UDN Beats ESPN 2, Fox Sports 1 and NBC Sports Network in Primetime in July among Total Viewers 2+, Adults 18-49 and Adults 18-34
Univision Deportes, the sports division of Univision Communications Inc., the leading media company serving Hispanic America, set new ratings records in July. UDN (Univision Deportes Network) outperformed ESPN 2, Fox Sports 1 and NBC Sports Network, among others, in primetime among Total Viewers 2+, Adults 18-49 and Adults 18-34 and ranking as the No. 2 sports network regardless of language in July. Univision Deportes also registered impressive audience figures with its coverage of the 2015 CONCACAF Gold Cup. The Mexico vs. Jamaica Gold Cup final aired on Sunday night on the Univision Network (simulcast on UDN), ranking as the No. 1 program for the week among Adults 18-49 and Adults 18-34.
"The growth of UDN in just three years is a testament to the power of soccer among fanáticos in the U.S.," said Juan Carlos Rodriguez, president of Univision Deportes. "In this short time, our network has been able to beat major sports competitors regardless of language and has continuously delivered blockbuster ratings for major live sporting events like the recent Gold Cup tournament."
UDN set new ratings records in July, tying with ESPN for #1 among men 18-34 and #2 delivering more Total Viewers 2+, Adults 18-49 and Adults 18-34 than every cable sports network beside ESPN in primetime, regardless of language.
- This was the first time a Spanish-language cable sports network ever ranked as the # 1 or #2 sports network for a month in any key daypart.
- UDN averaged 454,000 Total Viewers 2+, 279,000 Adults 18-49 and 139,000 Adults 18-34 in primetime in July, establishing a new network record. Viewership bested ESPN 2 by +80% among Total Viewers 2+, by +194% among Adults 18-49 and by +256% among Adults 18-34, bested Fox Sports 1 by +8% among Total Viewers 2+, by +44% among Adults 18-49 and by +65% among Adults 18-34, and bested NBCSN by +23% among Total Viewers 2+, by +200% among Adults 18-49 and by +415% among Adults 18-34.
- The UDN broadcast of the Gold Cup final between Mexico and Jamaica delivered 1.7 million Total Viewers, 1.0 million Adults 18-49, and 542,000 Adults 18-34, the most-viewed telecast ever on the network, and the 3rd most-viewed sports telecast last week on all TV regardless of language among Adults 18-34. Viewership was largest ever for a Spanish-language sports network.
During the month of July, Univision Deportes reached 31.7 million Total Viewers 2+ with 2015 CONCACAF Gold Cup coverage via television and digital. Univision Deportes live streaming provided 6% lift to TV viewership.
The 2015 CONCACAF Gold Cup tournament averaged 2.0 million Total Viewers 2+, 1.1 million Adults 18-49 and 562,000 Adults 18-34 per match on Univision Deportes, out-delivering its coverage of the 2013 CONCACAF Gold Cup by +40% among Total Viewers 2+, by +42% among Adults 18-49 and by +49% among Adults 18-34.
- Univision Deportes aired the top 9 most-viewed matches of the tournament among Total Viewers 2+, Adults 18-49 and Adults 18-34 on any network regardless of language.
- 25 of the 26 tournament matches drew more Total Viewers 2+, Adults 18-49 and Adults 18-34 on Univision Deportes than Fox Sports.
- Univision Deportes delivered more than 4 times the audience size of Fox Sports among Total Viewers 2+, Adults 18-49 and Adults 18-34.
The Gold Cup final with Mexico vs. Jamaica aired Sunday at 8:00 p.m. ET on Univision, simulcast on UDN, and averaged 6.0 million Total Viewers 2+, 3.5 million Adults 18-49 and 1.8 million Adults 18-34.
- Viewership increased +148% among Total Viewers 2+, +164% among Adults 18-49 and +170% among Adults 18-34 compared with the 2013 Gold Cup final match between USA and Panama on Univision.
- This was the most-viewed match of the 2015 Gold Cup tournament on any network regardless of language.
Source: Adobe Analytics and Nielsen, NPM, NPMH, L+SD data, based on match windows. Prime defined as MSU 8p-11p. Fast cume with 1 minute qualifier.
About Univision Deportes
Producing more than 10,000 hours of live sports across its platforms every year, Univision Deportes' properties portfolio includes rights to 11 of the 18 teams within the Liga MX, the Mexican National Team, the U.S. Men's National Team, Major League Soccer, Copa MX, Copa Centroamericana, Copa America 2016, the CONCACAF Gold Cup, the CONCACAF Champions League, the CONCACAF Men's Under 17, the CONCACAF Men's Under 20, the CONCACAF Women's Under 17, the CONCACAF Women's Under 20, the CONCACAF Futsal Championship, international friendlies, Liga de Ascenso, Liga Primeira de Portugal, Solo Boxeo, Bayern Munich TV, and Formula 1®. Univision Deportes also provides comprehensive coverage on all the latest from the MLB, NBA, NFL and much more.
About Univision Communications Inc.
Univision Communications Inc. (UCI) is the leading media company serving Hispanic America. The Company, a leading content creator in the U.S., includes Univision Network, one of the top five networks in the U.S. regardless of language and the most-watched Spanish-language broadcast television network in the country available in approximately 93% of U.S. Hispanic television households; UniMás, a leading Spanish-language broadcast television network available in approximately 87% of U.S. Hispanic television households; Univision Cable Networks, including Galavisión, the most-watched U.S. Spanish-language cable network, as well as UDN (Univision Deportes Network), the most-watched U.S. Spanish-language sports network, Univision tlnovelas, a 24-hour cable network dedicated to telenovelas, ForoTV, a 24-hour Spanish-language cable network dedicated to international news, and an additional suite of cable offerings - De Película, De Película Clásico, Bandamax, Ritmoson and Telehit; Univision Television Group, which owns 60 television stations in major U.S. Hispanic markets and Puerto Rico; digital properties consisting of online and mobile websites and apps, including Univision.com, the most visited Spanish-language website among U.S. Hispanics, UVideos, a bilingual digital video network and Uforia, a music application featuring multimedia music content; and Univision Radio, the leading Spanish-language radio group in the U.S. which owns and operates 67 radio stations including stations in 16 of the top 25 U.S. Hispanic markets and Puerto Rico. UCI's assets also include a minority stake in El Rey Network, a 24-hour English-language general entertainment cable network and a joint venture with Disney/ABC Television Network for Fusion, a 24-hour English-language news and lifestyle TV and digital network. Headquartered in New York City, UCI has television network operations in Miami and television and radio stations and sales offices in major cities throughout the United States. For more information, please visit Univision.net.