- Canaccord Genuity has upgraded Newmont Corporation NEM to Buy from Hold, lowering the target price to $60 from $66 following the company's Q2 FY22 results.
- The analysts say that the 13% drop in NEM's share price yesterday was overdone with the EPS miss, including some abnormal items, such as the $70 million profit-sharing agreement at Penasquito relating to 2021, the timing of gold sales, and $105 million in negative provisional pricing adjustments.
- Newmont produced 1.5 million attributable ounces of gold and 330,000 attributable gold equivalent ounces from co-products, an increase of more than 130,000 total gold equivalent ounces from Q2 FY21.
- The company revised the FY22 outlook, expecting 6 million ounces of attributable gold production and 1.3 million gold equivalent ounces from copper, silver, lead, and zinc.
- The updated outlook for attributable gold production includes negative impacts from operational challenges.
- Canaccord says the revised gold production guidance was broadly in line with Canaccord's prior forecast with ~2% higher AISC guidance.
- "We view Newmont as offering investors a steady gold production profile centered on geopolitically stable jurisdictions, with a deep project pipeline, strong balance sheet, and solid operating team." the analysts wrote.
- Price Action: NEM shares are down 0.20% at $46.05 during the market session on the last check Wednesday.
© 2023 Benzinga.com. Benzinga does not provide investment advice. All rights reserved.
Posted In: Analyst ColorEarningsLarge CapNewsGuidanceUpgradesPrice TargetCommoditiesMarketsAnalyst RatingsGeneralBriefs