Stress Test Finale: Everything You Need To Know About Banks Returning Profits To Shareholders
The Federal Reserve’s Comprehensive Capital Analysis and Review (CCAR), also known as the bank "stress test" and now in its sixth year, evaluates the capital planning processes and capital adequacy of the largest U.S.-based bank holding companies. Included in these tests is the firms' planned capital actions such as dividend payments and share buybacks and issuances.
Thirty one of the 33 banks tested received no objections to their capital action plans. Of the 33 U.S. banks, Deutsche Bank AG (USA) (NYSE: DB) and Banco Santander, S.A. (ADR) (NYSE: SAN) failed their tests.
Below are highlights from of all the major news related to the stress test, first posted on Benzinga Pro.
- Comerica Incorporated (NYSE: CMA) Increases Quarterly Dividend To $0.23, Authorizes $440M Buyback
- American Express Company (NYSE: AXP) Received No Objection from Fed on '16 Capital Plan; Raises Qtr. Dividend from $0.29 to $0.32/Share, $3.3B Buyback Plan
- Goldman Sachs Group Inc (NYSE: GS) To Increase Qtr. Dividend, Announces Buyback
- Regions Financial Corp (NYSE: RF) Maintains Dividend And Authorizes $640M Buyback Plan
- BB&T Corporation (NYSE: BBT) Raises Quarterly Dividend From $0.28 To $0.30, Authorizes $640M Buybacks
- TD Bank Says Received No Objection on '16 Capital Plan, No Change to Dividend or Buyback Plan
- KeyCorp (NYSE: KEY) Raises Quarterly Dividend From $0.085 To $0.095, Authorizes $350M Buyback
- SunTrust Banks, Inc. (NYSE: STI) Says No Objection on Capital Plan; Raises Qtr. Dividend from $0.24 to $0.26/Share, $960M Buyback Plan
- Wells Fargo & Co (NYSE: WFC) Makes No Change to Dividend, Does Not Announce New Buyback Plan
- Northern Trust Corporation (NASDAQ: NTRS) Says Fed Gave No Objection to '16 Capital Plan, Raises Qtr. Dividend from $0.36 to $0.38/Share, $275M Buyback Plan
- Citizens Financial Group Inc (NYSE: CFG) Reports Buyback $690M, Potential TO Raise Qtr. Dividend To $0.14/Share In FY17
- M&T Bank Increases Quarterly Dividend From $0.70 To $0.75, Authorizes Buyback Of $1.15B
- PNC Financial Services Group Inc (NYSE: PNC) Announces $2B Buyback Plan, Raises Qtr. Dividend from $0.51 to $0.55/Share
- Bank of New York Mellon Corp (NYSE: BK) To Buyback $2.7B Shares, Increases Qtr. Dividend From $0.17 To $0.19/Share
- Fifth Third Bancorp (NASDAQ: FITB) Raised Qtr. Dividend from $0.13 to $0.14/Share, $660M Buyback Plan
- Ally Financial Inc (NYSE: ALLY) Says Fed Did Not Object to '16 Capital Plan; Announces New $0.08/Share Qtr. Dividend, $700M Buyback Plan
- Citigroup Inc (NYSE: C) Reports $8.6B Buyback, Increases Qtr. Dividend From $0.05 to $0.16/Share
- 8-K from Bank of America Corp (NYSE: BAC) Shows Raised Qtr. Dividend from $0.05 to $0.075/Share, $5B Buyback Plan
- Discover Financial Services (NYSE: DFS) Raises Qtr. Dividend from $0.28 to $0.30/Share, Announces $1.95B Buyback Plan
- State Street (NYSE: STT) Says Co. Received No Objection from Fed on Capital Plan, Announces $1.4B Buyback Plan, Raising Dividend from $0.34 to $0.38/Share
- Capital One Financial Corp (NYSE: COF) To Buyback $2.5B Shares, Will Maintain $0.40/Share Dividend
- Huntington Bancshares Incorporated (NASDAQ: HBAN) Announces Received No Objection from Fed on Proposed Capital Plan, Will Raise Qtr. Dividend from $0.07 to $0.08/Share
- Morgan Stanley (NYSE: MS) To Buyback $3.5B Stock, Raises Quarterly Dividend From $0.15 To $0.20
- U.S. Bancorp (NYSE: USB) Increases Qtr. Dividend From $0.255 To $0.28/Share, Reports $2.6B Buyback
- Fed Says M&T Bank Corporation (NYSE: MTB) Requested Adjusted Capital Return Following Falling Below the 2 Capital Ratios in Stress Tests
- Fed Says Morgan Stanley Received Conditional Approval for Capital Plan, Will Be Required to Resubmit 2016 Plan
Jason Shubnell and Taylor Cox contributed to this report.
© 2016 Benzinga.com. Benzinga does not provide investment advice. All rights reserved.