Life insurance probably isn’t the first thing that comes to mind when you think of AAA. You’re probably more familiar with its roadside assistance and excellent discounts on travel. It’s offered life insurance since 1969 as another way to protect you and your family.
AAA Life Insurance Company has an A rating from AM Best and has over 1.5 million active policies. It offers policies you can purchase directly and others you can purchase through an agent. In general, higher death benefit amounts are only available through an agent.
AAA offers several customer service options, including live chat on its website. It also offers discounts on certain policies if you’re a AAA member, but you don’t have to be a member to buy AAA life insurance.
- AAA members
- Guaranteed issue life insurance
- Variety of life insurance options
- Buy policies online, by phone or through an agent
- High death benefit amounts available
- Discounts for AAA members
- Not all policies are available online or by phone
AAA Life Insurance Review Ratings at a Glance
AAA offers multiple types of life insurance, including both term and whole life insurance options. While most policies require you to get in touch with a representative to get a quote, AAA’s diverse range of plan options can make it appealing for those looking to compare multiple coverage types.
Let’s take a look at some of AAA’s life insurance policy options, available to individuals and married couples.
Term Life Insurance
Term life insurance is the most popular type of life insurance available, offering coverage for a limited period of time, referred to as the policy’s term. If the policyholder dies during the term, beneficiaries receive the death benefit. If the policyholder outlives the policy, the term policy expires — though you may be able to extend the policy to include whole life coverage.
AAA term life insurance offers two application methods, which determine the type of coverage you’ll qualify for.
- Traditional term life: AAA offers traditional term life insurance policies, with term options ranging between 10 and 30 years and death benefits ranging from $100,000 to more than $5 million. To learn about pricing and qualifications for traditional term policies, you’ll need to connect with a representative.
- ExpressTerm life: If you’re looking for quicker term coverage with a more convenient buying process, ExpressTerm life insurance could be the right option for you. ExpressTerm policies are available with terms between 10 and 30 years and death benefits up to $500,000. The ExpressTerm application is easy and straightforward; most users will get a quote in less than 10 minutes.
Though you don’t need to be an AAA member to purchase Triple A life insurance, some members will receive discounts on coverage depending on your state.
Whole Life Insurance
If you’re looking for more permanent coverage with added living benefits, whole life could be a good option for you. Whole life insurance is a type of permanent life insurance that provides coverage for the entire lifetime of the insured. It offers a death benefit to beneficiaries upon the insured's death and a cash value component that grows over time, providing a combination of protection and savings.
AAA currently offers two options to get whole life insurance coverage.
- Standard issue whole life: AAA’s standard life insurance allows you to lock in your rate for the entire term of your policy, guaranteeing a death benefit as long as you remain current on coverage. Policies are available up to age 85 and with death benefits as high as $75,000.
- Guaranteed issue whole life: Guaranteed Issue whole life is available 100% online for applicants age 45 and above. No medical exam is required, and you can buy up to $25,000 worth of permanent life coverage with just a few clicks.
While these death benefits are lower than most competitors, they offer a convenient buying process and policy application flexibility that some customers may prefer.
In addition to term and whole life insurance, AAA also offers universal life insurance options. Universal life insurance is a type of permanent life insurance that offers flexibility in premium payments and death benefit amounts. It combines a death benefit with a cash value component that grows over time, allowing you to adjust the coverage and premiums to meet changing financial needs.
AAA offers two universal life insurance products.
- LifeTime universal life: This coverage offers universal life insurance coverage with guaranteed level premiums. Benefits begin at $100,000 and require a medical exam and agent consultation to get the best price.
- Accumulator universal life: This type of coverage accumulates more cash value than LifeTerm policies, but premiums may change as rates change. Benefits also begin at $100,000, and you must consult with an agent to learn more about pricing and qualifications.
In addition to three types of life insurance, AAA also offers two final products.
- Accident insurance: If you’re a current AAA member, you qualify to purchase up to $1,500 in daily benefits that can help cover medical expenses following an accident. Cash benefits from this coverage may be applied to hospitalization, recuperation or urgent care expenses.
- Annuities: If you’re looking to create a stream of income for retirement, you may want to consider one of AAA’s multiple annuity options. AAA allows you to start an annuity with a minimum of $3,000, and some policies also offer guaranteed rates of return.
While accident insurance and annuities are not forms of life insurance, they can be useful additions for anyone considering AAA life coverage.
AAA offers a robust customer service infrastructure you can use to keep in contact with the team throughout the process. Customer service is available over the phone at (888) 422-7020, Monday through Friday 8 a.m. through 8 p.m. EST. Customer service is also available on Saturdays between 11 a.m. and 3 p.m. EST.
AAA also offers a mobile app, available for Android and iOS users as a free download. AAA offers a series of in-person locations you can use to consult with a representative directly. Use AAA’s customer service locator tool to find your nearest AAA insurance office.
To help you get an idea of what you might pay for whole and term life insurance from AAA, Benzinga requested a few quotes for policy options. View the table below to get an idea of current AAA life insurance rates.
|Policyholder details||Coverage type||Term||Death benefit||Price per month|
|45-year-old female||Guaranteed Issue Whole Life||-||$10,000||$46.00|
|50-year-old male||Guaranteed Issue Whole Life||-||$10,000||$58.00|
|45-year-old female||Guaranteed Issue Whole Life||-||$25,000||$93.00|
|50-year-old male||Guaranteed Issue Whole Life||-||$25,000||$127.00|
*All quotes collected on 6/28/2023.
AAA Life Insurance Company offers a range of life insurance options so you can find the right policy regardless of your current needs. Its policies also have several optional add-ons available, including:
- Child term insurance: term insurance on each eligible child.
- Disability waiver of premium: life insurance policy paid for if you’re totally disabled.
- Accidental death: an additional death benefit if you die from an accidental death.
- Travel accident: an additional death benefit if you die while traveling.
The available add-ons vary by insurance policy.
AAA Life Insurance Company has an extensive website that offers advice on types of life insurance, how much to buy and more. Only certain policies are available to buy online, however. And while AAA has a mobile app, it doesn’t support AAA life insurance. Its mobile app is for AAA members and only supports home and auto insurance.
AAA Life Insurance vs. Competitors
Here’s how AAA stacks up against its competitors.
- securely through Ladder Life Insurance's websiteBest For:Adjustable coverage
Ladder Insurance Services, LLC (Cal. license # 0K22568; Ark. license # 3000140372) offers term life insurance policies: (i) in New York, on behalf of Allianz Life Insurance Company of New York, New York, NY (policy form # MN-26); and (ii) in all other states and the District of Columbia on behalf of Allianz Life Insurance Company of North America, Minneapolis, MN (policy form # ICC20P-AZ100 and # P-AZ100). Only Allianz Life Insurance Company of New York is authorized to issue life insurance in the state of New York. Insurance policy prices, coverages, features, terms, benefits, exclusions, limitations and available discounts vary among these insurers and are subject to qualifications. Each insurer is solely responsible for any claims and has financial responsibility for its own products.
- securely through Haven Life Insurance's websiteBest For:Under Age 64
Haven Term is a Term Life Insurance Policy (ICC21 Haven Term in certain states, including NC) issued by C.M. Life Insurance Company (C.M. Life), Enfield, CT 06082. In New York (DTC-NY) and California (DTC-CA), it is issued by Massachusetts Mutual Life Insurance Company (MassMutual), Springfield, MA 01111-0001.
AAA is a solid choice for a life insurance provider. While it doesn’t offer the highest death benefits on whole life plans, term policies are flexible and available up to $5 million. Pricing on policies is higher when you purchase without consulting with a representative, but many plans also allow you to skip a medical exam. This feature can make AAA a great choice for those who prefer a more human touch when buying insurance.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does AAA pay out life insurance?
Yes, AAA is a legitimate life insurance provider, and it does pay out its claims when you qualify. It’s important to read through the details of your policy to be sure that you understand when your beneficiaries qualify for a payout to avoid future frustration.
At What Age Does AAA Life Insurance End?
The best company to purchase life insurance from will vary depending on your needs and location. Benzinga’s life insurance news section is a great place to start exploring coverage options.
Is AAA accident insurance worth it?
AAA accident insurance may be worth the cost if you’re already an AAA member and you don’t have a robust health insurance plan. If you have health insurance, the benefits provided by AAA accident insurance may not be needed.
Submit Your One Minute Opinion
Benzinga crafted a specific methodology to rank life insurance. To see a comprehensive breakdown of our methodology, please visit our Life Insurance Methodology page.