Earnings Expectations for the Week of August 15
Earnings season is not over yet. Among the companies on deck to report quarterly results this coming week are Deere (NYSE: DE), Smucker (NYSE: SJM) and Estee Lauder (NYSE: EL). Analysts expect Deere's per-share earnings to be more than 13% higher than a year ago. Smucker's earnings are forecast to be marginally higher, while those of Estee Lauder are predicted to have slipped about a nickel per share.
But the real focus will be on retail and tech earnings. Walmart (NYSE: WMT), Home Depot (NYSE: HD) and Abercrombie & Fitch (NYSE: ANF) are scheduled to post second-quarter results, and Dell (NASDAQ: DELL) and Hewlett-Packard (NYSE: HPQ) will be stepping into the earnings spotlight as well. Here's a look at what analysts anticipate from these and many others in these sectors this week.
Walmart, the largest retailer in the world, is forecast to post second-quarter earnings of $1.08 per share on revenues of $108.3 billion on Tuesday. That is up from $0.97 per share and $103.7 billion in the same period of last year. Analysts are looking for big-box home improvement chain Home Depot to report Tuesday that earnings are up 13.3% from a year ago to $0.83 per share, while revenues come in at $19.9 billion, an increase of just 2.8%. And Wednesday, hip specialty retailer Abercrombie & Fitch is expected to report per-share earnings up a nickel per share to $0.29, but revenue that jumped 18.0% year-over-year to $880.2 million. Note that none of these three retailers have fallen short of consensus earnings estimates in recent quarters.
Here is a look at the consensus earnings forecasts for some of the week's other anticipated double-digit gainers in retail.
- Ann (NYSE: ANN): EPS up 28.9% to $0.45 (reports Friday)
- BJ's Wholesale Club (NYSE: BJ): EPS up 13.0% to $0.77 (reports Wednesday)
- Buckle (NYSE: BKE): EPS up 13.7% to $0.51 (reports Thursday)
- Chico's FAS (NYSE: CHS): EPS up 29.2% to $0.24 (reports Wednesday)
- Dick's Sporting Goods (NYSE: DKS): EPS up 13.3% to $0.50 (reports Tuesday)
- Dollar Tree (NASDAQ: DLTR): EPS up 18.7% to $0.75 (reports Thursday)
- Foot Locker (NYSE: FL): EPS up 63.6% to $0.11 (reports Thursday)
- Hibbett Sports (NASDAQ: HIBB): EPS up 26.3% to $0.19 (reports Friday)
- Limited Brands (NYSE: LTD): EPS up 21.7% to $0.46 (reports Wednesday)
- Lowe's Companies (NYSE: LOW): EPS up 12.1% to $0.66 (reports Monday)
- PetSmart (NASDAQ: PETM): EPS up 19.6% to $0.51 (reports Wednesday)
- Ross Stores (NASDAQ: ROST): EPS up 16.4% to $1.28 (reports Thursday)
- TJX Companies (NYSE: TJX): EPS up 18.0% to $0.89 (reports Tuesday)
Staples (NASDAQ: SPLS) per-share earnings are expected to be about the same as in the year-ago quarter, while retailers expected to report declining earnings this week include GameStop (NYSE: GME), Gap (NYSE: GPS), Kirklands (NASDAQ: KIRK) and Urban Outfitters (NASDAQ: URBN).
Analysts foresee a report of earnings growth from Dell on Tuesday despite weak growth in PC shipments. The Texas-based computer and smartphone maker is expected to post second-quarter earnings of $0.49 per share on revenues of $15.8 billion. That compares with $0.32 per share and $15.5 billion in the same period a year ago. Things are not as rosy for rival Hewlett-Packard. Its anticipated fiscal third-quarter earnings of $1.09 per share would be about the same as a year ago, while revenues are forecast to be up just 1.5% to $31.2 billion. While analysts underestimated Dell earnings by 25% or more in the past three quarters, HP has only topped consensus estimates by about a nickel or so per share in that time.
By and large, expectations for this week's other tech earnings are positive.
- Agilent Technologies (NYSE: A): EPS up 26.0% to $0.73 (reports Monday)
- Analog Devices (NYSE: ADI): EPS up 12.2% to $0.74 (reports Tuesday)
- Autodesk (NASDAQ: ADSK): EPS up 12.2% to $0.41 (reports Thursday)
- NetApp (NASDAQ: NTAP): EPS up 10.9% to $0.55 (reports Wednesday)
- NetEase.com (NASDAQ: NTES): EPS up 29.5% to $0.78 (reports Wednesday)
- Salesforce.com (NYSE: CRM): EPS up 3.3% to $0.30 (reports Thursday)
- Tech Data (NASDAQ: TECD): EPS up 14.6% to $0.96 (reports Thursday)
Marvell Technology Group's (NASDAQ: MRVL) per-share earnings are predicted to have slipped three cents per share.
© 2015 Benzinga.com. Benzinga does not provide investment advice. All rights reserved.