Xiaomi's $64 Camera Burns GoPro, But Boosts Ambarella
GoPro Inc (NASDAQ: GPRO) stock is down more than 4 percent on Monday after Chinese smartphone company Xiaomi launched a wearable action camera that offers similar features as the GoPro Hero camera.
The new Yi Action Camera retails at $64, half the price of the GoPro Hero, which is available for $130. It features a 16-megapixel camera, which can shoot 1080p video at 60 frames per second, better than the Hero (which shoots 1080p video at 30 fps, or 720p film at 60 fps). The device also has a better image sensor than the Hero, and double the storage space.
Although the Yi will first be obtainable in China only, analysts are already speculating about an international release.
Where Does Ambarella Come In?
Ambarella Inc (NASDAQ: AMBA) shares are up more than 6.6 percent on Monday following the news of the Yi launch. Why?
The new Yi camera features an integrated Ambarella A7LS high-performance camera processor. This, and other specs are featured on the Chinese Yi site.
Here are the specs, translated into English:
- Length X width X height: 60.4mm x42mm X21.2mm
- Body weight: 72g
- Ambarella A7LS high-performance image processor
- Sony 16 million pixel back-illuminated Exmor R BSI CMOS image sensor
- HD optical glass aspherical lens / F2.8 large aperture 155 ° super wide-angle
- ST high-performance three-axis gravity sensor
- Professional diving depth of up to 40 meters (waterproof shell accessories sold separately)
- Storage: Maximum support Micro SD 64G
Image credit: Public Domain
© 2017 Benzinga.com. Benzinga does not provide investment advice. All rights reserved.