MKM: Sell REITs, Buy Utilities
In a report issued Sunday, MKM Partners’ Executive Director and Chief Market Technician, Jonathan Krinsky, shared his weekly technical strategy. This week, the expert recommends selling the REITs and buying utilities.
Krinsky explains that, while a late Friday surge kept the S&P 500 INDEX (INDEXCBOE:SPX) from closing below its 200-day moving average, the Dow Jones Industrial Average (INDEXDJX:.DJI) closed lower for the seventh consecutive day -- its longest down-streak since 2011.
The expert notes that “a bounce may materialize in the near term, [but] breadth continues to deteriorate as the trend becomes more ambiguous.” The firm still sees 2040 as key support for the S&P 500.
The note continues, “As the equity market tries to decide whether the Fed will move in September, the yield curve continues to flatten. In last week's note, we suggested Utilities were showing early signs of relative strength and, as the only sector to gain ground over the last five days, they are likely to gain more attention this week.”
The firm assures that an interesting way to assess the market's risk tolerance is by looking at two industries that are fairly sensitive to interest rates: Utilities and REITs.
What MKM is seeing now is a “more defensive posturing” by Utilities and, “in addition to being a cautious sign for the broad market,” the experts think a good pair trade here is to be long Utilities SPDR (ETF) (NYSE:XLU) and short iShares Dow Jones US Real Estate (ETF) (NYSE:IYR).
Finally, the analysts notice that “Chemical stocks are breaking down” and would thus be sellers of the group. In Emerging Markets, they highlight’s Brazil’s return to 2008 lows in USD terms. This “may offer a tactical bounce, although the primary trend remains bearish.”
Buy rated utilities stocks include:
- Atmos Energy Corporation (NYSE: ATO)
- Consolidated Edison, Inc. (NYSE: ED)
- Laclede Group Inc (NYSE: LG)
- NextEra Energy Inc (NYSE: NEE)
- NorthWestern Corp (NYSE: NWE)
- ONE Gas Inc (NYSE: OGS)
- Public Service Enterprise Group Inc. (NYSE: PEG)
- Piedmont Natural Gas Company, Inc. (NYSE: PNY)
- PPL Corp (NYSE: PPL)
- Southern Co (NYSE: SO)
- WGL Holdings Inc (NYSE: WGL)
- Xcel Energy Inc (NYSE: XEL)
Sell rated REITs are:
- Boston Properties, Inc. (NYSE: BXP)
- Capstead Mortgage Corporation (NYSE: CMO)
- Cousins Properties Inc (NYSE: CUZ)
- Franklin Street Properties Corp. (NYSE: FSP)
- Host Hotels and Resorts Inc (NYSE: HST)
- Inland Real Estate Corporation (NYSE: IRC)
- Liberty Property Trust (NYSE: LPT)
- Corporate Office Properties Trust (NYSE: OFC)
- Tanger Factory Outlet Centers Inc. (NYSE: SKT)
- SL Green Realty Corp (NYSE: SLG)
- Senior Housing Properties Trust (NYSE: SNH)
- Vornado Realty Trust (NYSE: VNO)
Sell rated chemical companies are:
- E I Du Pont De Nemours And Co (NYSE: DD)
- Dow Chemical Co (NYSE: DOW)
- FMC Corp (NYSE: FMC)
- Huntsman Corporation (NYSE: HUN)
- LyondellBasell Industries NV (NYSE: LYB)
- Monsanto Company (NYSE: MON)
- Praxair, Inc. (NYSE: PX)
Latest Ratings for SPX
|Nov 2015||William Blair||Initiates Coverage on||Market Perform|
© 2016 Benzinga.com. Benzinga does not provide investment advice. All rights reserved.