Lytro Unveils Perspective Shift and Living Filters for New Ways to Experience Living Pictures
Lytro Inc., creator of the world's first consumer light field camera, announced today it will unveil a new light field technology capability for the Lytro camera with Perspective Shift as well as new creative tools with Living Filters. These features will be available to customers starting December 4th via a free Lytro Desktop software update.
Perspective Shift lets Lytro photographers interactively change the point of view in a picture after it has been taken. On a computer or mobile device, viewers can move the living picture in any direction – left, right, up, down and all around. When pictures are shared to the web, Facebook and Twitter, friends can experience Perspective Shift without needing any special software. Perspective Shift also works retroactively on any light field pictures previously taken with a Lytro camera.
“By capturing the light field, the Lytro camera lets photographers achieve things that were never before possible. The first groundbreaking capability was focusing pictures after they were taken and now we are excited to offer Perspective Shift, which brings living pictures to life in an entirely new way,” said Ren Ng, founder and executive chairman of Lytro.
“The new Perspective Shift from Lytro is fun and artistic! I've had a wonderful time running around with my Lytro camera to grab little scenes and bend them into this new way of seeing living photos. The idea that you can take any little scene and make it like interactive Matrix-bullet-time is really cool," said Trey Ratcliff, renowned landscape photographer and Lytro pro-shooter team member.
In addition to Perspective Shift, Lytro announced a new way to enhance light field pictures with Living Filters. With a single click, Lytro photographers will be able to apply one of nine interactive filters to their pictures and change the look of the picture based on light field depth. Unlike traditional digital photo filters, Living Filters create additional effects as viewers interact with a picture. Living Filters is a free update to Lytro Desktop and works on all Lytro light field pictures, including retroactively.
New Living Filters:
- Carnival: Twist and distort your picture as you refocus and change perspective as if you're in a funhouse of mirrors.
- Crayon: Add a touch of color to a monochrome version of your picture. Click to focus and add color into your scene, or change your perspective and add color back into your scene as you explore.
- Glass: Put a sheet of virtual glass into your scene. Everything in front of where you click will be unchanged, and everything behind will appear to be behind a piece of frosted glass.
- Line Art: Reduce your scene to a grayscale outline, seeing more detailed lines where you refocus.
- Mosaic: Create a tiled mosaic in the out-of-focus parts of your scene as you click or change your perspective.
- Blur+: Significantly enhance the amount of blur in the out-of-focus parts of your scene.
- Pop: Make parts of your scene pop out with extra detail and vibrancy when those areas are clicked.
- Film Noir: Add a moody and stylized black and white look to your pictures, with a little bit of extra detail and color where you click.
- 8-Track: Bring back the ‘70s with this filter that adds an aged, vignetted look to your pictures. Click to un-age parts of your scene and see them come back to life, disco suit not required.
“Having the ability to play with tiles of your living pictures while you refocus with Mosaic or to give an evening shot more drama with Film Noir will let Lytro camera owners and their friends and family have even more fun with the light field and the living pictures it creates,” said Eric Cheng, director of photography at Lytro.
To view Lytro pictures and get more information on Perspective Shift and Living Filters, visit these picture galleries:
Perspective Shift Gallery: http://pictures.lytro.com
Living Filters Gallery: https://pictures.lytro.com/lytroweb/stories/83282
The Lytro camera Learn Page: https://www.lytro.com/learn
For an overview of Perspective Shift, check out this video:
Perspective Shift Video: http://youtu.be/qHso9uLc8Dg
Lytro is transforming the camera into a powerful computational photography platform, forever changing the way everyone takes and experiences pictures. The first Lytro Light Field Camera offers photographic capabilities never before possible, such as focusing a picture after it's taken, and creates interactive living pictures that can be endlessly refocused and enjoyed by friends and family online. Founder and Executive Chairman Ren Ng, whose Ph.D. research on light field photography won Stanford University's prize for best thesis in computer science in 2006 as well as the internationally recognized ACM Dissertation award, founded the company in 2006.
For additional information, visit Lytro.com.
The OutCast Agency
Sheeva Zarechian, 415-392-8282