1 Minute Review
If you work with clients around the world or you travel often, you might find typical budgeting apps limiting. Lunch Money is a desktop-only budgeting and financial management app built for anyone who travels frequently. With support for multiple currencies, automatic currency conversions, high-level encryption and the ability to share your budget with multiple users, Lunch Money is built with globetrotters in mind. While the app isn’t the right fit for mobile-only users, its powerful suite of desktop functions deserves high praise.
- World travelers who conduct business using multiple currencies
- Users who prefer to track their budgets on their desktop
- Anyone who has a significant portion of their net worth in cryptocurrency
- High-level encryption is ideal for users connecting to public Wi-Fi frequently
- Supports cryptocurrency portfolios
- Allows users to share accounts with partners or team members
- Currently only available for desktop platform
- No phone option for customer service contact
Table of Contents [Hide]
When it comes to managing your money, budgeting or saving toward a specific financial goal, you can’t just hope that you have money at the end of the month — you need to continuously monitor your money and create a plan. A budgeting app can help make sticking to a financial schedule a bit easier.
Lunch Money is a desktop budgeting app that allows you to track your net worth, share budgets with your family members and team members, sort your transactions and much more. But with so many money management options, what sets Lunch Money apart — and which app is the best choice for your unique needs?
Our Lunch Money app review will help you learn more about this online money management platform and decide if Lunch Money is right for you.
History of Lunch Money
Independently developed by a solo entrepreneur who was tired of managing money across currencies, Lunch Money is a budgeting and financial management app that takes a holistic view of your finances. Lunch Money was created with modern travelers and digital nomads in mind, with easy currency conversions and high-level security features that make it safer to access your money from public Wi-Fi networks. Lunch Money has been featured in a number of tech news sites, ranging from Tech Crunch to Wallet Hacks.
Lunch Money offers a wide range of services that can help you manage your finances, track your net worth over time and watch your investments grow. Some of our favorite features offered by Lunch Money include:
- Automatic transaction syncing: You can sync your bank with Lunch Money to automatically import transactions and catalog your spending. You can also choose to manually import transactions and group them into spending categories. Sorting transactions then allows you to see exactly how much money you’re spending in each category per month and narrow down business-related transactions when tax time comes.
- Multicurrency support: If you’re the type of person who needs to travel for work or who lives abroad, you probably already know that logging transactions among currencies can be a pain. Lunch Money allows you to log and track multiple currencies — simply set your home currency and the currencies you need to track to log expenses between countries. Lunch Money currently supports more than 90 unique currencies. After logging your expenses, Lunch Money will use the most current exchange rate to log expenses in the currency that you need.
Log transactions between currencies and instantly see how much you’ve spent in your base currency.
- Cryptocurrency portfolio tracker: If you’ve used a competing budget tracking web app (like Mint) you might have found yourself frustrated with the lack of support for cryptocurrency investing accounts. Lunch Money is one of the only budget tracking options that we’ve seen to provide support for cryptocurrency portfolios when it comes to calculating your net worth.
- Spending breakdown: Creating a budget and sticking to it can be difficult. Lunch Money makes it easier by allowing you to set budgets for individual categories (like alcohol, restaurants, personal hygiene, groceries, pets, food delivery and much more). Need to share your budget with a team or your partner? No problem — Lunch Money’s collaboration feature allows you to easily share your expenses with another user. The web application can even recognize your recurring expenses for easier cataloging and budgeting.
- Data security: Lunch Money uses top-of-the-line data security to ensure that only you can access your personal information. Lunch Money employs AES-256 grade encryption for your data, which is the same level of security used by banks and government agencies to protect highly sensitive information. Enable 2-factor authentication to further secure your account.
With plenty of customization options, high-level security and a straightforward platform that anyone can master, Lunch Money combines simplicity with an impressive set of financial management tools.
Lunch Money offers 2 all-inclusive pricing options, both of which include a free 14-day trial (no credit card required to start):
- Monthly pricing: If you choose to pay for your Lunch Money account in monthly installments, you’ll pay $10 per month. This pricing package is billed to you automatically each month.
- Annual pricing: If you choose to pay for your Lunch Money account annually, you’ll pay $60 for your 1st year. After your 1st year, you’ll be billed $100. This billing occurs once annually.
Compared to other budgeting choices (like You Need a Budget and EveryDollar) Lunch Money’s pricing is in line with industry standards. Though free budgeting apps do exist, these apps typically come with ads that may impede user experience. This can make Lunch Money a great choice for anyone looking for an affordable way to balance their budget without ads.
Some free budgeting apps also sell your data to 3rd parties. This isn’t something that you need to worry about when you use Lunch Money — the company promises to never sell your data to 3rd parties. This means that Lunch Money may also be an excellent budgeting and money management option for anyone who’s concerned about data safety and usage.
Benefits of Lunch Money
Lunch Money offers a number of benefits over competitors, including:
- Security for your personal data: There is a wealth of free financial management apps. However, these apps aren’t actually free — instead of paying with money, you’re sacrificing your personal information, which is often then sold to 3rd parties. When you choose Lunch Money, you pay a small fee upfront to secure your personal data and avoid targeted ads.
- Enhanced privacy: Lunch Money is one of the only budgeting apps that we’ve seen to use AES-256 grade encryption for personal data. This is the highest possible level of encryption practical for every day, which can be especially beneficial if you frequently connect to public Wi-Fi networks.
- Better tools for travelers: From freelancers to globetrotters, there is a range of reasons why you might need to manage money across currencies. Lunch Money automatically converts foreign transactions into your base currency, making it easier to understand exactly how much you’re spending abroad.
- Support for cryptocurrencies: Unlike most budgeting apps, Lunch Money has the ability to track cryptocurrency portfolio values and consider them when calculating your net worth. If you have a large amount of money in cryptocurrencies, this can be a major incentive to use Lunch Money.
As a small and independently owned business, you’ll always receive personalized customer service when you run into an issue with your Lunch Money app. Lunch Money currently offers 2 methods that you can use to get customer support:
- Email: To contact Lunch Money’s customer service by email, send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In-app feedback system: Submit a bug, question or general feedback via the ‘Help’ button accessible on every page of the app.
- Slack: After becoming a paying user of Lunch Money, you’ll be invited to a private Slack community where you can connect with other like-minded users to share product ideas or ask for help and advice on using the app.
Lunch Money’s budgeting tool has also received high praise on social media. In particular, user reviews praised the desktop application’s simple user interface, native multi-currency support and streamlined budgeting.
If you’re a world traveler, you’ll love Lunch Money’s enhanced security features and easy multi-currency support. For just $10 per month, you’ll have access to a wide range of budgeting and financial management tools that can easily be shared with a team or your partner. In the future, we’d love to see Lunch Money continue to develop its customer service contact methods, as well as add a mobile app to add another layer of usefulness during travel.