example, CSAA offers 24/7 claims assistance by phone, but it doesn’t have an option to file your claim online.
You can also contact your agent for claims assistance, which can come in handy if your situation is complicated or if you don’t have access to your insurance documents.
AAA’s policies are usually $100 to $300 per year, which is affordable and competitive compared to other renters insurance companies. You also have the perks of your AAA membership, which can save you money. You can also insure high-value items, but you’ll need to pay more for the additional coverage.
While AAA does have a mobile app, it doesn’t appear to integrate your insurance information. It does offer useful information regarding your AAA membership and discounts. It also includes maps and trip planning.
When it comes to your insurance, though, you’ll need to contact the insurance company directly rather than using the AAA mobile app.
AAA renters insurance offers standard coverage at an affordable price. It could be a good fit if you like the idea of working with an agent. Working with an agent does have advantages. For example, they can help you determine how much coverage you need and assist you with the claims process.
Some may prefer to conduct business online, and in that case, AAA renters insurance may not be a good fit. It also works with several insurance companies, and your customer service and claims experience will vary depending on which company serves your area.
AAA does offer excellent benefits and roadside assistance, and it offers other lines of insurance like auto and life insurance. It’s worth considering for your insurance coverage, especially if you already have a AAA membership.
You may also want to compare AAA renters insurance to other carriers. To do that, get quotes from 2 to 3 insurance providers. Review each quote carefully, and compare the premiums, deductibles, policy limits and benefits. Choose an affordable policy from a company that offers excellent service.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does renters insurance cover your valuables?
Renters insurance can cover valuables through a rider, but some carriers may require you to use a new inland marine policy for priceless collectibles.
Are you required to purchase renters insurance?
Most landlords and property management companies will require you to carry renters insurance, or they will assign you to a policy if you do not purchase one yourself—much like mortgage companies purchase PMI for their borrowers.
Submit Your One Minute Opinion
Get Protection Now
Lemonade offers fast, easy coverage through their seamless application and claims process. Get personal property and liability protection with Lemonade Renters Insurance.