Sony Scrubs Release Of 'The Interview' Amid Death Threats; Shares Surge In #PreMarket
Sony Corp (ADR) (NYSE: SNE) cancelled the theatrical release of "The Interview" after threats from a hacker group caused most exhibitors to back out of showing the film.
"We respect and understand our partners' decision and, of course, completely share their paramount interest in the safety of employees and theater-goers," Sony said in a statement.
Two hours after Wednesday's closing bell, Sony shares indicated down at around $20.12 after closing at $20.39.
In Thursday's premarket, shares were up 2.6 percent at $20.93.
The comedy film concerns an attempted assassination of North Korean president Kim Jong Un and stars Seth Rogen and James Franco.
The emailed threats surfaced last week from a hacking group believed responsible for November's cyber attack on Sony. The group is thought to be affiliated with the North Korean government.
The Los Angeles Times reported late Wednesday the cancellation of the film's premier at Manhattan's Sunshine Cinema on Thursday evening in light of threats.
The film premiered without incident at Los Angeles' Ace Hotel last week amid heavy security, the Times said.
Sony said it was "deeply saddened at this brazen effort to suppress the distribution of a movie, and in the process do damage to our company, our employees, and the American public."
Sony added that "we stand by our filmmakers and their right to free expression."
© 2017 Benzinga.com. Benzinga does not provide investment advice. All rights reserved.