Market Overview

January is Carbon Monoxide Awareness Month in New York State

Share:

New York auto injury attorney William Mattar reminds families to make sure they have working carbon monoxide detectors in the home.

BUFFALO, N.Y. (PRWEB) January 13, 2018

January is Carbon Monoxide (CO) Poisoning Awareness Month in the state of New York. William Mattar law offices would like you and your family to be aware of this lethal gas and its harmful effects.

Amanda's Law: The Hansen Family from West Seneca, NY worked very hard to get Amanda's Law passed in 2010, as their daughter tragically passed away from carbon monoxide poisoning while on a sleepover at a friend's home the year prior. This law requires that carbon monoxide alarms be installed in all new and existing one and two-family homes, multi-family homes, and rentals having any fuel-burning appliance, system, or attached garage. Alarms must be replaced every 5 years and installed on each level of the home and
outside of sleeping areas.

Winter weather forces gas furnaces to cycle more than usual which can cause a fast buildup of carbon monoxide leaking in a home. Since carbon monoxide is odorless and colorless, having a detector is the best way to keep your family safe.

If you need a carbon monoxide detector, they can be found at most home improvement stores and stores with a home and hardware section. Some basic models are about $10, which is a very small investment to help your family stay safe.

Helping Their Neighbors: The Firm in Action:

William Mattar law offices has been spreading awareness on the dangers of carbon monoxide for several years. Because of that awareness, a William Mattar staff member was able to spring into action to help a local family when she learned a local single mother was having trouble with recent furnace repairs and everyone in the home was feeling unwell. Suspecting a carbon monoxide leak, she made some phone calls to see if a reputable and licensed furnace repair company could examine the situation. The results stunned everyone. Not only was the furnace in dire need of being replaced but it was leaking carbon monoxide. Had the furnace had not been replaced right away it would have kept releasing toxic levels of carbon monoxide into the air. It was determined that if help was not called in to fix the situation, the family wouldn't have made it through the weekend. This is just one example of countless lives saved through the awareness of the dangers of carbon monoxide. And if the family had a working carbon monoxide detector, it could have alerted them before they started feeling ill.

In the past William Mattar has supported programs to help distribute thousands of dollars worth of carbon monoxide detectors, and have worked to give a voice to this cause by raising awareness and encouraging everyone to test the health of their current detectors or replace them.

About William Mattar:

New York auto accident attorney William Mattar has helped thousands across the state. With a focus on auto injuries William Mattar has created many annual campaigns aimed at keeping communities safe and raising awareness. Through donations, sponsorships and public service announcements, William Mattar supports a number of community organizations. William Mattar law offices was originally founded in 1990 and through the firm's steady growth, give back to the community in a number of ways each
year. "Helping People.. It's What We Do" is not only one of their slogans. It's the way they treat clients and reach out to neighbors.

For the original version on PRWeb visit: http://www.prweb.com/releases/2018/01/prweb15083180.htm

View Comments and Join the Discussion!