Market Overview

Spooktacular Halloween NRF Data: Spending On Tricks And Treats To Reach $83/Ghoul

Share:
Spooktacular Halloween NRF Data: Spending On Tricks And Treats To Reach $83/Ghoul
Related XRT
Wells Fargo's Retail Analyst Is Bullish On The Sector: Here's Why
A Look At Amazon's Strength Vs. Other Brick-And-Mortar Retail Struggles
ETF Pairs Trades - Online Retail Vs. Brick And Mortar And 6 Others (Seeking Alpha)
Related XLY
An Efficient ETF Avenue To Amazon Exposure
Earnings Pleasantries With These ETFs
Market Volatility Bulletin: What Goes Up... (Seeking Alpha)

A recent National Retail Federation survey indicated that over 171 million people in the United States plan to celebrate Halloween in the current year. That means 69.1 percent of the surveyed Americans will celebrate, while the remaining 30.9 percent people are not planning to join the rest.

The average spending is expected to increase 11.6 percent from $74.34 in last year to $82.93 in the current year. The organization predicts total spending to reach an all-time high of $8.4 billion. The previous high was $8.0 billion recorded in 2012.

Related Link: How Millennials Can Celebrate Halloween Within Their Budgets

An interesting feature of the purchase pattern is that seven out of 10 consumers intend to hand out candy, while close to half of them would spend on decorating their home or dress in costume. The least spending is reported for pets dress in costume.

NRF President and CEO Matthew Shay commented earlier, "After a long summer, families are excited to welcome the fall season celebrating Halloween. Retailers are preparing for the day by offering a wide variety of options in costumes, decorations and candy, while being aggressive with their promotions to capture the most out of this shopping event."

Full ratings data available on Benzinga Pro.

Do you have ideas for articles/interviews you'd like to see more of on Benzinga? Please email feedback@benzinga.com with your best article ideas. One person will be randomly selected to win a $20 Amazon gift card!

Posted-In: Halloween Matthew Shay National Retail Federation NRFMedia General Best of Benzinga

 

Related Articles (XLY + XRT)

View Comments and Join the Discussion!