Delivering The Truth For More Than 35 Years: e.p.t® Survey Explores Emotional Side Of Home Pregnancy Testing
New survey highlights women's experiences as they wait to find out if they are pregnant and how attitudes have changed over the years
TARRYTOWN, N.Y., May 24, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- In celebration of its upcoming 40th anniversary, e.p.t®, the makers of the original home pregnancy test, explored the emotional journey that women experience as they wait to find out if they are pregnant – and how it has changed over the years. The survey asked more than 600 women within two age groups, ages 22 – 34 and 60+, their thoughts about finding out whether they were pregnant and what the experience was like at the time.
"As the brand that invented the at-home pregnancy test and changed the way women find out they're pregnant, e.p.t® has been delivering that life changing moment of truth, with accuracy, since 1977," said Antoniette Vessa, Women's Health Brand Manager at Prestige Brands. "Now, we're sharing insight about the emotions that women experience during home pregnancy testing and showing how attitudes have changed over the past 40 years."
The survey uncovered a range of emotions and experiences related to finding out about pregnancy, with the majority of women (75 percent) agreeing that home testing has significantly improved the process. The top findings include:
The Truth Can Be Surprising
- Good things can happen when you least expect them – 45 percent of women surveyed said their pregnancy was unplanned.
The Truth Can Be Scary
- When it came to confirming their pregnancy with a home pregnancy test, 55 percent of women were relieved to find out they weren't pregnant.
- Nearly 4 in 10 women (37 percent) taking a home pregnancy admitted to feeling more scared than excited (28 percent) about finding out whether they were pregnant.
Truth at Home (Goodbye Waiting Room)
- In the days before home pregnancy testing, most women (82 percent) would make appointments with their doctors to confirm the pregnancy – many (two-thirds) waiting up to eight weeks after suspecting they might be pregnant.
- Today, nearly half of women (47 percent) learn that they are pregnant within the first 4 weeks of their pregnancy. Only a small number (two percent) find out in their second trimester.
- Though many respondents aged 60 or older (38 percent) were skeptical about the efficacy of at-home pregnancy tests when they first hit shelves nearly 40 years ago, most women (81 percent) now consider them the first step in confirming a pregnancy.
Moment of Truth: The Suspense is Over
- When you're waiting for some of the biggest news of your life, time is of the essence. Approximately 8 out of 10 women first learned they were pregnant from an at-home pregnancy test, and nearly half said they took the test immediately after buying it.
- While home pregnancy testing is commonplace among women today, only 16 percent of respondents aged 60 or older have ever taken one.
The survey was conducted by online research and survey technology provider Toluna, from April 4 to April 12, 2016.
About Prestige Brands Holdings, Inc.
The Company markets and distributes brand name over-the-counter and household cleaning products throughout the U.S. and Canada, Australia, and in certain other international markets. The Company's brands include Monistat® women's health products, BC® and Goody's® pain relievers, Clear Eyes® eye care products, DenTek® specialty oral care products, Dramamine® motion sickness treatments, Chloraseptic® sore throat treatments, Compound W® wart treatments, Little Remedies® pediatric over-the-counter products, The Doctor's® NightGuard® dental protector, Efferdent® denture care products, Luden's® throat drops, Beano® gas prevention, Debrox® earwax remover, Gaviscon® antacid in Canada, and Hydralyte® rehydration products and the Fess® line of nasal and sinus care products in Australia. Visit the Company's website at www.prestigebrands.com.
Liz Wiener Neale
Golin for e.p.t®
To view the original version on PR Newswire, visit:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/delivering-the-truth-for-more-than-35-years-ept-survey-explores-emotional-side-of-home-pregnancy-testing-300273735.html
SOURCE Prestige Brands Holdings, Inc.