Freshpet kicks off summer with vet-approved tips to keep pets safe
SECAUCUS, N.J., June 21, 2022 /PRNewswire/ -- Extreme temperatures and booming sounds can have big impacts on our pets. With record-breaking heat forecast across much of the nation and Independence Day celebrations on the horizon, Freshpet is helping pet parents prepare for the official arrival of summer with tips that can help keep their pets healthy and safe.
Heat stroke can occur quickly in dogs. Without the ability to sweat the same way humans do, it's important for pet parents to understand ways to cool their pets down when temperatures rise, and how to avoid common mistakes to keep their pets safe.
"Just because we can manage the heat and humidity, doesn't mean our pets can," said Dr. Aziza Glass, Freshpet's expert veterinarian. "Our pets are vulnerable to temperatures over 80 degrees. However, there are things that we can do to keep our pets safe and protected from heat-related injuries, and some may come as a surprise."
- Fill their Water Bowls: Just like us, clean water is essential when managing the heat. Cool water can help cool down your pet's body temperature. Moisture-rich fresh food, like Freshpet, can also help with hydration.
- Limit time outdoors: While outdoor activities are typically recommended for pets, their inability to sweat the same way humans do can cause them to heat up quickly. Limit walks to early morning or after the sun sets and stay indoors the rest of the day.
- Avoid shaving your pet: While summer cuts for long-haired dogs are okay, shaving your pet can expose their skin to harmful sun damage and cause overheating more quickly.
Glass says pet parents should become educated on how to recognize heat stroke. Heavy panting, drooling, high body temperature, increased heart rate and fatigue are signs of heat stroke in dogs. "If you believe your dog is having a heat stroke, bring them indoors immediately to help cool down," she added. "A common mistake is putting the pet in a cold ice bath. That can actually shock their system and cause quick changes in their blood pressure. Instead, soak a towel in room temperature water and wipe your dog down to start the process of cooling them down. Afterwards, proceed immediately to your primary care veterinarian or closest emergency center."
Booming sounds and crackling fireworks can send some pets into sensory overdrive. According to Glass, with an elevated ability to interpret sound frequencies audibly and physically, a dog's sensitivity to loud noises means Fourth of July celebrations can make for particularly anxious events. Their reactions can send them under beds and jumping fences to flee from the sounds, but there are ways to help make the holiday a bit less stressful for our canine companions.
- Create a calm environment: Try to understand if your neighbors plan to launch fireworks. If so, create a space that helps your dog deal with the noise. A sound machine, lavender oil on their collar and snuggles under blankets can help.
- Remain indoors: Avoid taking your dog outside if you're planning to view fireworks or set off your own. A dog's first reaction can be to flee from the noise and search for a safe spot, placing them in more danger.
- Stay close: Pets feel less anxious when they feel safe. Make sure you or someone they feel safe with is by their side until the fireworks are over, offering comfort, treats and affection throughout the evening.
Freshpet's mission is to improve the lives of dogs and cats through the power of fresh, real food. Freshpet recipies are blends of fresh meats, vegetables and fruits farmed locally and made at their Kitchens in Bethlehem, PA. Thoughtfully prepared, all food is made using natural ingredients, cooking in small batches at lower temperatures to preserve the natural goodness of the ingredients. Freshpet foods and treats are kept refrigerated from the moment they are made until they arrive at Freshpet fridges in your local market.
Freshpet is available in select mass, grocery (including online), natural food, club, and pet specialty retailers across the United States, Canada and Europe. From the care taken to source ingredients and make each recipe, to the moment it reaches your home, Freshpet's integrity, transparency and social responsibility are the way they like to run their business.
© 2022 Benzinga.com. Benzinga does not provide investment advice. All rights reserved.
Ad Disclosure: The rate information is obtained by Bankrate from the listed institutions. Bankrate cannot guaranty the accuracy or availability of any rates shown above. Institutions may have different rates on their own websites than those posted on Bankrate.com. The listings that appear on this page are from companies from which this website receives compensation, which may impact how, where, and in what order products appear. This table does not include all companies or all available products.
All rates are subject to change without notice and may vary depending on location. These quotes are from banks, thrifts, and credit unions, some of whom have paid for a link to their own Web site where you can find additional information. Those with a paid link are our Advertisers. Those without a paid link are listings we obtain to improve the consumer shopping experience and are not Advertisers. To receive the Bankrate.com rate from an Advertiser, please identify yourself as a Bankrate customer. Bank and thrift deposits are insured by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. Credit union deposits are insured by the National Credit Union Administration.
Consumer Satisfaction: Bankrate attempts to verify the accuracy and availability of its Advertisers' terms through its quality assurance process and requires Advertisers to agree to our Terms and Conditions and to adhere to our Quality Control Program. If you believe that you have received an inaccurate quote or are otherwise not satisfied with the services provided to you by the institution you choose, please click here.
Rate collection and criteria: Click here for more information on rate collection and criteria.