Kentucky is home to some of the finest banks in the country. Deciding which bank to choose can be a hassle. But don’t worry, Benzinga’s got you.
We’ve made a list of the top banks Kentucky has to offer along with the details of what makes them stand out. As you read through our comprehensive review, match your needs with the banks that offer that suit you best.
Best Banks in Kentucky Near You:
- Best for Loans: U.S. Bank
- Best for Students: PNC
- Best for Specialized Accounts: Fifth Third Bank
- Best for Credit Cards: Chase
- Best for Business Mobile Banking: Community Trust Bank
Best for Loans: U.S. Bank
U.S. Bank has the largest geographical footprint in Kentucky with 123 branches in 60 different cities and towns in the state of Kentucky. The bank also has 2,772 more offices in 25 states, making it highly accessible.
U.S. Bank offers multiple options if you’re looking for a loan. Some of them include:
- Home equity offers 4 ways to access your home equity — a line of credit, loan, no-cost closing and cash at closing.
- Auto loans offer rates as low as 3.09% annual percentage rate (APR) and are available for auto loans on meeting certain requirements.
- Personal loans up to $25,000 or get access to a line of credit.
- Boat and RV loans get loans of up to $150,000 on new and used boats or RVs at 5.24% APR.
Best for Students: PNC
PNC is an excellent bank for personal, small business and even corporates. It operates with 87 branches in 36 different cities and towns in the state of Kentucky. The bank also has 2,223 offices in 21 states.
PNC offers great options for credit cards, lending solutions for students who need a loan and a special account for student banking known as Virtual Wallet Student.
Virtual Wallet Student requires no minimum balance or monthly service charge for 6 years from the date of opening. After 6 years, it will convert to its standard Virtual Wallet and be subjected to its fees and features. The standard Virtual Wallet is a combination of a checking and savings account with online and mobile banking tools.
Best for Specialized Accounts: Fifth Third Bank
Fifth Third Bank operates with 85 branches in 38 different cities and towns in the state of Kentucky. The bank also has 1080 more offices in 9 states.
Apart from traditional accounts, Fifth Third Bank also offers specialized accounts that cater to unique needs. Some of them include:
- Fifth Third Preferred Checking: Earn higher interest on your checking account and get preferred discounts, benefits and services.
- Fifth Third Student Banking: Only for students who are at least 13. Receive the same benefits as the regular checking account with no monthly service charge.
- Fifth Third Military Checking: For military families, including active duty, retired, reserve/guard and veterans. It also includes the commissioned officers of the Public Health Service and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.
- Fifth Third Express Banking: Get immediate access to your money and the convenience and security of a banking relationship.
- Fifth Third ABLE Checking: The account allows individuals with disabilities and their families to save for future qualified expenses without losing access to federal benefits.
Best for Credit Cards: Chase
Chase is 1 of the largest banks in the U.S. and operates with 50 branches in 16 different cities and towns in the state of Kentucky. The bank also has 4,845 more offices in 31 states.
Chase is very popular for its credit cards. The bank offers 27 rewards credit cards in total that are broadly categorized into travel, business, cashback, no annual fee, airline and hotel. Each category is packed with benefits and can certainly save you a lot of money if used well.
The bank offers several choices when it comes to the type of credit — Visa, Mastercard, EMV card with chip and the like. It also has a category known as ‘Refer a Friend’ card where you earn rewards for each friend who gets 1 of your cards.
Best for Business Mobile Banking: Community Trust Bank
Community Trust Bank has over 70 branches in 41 different cities and towns in the state of Kentucky. It also has 6 banking locations in West Virginia and 3 in Tennessee.
Community Trust Bank offers excellent business banking services. Its mobile banking for business allows you to conduct financial transactions remotely using a mobile device. Some of the great benefits of this service include unlimited access, bill payment, fund transfer between CTB accounts, remote deposit capture and a comprehensive view of your account history.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Can you have checking accounts at multiple banks?
A: Yes. But having all your accounts at 1 bank simplifies the banking process. There are pros to having multiple checking accounts. Be sure to manage multiple accounts carefully.
Q: When you open a deposit account, what disclosures does a bank have to make?
A: Every bank must provide you with details about its products for transparency. These include minimum balance requirements, interest rates, service fees, transaction limits
Find the Right Bank in Kentucky
When searching for a bank in Kentucky, make sure you check out multiple banks so that you can compare and contrast the fees and charges of the ones that meet your needs. Choosing the right account for your lifestyle can help you make the most out of a bank.
To determine the best banks in Kentucky, Benzinga analyzed over 100 banks and financial institutions. We gave weight to banks in Kentucky with co-op ATMs and cash-back options. We also gave greater rankings to banks that offered the following: checking and savings accounts, online banking, personal loans, mortgages, educational resources and a mobile app.
Hire a Pro: Compare Financial Advisors In Your Area
Finding the right financial advisor that fits your needs doesn't have to be hard. SmartAsset's free tool matches you with fiduciary financial advisors in your area in 5 minutes. Each advisor has been vetted by SmartAsset and is legally bound to act in your best interests. If you're ready to be matched with local advisors that will help you achieve your financial goals, get started now.