1 Minute Review
Liberty Mutual protects your home against a variety of common dangers and losses. An optional provision, known as loss forgiveness, helps prevent rates from going up after you file your first claim, while inflation protection helps protect your belongings each time your policy renews to help balance it with the cost of living. Damaged items are replaced at full cost, so you don’t have to worry about those items being depreciated and having to pay the difference out of pocket.
- Homeowners who want the freedom to customize some aspects of their coverage
- Homeowners looking for insurance that covers the full replacement cost of their personal property
- Those who are looking to save money with a solid selection of discounts
- People who want to be able to view and manage their policy online
- A long and considerable list of discounts that can save you hundreds of dollars
- An excellent roster of online tools, including a comprehensive coverage calculator, and a highly-rated app for iPhone and Android systems
- Ability to manage and track claims directly from computers or mobile devices
- Decent financial stability, but could be improved
- Customer service and claims handling not always consistent or satisfactory
- Certain natural disasters, including floods and earthquakes not covered under a traditional policy — a rider needs to be purchased that includes the specific coverage if needed
Liberty Mutual offers a variety of insurance products, including home insurance. If you’re considering Liberty Mutual among your top choices for the best homeowner’s insurance, we invite you to read this comprehensive review to determine if it’s the right choice for your coverage needs.
Who’s Liberty Mutual Home Insurance for?
- Individuals who want protection against major natural disasters, but to also have the option to buy additional coverage for other valuables
- Individuals who want to enjoy the greatest number of discounts
- Homeowners who want insurance with loss forgiveness (rates won’t go up following a first claim)
- People who like being able to manage and check their policy details online
Home Insurance Products
Liberty Mutual offers standard homeowner’s insurance, as well as additional options that you can add to your policy for even greater benefits. If you want to compare home insurance, Liberty Mutual’s standard policy includes coverage for:
- Damage to your home: Homeowners insurance covers damage to your home and other physical structures on your property like a shed.
- Damage to your personal possessions: If items in your home, such as your furniture, are damaged by covered expenses, Liberty Mutual home insurance pays to replace them.
- Liability protection: If someone is injured on your property or their belongings are damaged, and they file any claims against you, liability protection covers these claims as well as any reasonable and necessary medical expenses.
- Additional living expenses: This covers normal living expenses while your home is being repaired after a claim. It covers up to the amount of your policy limit.
Homeowners insurance includes coverage for damage caused by:
- Fire and smoke
- Riots and civil disturbances
- Volcanic eruptions
- Windstorms or hail
What Can Affect the Rate You Pay for Homeowner’s Insurance?
Your homeowner’s insurance is determined by a variety of factors, including:
- Your location: Incidents of extreme weather, your proximity to a fire station and the local crime rate can all affect how much homeowners insurance costs.
- Cost to replace/rebuild your home: This isn’t the market value of your home or the tax assessment but rather the actual cost to rebuild it. For instance, if your home was destroyed in a storm, the replacement value is how much it actually costs to rebuild it. Labor and materials are taken into consideration when calculating this rate, as are the availability of materials and inflation.
- The age and condition of your home: There are specific details that go into this calculation, including the materials that were used to build your home, how old the roof is and the condition of the furnace. Liberty Mutual also factors in whether these same building materials are still available and their current market prices.
- Inclusion of safety devices: Items like a burglar alarm, smoke detectors and deadbolt locks can all help protect your home and your items while helping you save money on your homeowner’s insurance.
- Your deductible: This is the initial amount that you pay out of pocket before your insurance coverage kicks in. The higher your premium (the total amount that you pay for your policy), the lower your deductible is.
Available Discounts and Tips on Getting the Best Rates
- Multi-policy discount: Having multiple policies, such as bundling your home and auto insurance, can give you a discount that provides you with additional savings.
- Claims-free discount: You can save money on your Liberty Mutual homeowners insurance by not filing a claim for 5 years or more with your previous home insurance provider.
- Protective devices discount: Smart home devices, sprinklers, fire alarms, fire extinguishers and other protective devices in your home can earn you a discount on homeowner’s insurance with Liberty Mutual.
- Newly purchased home discount: If you purchased your home recently, you’ll get additional savings on your home insurance.
- Early shopper discount: Requesting a quote before your insurance with another carrier expires will get you a small discount.
- Safe homeowner program: If you go claims-free with Liberty for 3 or more years, you can be rewarded with savings on your policy.
- Insured to 100% of value discount: Insuring up to 100% of the cost to replace your home, you may qualify for a discount.
- New or renovated home discount: You may save money on your policy if your home was built or renovated recently.
- Military discount: Grateful for the service of military veterans and those who currently serve, Liberty Mutual offers a discount as a show of thanks.
- Preferred payment discount: Choosing to pay with electronic funds transfer (EFT) directly from your bank account qualifies you for a preferred payment discount.
- New roof discount: You’ll save money on your policy if you recently replaced your old roof or had a new one installed.
- Going paperless discount: Going paperless is not only a trend in billing, but it’s also good for the environment and your wallet.
Other Related Insurance Types Offered by Liberty Mutual
- Auto insurance
- Renters insurance
- Condo insurance
For everything that Liberty Mutual does well, its customer service is rather average. Liberty does offer thorough customer service online, and you can view your claim status and see when your next bill is due through the iOS or Android app. Liberty also offers support via a toll-free number and social media networks, including Twitter and Facebook.
Liberty allows you to start, manage and review the claims process entirely online from your computer or a mobile app. The online claims management service walks you through the steps so that you have an idea of what to expect before you get started. Filing a claim after an accident or natural disaster can be a stressful time. The step-by-step walkthrough enables customers to easily collect relevant information with little hassle so that Liberty has all the information it needs to act quickly to resolve your claim.
Pricing and Value
Although Liberty Mutual is not the cheapest homeowners insurance, the company does offer several outstanding benefits that are worth a closer look. It is one of the few companies that ensures that your coverage stays in line with the rising costs of inflation. Whenever you renew your policy, your coverage will adjust for inflation so that you get the same level of coverage you received when you originally signed up.
In addition, Liberty Mutual also offers extra coverage for valuables like expensive jewelry, antiques and works of art that ordinary homeowner’s insurance limits may not cover. If you’re not sure how much coverage you need, Liberty’s comprehensive coverage calculator can help you decide on a fairly accurate amount.
Is Liberty Mutual the Right Homeowner’s Insurance Choice?
As you compare home insurance, it’s a good idea to get a free online quote from Liberty Mutual as well as other homeowner’s insurance providers in your area. Different insurance companies calculate their rates differently, so prices can vary considerably from one company to the next. That’s why it’s a good idea to have a quote customized to your specific needs by starting the process online.
By answering a few simple questions, you’ll be able to determine if Liberty Mutual is the best option for your home insurance needs. You can also inquire about adding additional insurance coverage, such as for irreplaceable items or coverage against natural disasters that may be more common in your area, like floods or earthquakes.