Market Overview

Never Break The Chain: Fleetwood Mac Downloads Surge After Viral TikTok Video

Share:
Never Break The Chain: Fleetwood Mac Downloads Surge After Viral TikTok Video

"Dreams" is making money for Stevie Nicks even while she's in isolation

A viral TikTok video has Fleetwood Mac surging up the music charts and has provided some free publicity for Ocean Spray.

What Happened? A TikTok clip showing a longboarding man drinking Ocean Spray cranberry juice to the tune of Fleetwood Mac’s “Dreams” went viral in the last week, and the clip has sent “Dreams” as high as No. 28 on the Rolling Stone Top 100 Songs Chart as of Friday.

The popular video got the stamp of approval from Fleetwood Mac’s official Twitter account.

The resurgence comes more than 43 years after “Dreams” was originally released March 1977.

On Sunday, Fleetwood Mac drummer and co-founder Mick Fleetwood recreated the TikTok video:

Why It’s Important: The Google Trends graph below suggests the viral video has triggered a spike in search volume for Fleetwood Mac. Unfortunately, Ocean Spray doesn’t seem to be getting a similar boost in search volume.

The potential for videos and products to go viral is one of the reasons advertisers and American companies are so interested in partnering with TikTok. Yet TikTok has found itself at the epicenter of the U.S. trade war with China.

President Donald Trump has threatened to ban the use of TikTok in the U.S. if the company’s Chinese parent company ByteDance doesn’t sell TikTok to an American company.

ByteDance recently agreed to a deal that would set up a U.S.-based TikTok Global, with ByteDance owning 80% of the new entity and U.S. companies Oracle Corporation (NYSE: ORCL) and Walmart Inc (NYSE: WMT) owning the other 20%.

Treasury Secretary Stenven Mnuchin has said TikTok’s potential deal with Oracle and Walmart must meet U.S. security requirements or TikTok could still be shut down.

Benzinga’s Take: The viral Fleetwood Mac video is a clear demonstration of the value of the TikTok platform. There is too much money at stake for TikTok to simply disappear in the U.S., so investors should expect some form of agreement to keep TikTok up and running in the near future.

Related Links:

Why Trump's TikTok Ban Could Be 'Fort Sumter Moment' In Cold Tech War Between US, China

Short Sellers Piling Into Chinese Stocks As Trade Tensions Rise

Stevie Nicks performs in 2017. Photo by Ralph Arvesen via Wikimedia.

 

Related Articles (ORCL + WMT)

View Comments and Join the Discussion!

Posted-In: ByteDance Fleetwood Mac Ocean Spray TikTokNews Tech Best of Benzinga

Don't Miss Any Updates!
News Directly in Your Inbox
Subscribe to:
Benzinga Premarket Activity
Get pre-market outlook, mid-day update and after-market roundup emails in your inbox.
Market in 5 Minutes
Everything you need to know about the market - quick & easy.
Fintech Focus
A daily collection of all things fintech, interesting developments and market updates.
Thank You

Thank you for subscribing! If you have any questions feel free to call us at 1-877-440-ZING or email us at vipaccounts@benzinga.com