In this Hippo Home Insurance review, we’ll take a look at how Hippo’s policies stack up in terms of coverage, customer service and support.
Who’s Hippo Home Insurance for?
Hippo Home Insurance is best for:
- Policyholders with a large number of electronics to protect.
- Those who need protection for a home office.
- Homeowners who don’t mind filing a claim over the phone.
Home Insurance Products
As its name suggests, Hippo Home Insurance offers homeowners insurance for both homes and condos. Homeowners insurance is a type of protection that offers you financial compensation in the event that your home is damaged by a covered peril or a burglary.
Standard Hippo Home Insurance Coverages
The best homeowners insurance policies offer extensive lists of coverage areas. Hippo Home is a home insurance provider that offers many of the same protections as competitors. However, Hippo’s policies also include some unique benefits even with standard policies. Standard base-rate protections for Hippo policies include:
- Dwelling coverage: Dwelling coverage protects the physical structure of your home, including both the interior and the exterior.
- Other structures coverage: “Other structures” coverage protects other structures on your property that aren’t directly connected to your home. Tool sheds and detached garages are examples of structures that are often covered under Hippo’s “other structures” policies.
- Personal property coverage: Personal property coverage offers you compensation if your things are stolen during a break-in or damaged during a covered peril (like a fire).
- Personal liability coverage: Personal liability protection covers legal representation and court-ordered judgments if someone sues you after being injured on your property.
- Medical payments for guests: Further coverage for guests who sustain an injury on your property.
- Loss of use coverage: Loss of use coverage provides payments for you in the event that your home is damaged to the point where it becomes unlivable.
- Domestic workers’ coverage: Coverage for employees who work in your home, like cleaning professionals and childcare providers.
- Home office coverage: Provides special protection for office equipment and electronics.
- Water backup coverage: Water backup coverage protects you if your personal property or dwelling is damaged when sewer water comes up through your pipes.
- Equipment breakdown coverage: Covers the cost of repairs or replacements when your home appliances break down outside of a covered peril.
Additional coverage options are available with more expensive and comprehensive plans.
Available Discounts and Tips on Getting the Best Rates
Hippo Home offers a number of different ways that you can get a discount on your policy:
- Early bird discount: You may qualify for a discount when you sign up for a policy at least 8 days before you need it to go into effect.
- Recent home buyer’s discount: Hippo Home offers a special discount for homeowners who buy their first property in the near future. You can also take advantage of this discount if you’ve owned your current property for less than 3 years.
- No mortgage discount: Don’t have a mortgage active on your property and you’re not actively seeking one? You qualify for a discount.
- Homeowners association discount: Are you a member of a homeowners association? You can get a discount on your insurance through Hippo.
Additional discounts may be available based on your location, credit score and more. To get the best rate possible, sign up for your policy early — especially if you’ve recently bought your home.
Common Hippo Home Insurance Coverage Selections
Hippo Home offers 3 basic tiers of homeowners insurance:
- The Essentials: The Essentials plan includes all of the basic coverages outlined above. As the name suggests, The Essentials plan is the most affordable and least comprehensive option from Hippo’s offerings. Unlike other coverage tiers, the Essentials coverage only includes cash value replacement for your personal property. This means if something you own is damaged or stolen, Hippo will only provide the current cash value of the item — not the cost of a replacement.
- Our Best Value: Our Best Value is Hippo’s second tier of coverage and its most popular. Hippo claims that about 50% of people choose this tier when they get coverage. The Our Best Value plan includes all of the coverages that come standard with The Essentials in addition to replacement value coverage for personal property. Our Best Value plans also include mortgage payment protection, which covers the cost of your monthly mortgage premium in the event that your home becomes unlivable due to a covered peril.
- Expanded Protection. Hippo’s most comprehensive policy option, Expanded Protection, includes the highest limits and lowest deductibles. Expanded Protection plans include everything you’d get with an Our Best Value plan, but includes higher limits on payout maximums.
Other Related Insurance Types Offered by Hippo
Hippo Home offers some unique advanced protections that go beyond what most typical insurance providers offer, including:
- Local ordinance changes protection: Local ordinance change protection offers you compensation in the event that local laws change and you need to make a structural change to your property to bring it up to code.
- Enhanced rebuilding coverage: Contracting and construction labor prices tend to skyrocket due to a fast increase in demand after a natural disaster. Enhanced rebuilding coverage provides up to 50% compensation for rises in material or labor prices during a catastrophic event.
- Smart home upgrades: Smart home upgrade coverage helps you upgrade home systems that prevent damage from burglaries and natural disasters like alarm systems and leak sensors. Hippo sends every customer a complimentary Smart Home Sensor Kit. Each Hippo home insurance policy comes with a 2-sensor smart home monitoring system, plus a discount on their premium for protecting their home against common risks from fire, water damage and break-ins. You can see more about this here.
Hippo’s personal customer service team is available by phone or online.
- Do you have a policy and want to get in touch with customer service? Call (800) 585-0705. Phone lines are open between the hours of 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. CT, Monday through Friday. You can also send support staff an email at email@example.com. You can also log into your Hippo Home account online through its Customer Portal and view your policy documents if you only need to check something on your policy.
- Don’t have a policy? Contact the Hippo Home sales team at (877) 838-8866. Like Hippo’s customer support team, its phone lines are open from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. CT, Monday through Friday. You can also contact the team by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hippo Home is the only company that offers claims availability only by phone. In lieu of its online option, Hippo offers a dynamic Claims Concierge service that attempts to guide you through the claims process more easily.
Hippo policyholders can call 1-855-999-9746 in the event of an accident or loss at any time of the day or night to file a claim. You’ll be matched up with a dedicated claims concierge who can walk you through the next steps and locate local services that can help you repair home damage. Claims concierges can even help ensure your comfort and safety by aiding with everything from hotel accommodations to transportation arrangements.
Though some users might be put off by the inability to file a claim online (a service that almost every other insurance provider offers) policyholders who are skittish about insurance and want to comfort of a helping hand will enjoy Hippo’s personal touch. However, do-it-yourself users may be frustrated by this lack of claims process transparency.
The Hippo claims process is fully detailed out to all claimants. Details here.
Pricing and Value
When you compare any type of policy, one of the first questions on your mind might be “how much is homeowners insurance?” Hippo Home Insurance policies are cheaper than its competitors and offer a number of additional protections for the price.
Hippo claims that its policies are up to 25% less expensive than competitors, but data on this is difficult to find. Hippo’s more expansive coverage for things like electronics and home office equipment can make the company a great value, especially if you’re a home buyer.
Keep in mind that Hippo Home Insurance isn’t available in every state. The company only offers policies in 20 states.
Hippo Home Insurance has an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau, which means that meets the BBB’s basic standards for transparency and positive business practices. Reviews of Hippo on the Better Business Bureau’s page are largely negative when it comes to customer support.
Hippo Home Insurance claims to have an average 4.9 star rating within its own review system, this is something to keep in mind when you compare homeowners insurance providers.
Getting the Home Insurance You Need
So, should you sign up for a policy with Hippo Home Insurance? The answer depends on your individual needs. If you’re the type of person who doesn’t mind working directly alongside an agent when you need to file a claim, you might enjoy Hippo’s unique claims process.
You may also like that you get a large number of coverages under a single monthly premium if you’re the type who tends to lose track of multiple bill due dates. However, you may find Hippo’s system frustrating if you’re the type of homeowner who prefers to tackle claims reporting and repairs on your own.
Frequently Asked Questions
1) Q: How does home insurance liability coverage work?
Most home insurance policies provide liability coverage that can help protect you and your family against several types of lawsuits or liability claims. Coverage limit options usually begin at $100,000 and can go as high as $1 million. Your liability coverage provides coverage for common mishaps, like slip and fall accidents or animal bites and can protect you even when you are away from home. However, home insurance liability coverage does not provide coverage for automobile-related liability or liability related to business activity. Get the best home coverage and policy through our top providers today.
2) Q: What are the most common types of home insurance claims?
Wind and hail claims top the list with nearly 40% of all home insurance claims due to these two acts of nature. Fire and lightning are the second most common, but claims due to fire tend to much bigger than claims dues to other types of risk. The possibility of a total loss is why it’s so important to insure your home for the full cost of rebuilding. Get a custom quote today.
3) Q: If I drop my computer, will home insurance cover the cost of replacement?
Home insurance policies usually cover personal property for a specific list of risks, called named perils. These perils might include fire, theft, burst pipes, and more, but dropping your laptop or TV or spilling soda on your new game console isn’t covered. See the best home insurance providers for a custom quote.