EUR / USD – Trying to Hold On to the Key Level of 1.33
As expected, the Euro ran into a brick wall at 1.34 which was a previous resistance level earlier last year. In doing so however, this pushed the Euro up into territory not seen in nine months. The Euro finished last week very strongly surging up through the resistance level at 1.33 that had established itself over the last month or so and this level has resurfaced in the last day providing much needed support. In the last couple of days however, the Euro has tracked down through 1.33 a little however it has been quickly bought up at prices above 1.3260. In the daily chart, the Euro is presently forming a doji pattern representing indecision and this can often be a reversal signal.
Back in the middle of December, the Euro established a neat trading range trading between the significant level at 1.3150 and 1.33, after having broken through the resistance level around 1.3150. It eventually broke down through the support level at 1.3150 earlier this month moving sharply back to the round price level at 1.30. This level stood up and provided strong support for the Euro which resulted in the strong push higher to end last week.
Both 1.33 and 1.34 remain current key levels although the former level is the most significant presently as the Euro is trying to hold on to it.
(Daily chart / 4 hourly chart below)
|Jan 16 at 22:15 GMT|
|1.3288 / 89||H: 1.3325||L: 1.3256|
EUR/USD Long – Short Ratio
(Shows the ratio of long vs. short positions held for the EUR/USD among all OANDA clients. The left percentage (blue) shows long positions; the right percentage (orange) shows short positions.)
- During the early hours of the Asian trading session on Thursday, the Euro is consolidating a little just below the key level at 1.33.
- The 1.33 level emerged as a key level over the last month and in the last couple of days, the Euro has just fallen below a touch.
- There are now several levels likely to offer support over the longer term should the Euro ease off from its present trading levels. Eg. 1.3150, 1.30, and 1.28.
- Current range: Right around 1.33.
Further levels in both directions:
- Below: 1.3150, 1.3000 and 1.2800.
- Above: 1.3400 and 1.3500.
- AU 0:30 (GMT) Employment (Dec)
- AU 0:30 (GMT) Unemployment (Dec)
- CH 8:15 (GMT) Producer & Import prices (Dec)
- US 13:30 (GMT) Building Permits (Dec)
- US 13:30 (GMT) Housing Starts (Dec)
- US 15:00 (GMT) Philadelphia Fed Survey (Jan)
This article is for general information purposes only. It is not investment advice or a solution to buy or sell securities. Opinions are the authors; not necessarily that of OANDA Corporation or any of its affiliates, subsidiaries, officers or directors. Leveraged trading is high risk and not suitable for all. You could lose all of your deposited funds.
The following article is from one of our external contributors. It does not represent the opinion of Benzinga and has not been edited.