There are many ways to improve your mental health and well-being. A quick online search for helpful tips will yield an overwhelming number of results, but you can take an online mental health course to quickly find the information you’re seeking.
Benzinga will help you identify the best mental health courses that best suit your needs and budget.
Quick Look: Mental Health Courses
Here’s a quick look at our top picks:
- Coping Skills and Self-Care for Mental Health by Udemy
- Stress Management to Boost Your Mental Health and Happiness by Jason Lee
- The Science of Well-Being by Yale University
- Learn Meditation with Certification to Guide Others by Udemy
- Mindfulness and Meditation by Zachary Phillips
- 'Talk to Me': Improving Mental Health and Suicide Prevention in Young Adults by Curtin University
- The Art of Energy Healing by Udemy
- Mindfulness for Social Anxiety by Udemy
- Managing Depression in the Workplace by LinkedIn Learning
What Makes a Mental Health Course Great?
Wondering which mental health courses are worthy of your time and money? Here are some factors to consider when evaluating your options.
Led by an Experienced Professional
You want an instructor who is a mental health expert. They should offer fresh and innovative perspectives to help you cope or overcome internal challenges.
To successfully improve your mental well-being, you’ll need to apply what you learn in the course. Consider options that include projects or assignments that allow you to put the suggested actions into practice.
Depending on your mental state, you may need more time than others to see improvements in your mental well-being. Only consider self-paced courses to avoid rushing through the material.
Our Top Picks
You’ll find Benzinga’s top mental health course selections from Coursera, edX, LinkedIn Learning, Skillshare and Udemy.
We’ve listed the courses by skill level — beginners, intermediate students and advanced students. There’s also a description and price point for each class to help you find the best fit.
Mental Health Courses for Beginners
These introductory courses will teach you to cope with intense emotions, manage stress and lead a healthier and happier life.
1. Coping Skills and Self-Care for Mental Health
Learn how to effectively manage your emotions and develop a self-care regimen to improve your mental health. This Udemy bestseller will show you how. It’s ideal for individuals who suffer from anxiety, depression, fear, frustration or sadness and seek ways to cope with these intense emotions. You will also benefit from the course if you are searching for guidance on healthy self-care practices that boost mental health.
Licensed marriage and family therapist Emma McAdam dives into the 4 types of coping skills, self-care and ways to create healthy habits that foster a sustainable life. You will also complete a series of exercises while enrolled in the course.
Coping Skills and Self-Care for Mental Health is broken down into 3 main segments:
- Coping Skills
- Bonus Section: Setting Healthy Boundaries
Register today for instant access to 2 hours of on-demand video, 1 article and 7 downloadable resources. You will also receive a certificate of completion when you finish the course.
2. Stress Management to Boost Your Mental Health and Happiness by Jason Lee
Who it's for: Beginners
In just 13 minutes, mental health hacker Jason Lee provides you with a step-by-step approach to get through stressful days without pulling your hair out. This simple course caters to individuals dealing with anxiety, depression, negative feelings from childhood abuse or trauma or are searching for ways to effectively cope with stress.
Stress Management to Boost Your Mental Health and Happiness includes 6 modules:
- How to Use the Workshop
- A Warmup Exercise: Smiling!
You will walk away from the course with the skills and knowledge to transform stress into happiness. Plus, you will know how to handle negative triggers and achieve emotional balance.
There’s no cost to enroll.
3. The Science of Well-Being by Yale University
Who it's for: Beginners
Offered by Yale University, The Science of Well-Being invites you to participate in challenges that foster happiness and increase productivity in every area of your life. Plus, you will explore why the mind creates negative thoughts and how to shift your frame of reference to think more positively.
Instruction is provided by Laurie Santos, psychology professor, and delivered through a series of video lectures and readings. You will also complete quizzes to test your knowledge.
Here’s a quick look at the syllabus:
- Misconceptions About Happiness
- Why Our Expectations Are So Bad
- How Can We Overcome Our Biases?
- Stuff that Really Makes Us Happy
- Putting Strategies Into Practice
- Start Your Final Rewirement Challenge
- Continue Your Rewirement Challenge (Part 1)
- Continue Your Rewirement Challenge (Part 2)
- Submit Your Final Assignment
Enrollment is free, and it takes 19 hours to finish the course.
Intermediate Mental Health Courses
Learn how to meditate like a pro and reach young adults who struggle with mental health challenges.
4. Learn Meditation with Certification to Guide Others by Udemy
If you want to master the art of mediation or teach others, look no further than this Udemy bestseller. It includes full lifetime access to 1 hour of on-demand video and 19 articles to take your meditation skills and expertise to another level.
Led by Reiki Master Melissa Crowhurst, Learn Meditation with Certification to Guide Others includes in-depth instruction through the following modules:
- Chapter 1: What is Meditation?
- Chapter 2: Proven Benefits of Meditation
- Chapter 3: The Steps to Meditate
- Chapter 4: Meditation Methods and Steps
- Chapter 5: Themed Meditation MP3 Audios
- Chapter 6: Additional Supporting MP3 Audios
- Chapter 7: Additional Tips to Bolster Meditation
- Chapter 8: Preparing to Guide Others
- Chapter 9: Steps to Guiding a Meditation
- Chapter 10: Thank You and Custom Certification
You will receive a certificate of completion from both Udemy and the instructor when you reach the finish line. It also includes a digital seal of completion that you can proudly display on your website.
5. Mindfulness Meditation by Zachary Phillips
Who it's for: Intermediate students
Mindfulness Meditation teaches you how to take control of your mental state so you can minimize the sound of negative thoughts in your head and seize the present moment.
Mental health advocate Zachary Phillips walks you through the mindful meditation process and shares tips to help you implement this regimen into your everyday life. He divides the 21-minute course into these segments:
- What is MIndfulness Exactly?
- How to Mindfully Meditate
- Dealing with Distracting Mental Phenomena
- Guided Meditation (1 Minute)
- How Meditation Helps Your Mental Health
- Developing an Ongoing Practice
- Class Project: Seven-Day Meditation Journal
- Further Resources
- Quick Recap
Grab a free seat today with a trial membership from Skillshare.
6. 'Talk to Me': Improving Mental Health and Suicide Prevention in Young Adults by Curtin University
Who it's for: Intermediate students
Presented by Curtin University, this 6-week course helps parents, teachers, coaches and health professionals have meaningful discussions about mental health with young adults. You will also learn what factors contribute to mental health, how to identify concerning behaviors and tactics that foster mental fitness.
The syllabus for 'Talk to Me': Improving Mental Health and Suicide Prevention in Young Adults is as follows:
- Mental Fitness
- Strategies to Increase Mental Fitness
- Non-Suicidal Self-Injury
- Suicidal Behavior in Young Adults (SBYA)
- Interventions in SBYA
- Gatekeeper Interventions
You can register for free or upgrade your enrollment to receive a verified certificate for only $139.
Advanced Mental Health Courses
You will find these advanced courses useful if you want to enhance your knowledge of energy healing, mindfulness for social anxiety or learn how to cope with depression in the workplace.
7. The Art of Energy Healing by Udemy
Discover proven a step-by-step system to energy healing with this bestselling advanced course from Udemy. Irreverent spiritual teacher and energy healer James Seriph created the class for individuals who want to hone their natural healing abilities and achieve significant breakthroughs in their lives or the lives of others. You should also consider this course if you want to launch or level up your own healing business.
The Art of Energy Healing consists of 6 modules:
- Get Ready to Activate…
- Mindsets and Preparation: Get Your Mind Right
- Mechanics and Techniques: How It Is Done
- Before Your First Session
- Practice 1: The Dust Off
- Practice 2: The Full Session
For a small investment, you can unlock 3.5 hours of on-demand video, 11 articles and 5 downloadable resources. This course also includes a certificate of completion when you reach the finish line.
Enroll with confidence knowing the class is backed by a 30-day money-back guarantee if it doesn’t quite fit your needs.
8. Mindfulness for Social Anxiety by Udemy
Do you struggle with social anxiety and want to find ways to cope so you can feel more relaxed in social situations? Consider this highly-rated course that introduces proven coping mechanisms.
Led by psychologist Chris Worfolk, Mindfulness for Social Anxiety includes 3 segments:
- Core Meditations
- Exposure Meditations
- Event Meditations
You will walk away from the course with the confidence to attend social events without feeling overwhelmed or anxious.
Register today for full lifetime access to 1 hour of on-demand video, 3 articles and 8 downloadable resources.
9. Managing Depression in the Workplace by LinkedIn Learning
Who it's for: Advanced students
Price: Included with the monthly subscription
Do you struggle to keep your negative emotions at bay when at the workplace? Are you searching for ways to clear the clutter from your mind so you can focus on the tasks at hand and not compromise your performance on the job? Consider this advanced course from LinkedIn Learning to help you find relief.
In a little over 1 hour, certified master executive coach and Harvard Medical School professor Dr. Srini Pillay delves into the symptoms of depression, reframing and depression recovery times. He also teaches you how to identify distractions and avoid biased thinking when depression strikes.
Managing Depression in the Workplace divides lectures 3 categories:
- Understanding the Basics of Depression
- Strategies to Be Productive
- Managing and Leading with Depression in Mind
Enrollment is included with a monthly LinkedIn membership. If you’re not a member, you can register for a free 1-month trial to access the course.
Find the Right Mental Health Course for You
When you’re ready to get started, take a look at our recommendations for mental health courses. We’ve included reputable options for all skill levels and budgets to take the stress out of sifting through several classes to find the best fit.
Southern New Hampshire University Online
SNHU Online Offers:
- Flexible schedules
- Affordable tuition
- Online tutoring
- Access to electronic research materials
- Specialized academic advising
- Supportive online community