Verizon Supports Cultural Diversity in Maryland With a Free Black History Month Open House at the Reginald F. Lewis Museum
Government and Community Leaders Join Day's Festivities
BALTIMORE, Feb. 23, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Verizon today hosted a statewide Black History Month celebration and open house with government and community leaders at the Reginald F. Lewis Museum of Maryland African American History & Culture. The event was free and open to the public.
During the open house, guests explored the museum, recognized community innovators, and enjoyed a day full of educational activities and entertainment. There was food, educational gifts for the first 200 children, laptop door prizes and more.
Guests at this year's open house included Maryland Senator and President-Elect of the National Black Caucus of State Legislators Catherine Pugh; Maryland Delegate and Chair of the Legislative Black Caucus of Maryland Aisha N. Braveboy; Maryland Attorney General Douglas F. Gansler; and Bishop Douglas I. Miles, co-chair of Baltimore United in Leadership Development. The Baltimore City College Choir also performed during a special recognition program at noon.
"At Verizon, diversity is as much about good business practice as it is the right thing to do," said Tabb Bishop, Verizon's vice president of government affairs – Mid-Atlantic region. "Verizon serves some of the country's most diverse markets. So, diversity always has been a part of our culture and an integral part of our business strategy.
"Our long-standing commitment is based on a culture of inclusiveness that leverages the diversity of employees, customers, suppliers and community partners," Bishop added. "Black History Month is a great opportunity for us to celebrate and honor those individuals who have made a significant contribution and commitment in the past, and those who continue to make a difference today."
During the special program, Verizon recognized key Marylanders in the areas of community service, education and healthcare. Recipients of the 2013 Verizon Community Innovator Award included:
- Alycia A. Marshall, Ph.D., interim chair of the mathematics department of Anne Arundel Community College
- Michael E. Cryor, president of The Cryor Group
- Marietta A. English, president of the Baltimore Teachers Union and American Federation of Teachers – Maryland
- Rev. Debra Hickman, M. Div., president and chief executive officer of Sisters Together and Reaching (STAR)
- Harold Reid, executive director, Liberty Road Business Association
- Joy Hill Whitaker, chief development officer of the Boys & Girls Club of Southern Maryland
- Joan Jones, president of Bel Alton High School Alumni Association Community Development Corporation
- Traviss A. Green, chief technology transition officer of Lockheed Martin Information Systems and Global Solutions
Prince George's County
- Earle Gumbs, president of Marlow-Hillcrest Heights Civic Association
- Thurman D. Jones Jr., president of the Patriots Technology Training Center
Verizon Communications Inc. (NYSE, Nasdaq: VZ), headquartered in New York, is a global leader in delivering broadband and other wireless and wireline communications services to consumer, business, government and wholesale customers. Verizon Wireless operates America's most reliable wireless network, with more than 98 million retail connections nationwide. Verizon also provides converged communications, information and entertainment services over America's most advanced fiber-optic network, and delivers integrated business solutions to customers in more than 150 countries, including all of the Fortune 500. A Dow 30 company with nearly $116 billion in 2012 revenues, Verizon employs a diverse workforce of 183,400. For more information, visit www.verizon.com.
VERIZON'S ONLINE NEWS CENTER: Verizon news releases, executive speeches and biographies, media contacts, high-quality video and images, and other information are available at Verizon's News Center on the World Wide Web at www.verizon.com/news. To receive news releases by email, visit the News Center and register for customized automatic delivery of Verizon news releases.