What's The Single Best $10,000 Investment To Hold For The Next 25 Years?
A Reddit poster recently mentioned that one of his coworkers invested $10,000 in Amazon.com, Inc. (NASDAQ: AMZN) back in 1999 and now plans on using his roughly $600,000 in profits to buy a retirement home.
The poster then asked the Reddit community what single investment they would choose if they had to place a $10,000 25-year bet. Here’s a sampling of some of the suggestions.
The top poster suggested the SPDR S&P 500 ETF Trust (NYSE: SPY). While others suggested variations on the S&P 500 bet, such as the Vanguard Admiral VFIAX mutual fund, many agreed with the general idea of market-wide diversification.
The discussion then moved to single-stock picks, and posters had the following 25-year investment suggestions:
- Gilead Sciences, Inc. (NASDAQ: GILD)- “has some crazy good drugs in the pipeline that could basically cure several very nasty diseases.”
- Illumina, Inc. (NASDAQ: ILMN)- “they sell gene sequencing machines, similar to selling shovels during the gold rush.”
- Mercadolibre Inc (NASDAQ: MELI)- “basically the eBay/Paypal/Amazon from 15 years ago.”
- JD.Com Inc (ADR) (NASDAQ: JD)- “stealing market share from Alibaba every year and [trades] at a very low multiple of projected cash flow despite ultra fast growth rate.”
- Ford Motor Company (NYSE: F)- “dividends alone would be a decent margin.”
- iShares MSCI Emerging Markets Indx (ETF) (NYSE: EEM)- “book value as well as the price to earnings is historically low for emerging markets which should perform well in the long run.”
- SolarCity Corp (NASDAQ: SCTY)- “solar is the future and everyone knows it.”
- Tesla Motors Inc (NASDAQ: TSLA)- “25 years from now I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s the dominant automaker in the United States.”
Disclosure: the author holds no position in the stocks mentioned.
© 2016 Benzinga.com. Benzinga does not provide investment advice. All rights reserved.