3 High-Yield mREITs Wall Street Is Watching
On February 25, JMP Securities issued a note updating ratings and price targets on the mortgage REIT (mREIT) sector, including:
- Annaly Capital Management, Inc. (NYSE: NLY)
- New York Mortgage Trust Inc (NASDAQ: NYMT)
- ARMOUR Residential REIT, Inc. (NYSE: ARR)
Tale Of The Tape - Past Year
Annaly Capital Management - Market Perform
JMP reiterated its Market Perform rating on the shares of Annaly Capital Management.
- "Annaly Capital reported 4Q core EPS of $0.30, which met [JMP's] estimate, and was a penny below the consensus. Importantly, 4Q core earnings provided full coverage for the current quarterly dividend rate payout of $0.30."
- NLY tangible book value per share was $12.97; "up 1.8% from $12.74 at September 30, topping [JMP's] year-end estimate of $12.77."
- JMP calculated "NLY provided its shareholders with a total economic return (TER) of 18.1% in 2014, (well above the average 2014 TER of 14.7% for the nine agency MREITs…)"
- NLY 2014 TER "is a significant improvement over NLY's 2013 TER of -14.3%, reflecting generally more stable pre-payments and interest rates for most of 2014 compared to 2013."
- JMP noted, "that 2015 will prove to be a more challenging year for NLY and its agency MREIT peers with a flattening yield curve and generally faster pre-payment speeds pressuring earnings and dividends, which is the basis for our Market Perform rating."
New York Mortgage Trust - Market Perform
JMP reiterated its Market Perform rating on the shares of New York Mortgage Trust.
- NYMT "reported 4Q GAAP earnings of $0.42, which significantly beat the consensus of $0.23 provided by SNL Financial."
- "Similar to the 3Q earnings report, the material outperformance in 4Q was driven by three items, which were either non-recurring or non-cash and, therefore, difficult for analysts to predict and model."
- JMP elaborated that "the company sold certain Freddie Mac multi-family securities for a realized gain on sale of $22.7M or ~$0.24 per share. The company also reported an unrealized gain on its multi-family loans held in securitizations of $13.9M or $0.14 per share. Last, realized gains on the sale or refinancing of distressed residential loans contributed $4.9M or $0.05 of total earnings."
- JMP reiterated its Market Perform rating on NYMT "primarily due to the company's premium P/BV valuation of 1.09x compared to a peer group average of 0.91x for the credit/hybrid MREITs."
ARMOUR Residential REIT - Market Perform
JMP reiterated its Market Perform rating on ARMOUR Residential REIT.
- ARMOUR "reported core EPS of $0.10, $0.01 ahead of [JMP's] $0.09 estimate, but $0.02 below consensus of $0.12."
- JMP noted that "Core EPS was also down $0.03 from $0.13 in the third quarter, and came in $0.02 below the 1Q15 monthly dividend rate of $0.04."
- JMP calculated a "total economic return (TER) of 4.8% for ARR for full-year 2014, compared to an agency peer group average of 14.7%."
- JMP calculates its TER metric based upon a formula easy for investors to understand: (change in book value plus dividends paid).
Image credit: Achim Christoph, Wikimedia
Latest Ratings for NLY
|Aug 2016||Deutsche Bank||Maintains||Hold|
|Aug 2016||Keefe Bruyette & Woods||Maintains||Market Perform|
|Mar 2016||Compass Point||Downgrades||Buy||Neutral|
© 2016 Benzinga.com. Benzinga does not provide investment advice. All rights reserved.