When most people think of Slovenia, the first image that comes to mind is the country’s gorgeous mountain landscapes and luxe ski resorts. Forex traders in Slovenia can easily access the forex market with sweeping protections from the European Union. If you’re interested in learning more about forex trading, be sure to read our guide before you enter the market.
Get Started with Forex in Slovenia
Before you can trade forex, you’ll need to open your first brokerage account. A brokerage account will allow you to access the forex market through your broker. Here are the basic steps you’ll go through when you open your brokerage account.
- Step 1: Connect to the internet. Most forex brokers now allow you to open your brokerage account entirely online. Make sure that you have a stable, private connection to the internet before you open your account.
- Step 2: Compare brokers. There are many international brokers offering services to investors in Slovenia. Compare at least 3 brokerage options operating in your country before you choose where you’d like to open an account. Be sure to know and understand each broker’s fee schedule, account requirements, regulatory status and available currencies before you submit your personal information and open your account.
- Step 3: Download your trading platform. Though many brokers offer their own customizable proprietary platform, some brokers require that traders use a 3rd-party software to trade. If you aren’t sure which platform is right for you, you might want to begin with MetaTrader 4 or 5. These platforms are some of the most widely used and accepted in the forex sphere, and are supported by most international brokers.
- Step 4: Deposit trading funds. Before you can place your first trade and start using your brokerage account, you’ll need to deposit trading funds. Most traders in Slovenia accomplish this by directly depositing via a bank transfer, but you may also be able to fund your account with an electronic wallet or debit card depending on your broker.
- Step 5: Make a trade. Once your deposit shows up in your trading account, you can place your first forex trade.
Slovenia Forex Trading Strategies
There are 2 major forex market analysis methods used by traders who hold the euro as their base currency: fundamental analysis and technical analysis. Let’s take a look at some of the differences between the 2 and what you’ll need to get started with each.
A strong economy typically results in a stronger national currency. Traders who use fundamental analysis as their primary market analysis strategy spend their time analyzing the underlying factors that influence a currency’s movement. They look at economic reports and political election data to determine the relative strength of each country’s economy. Some primary sources that a trader using fundamental analysis might look at include:
- GDP reports
- Unemployment rates
- Consumer confidence indexes
- Non-farm payroll data
Most traders who use fundamental analysis take a long-term approach to trading. To get started with fundamental analysis, you’ll need a regularly updated source for international news and economic data.
Traders who use technical analysis as their primary market analysis method typically don’t spend a lot of time examining economic reports. Instead, they use chart patterns and candlestick formations to predict how currencies will move over a short period of time. There are many chart patterns that a trader might look for, including:
- Head and shoulders tops and bottoms
- Reversal candlesticks
- Ascending, descending and symmetrical triangles
- Cup and handle
To begin with technical analysis trading, you’ll need recent currency exchange rate data and a trading platform with charting capabilities.
Forex Trading Example in Slovenia
Forex traders earn money by strategically exchanging 1 currency for another. For example, forex traders might sell euros against another currency when they think the euro is strong and then buy it back when it weakens. Let’s take a look at an example.
Julia opens a brokerage account, which she funds with €10,000. Her broker provides her with 10:1 leverage, which means that she can place trades worth up to €100,000 if she chooses. Julia thinks that the value of the British pound will soon rise in relation to the euro, so she decides to take a position controlling the equivalent of €10,000 worth of GBP using her leverage.
One euro is currently equal to 0.9100 GBP. Julia uses her margin to control the equivalent of €100,000 into pounds, which is a position currently valued at £91,000. Julia keeps her eyes on the value of the EUR/GBP pair — when 1 EUR equals 0.8990 GBP, she decides to cash out and take her profits. Closing out of her position leaves her with control of her original deposit plus €1,223 in profits. Julia has earned a total profit of €1,223 on this trade.
Making Money with Forex in Slovenia
As a member of the European Union, traders in Slovenia enjoy many broker protections, including negative balance protection to limitations on leverage trading from both the European Union and the Bank of Slovenia. Forex trading is legal, and you can deposit as much money as you wish into a local or international forex trading account.
Forex trading still involves a certain level of inherent risk. Limit your risks by following these best practices.
- Watch your leverage usage. Though you might be able to access leverage as high as 30:1, this level of leverage can quickly result in a margin call. Be careful when using leverage, especially when you first start trading.
- Practice your strategy. Most brokers operating in Slovenia allow you to test out your trading strategy using a demo account before you commit any of your own money. Be sure to master your unique trading strategy before you enter the market.
- Stick to the major currency pairs. Trading major currency pairs (for example, the EUR/USD) will prevent you from losing large amounts of money through volatility. It’s better to stick with major currency pairs before moving on to trading less liquid minor currency pairs and crosses.
Best Online Forex Brokers in Slovenia
No matter where you trade from, it’s important to choose a qualified and regulated forex broker. As a member of the European Union, investors in Slovenia have a wide range of brokers they can choose from when they decide to start trading currencies.
Not sure where to begin? Get started by browsing a few of our top-recommended brokers offering services to traders in Slovenia below.
A fully regulated broker with a presence in Europe, South Africa, the Middle East, British Virgin Islands, Australia and Japan, Avatrade deals with mainly forex and CFDs on stocks, commodities, indexes, forex, cryptocurrencies, etc. This brokerage is headquartered in Dublin, Ireland and began offering its services in 2006. It offers multiple trading platforms and earns mainly through spreads.
- Advanced traders
- Traders looking for a well-diversified portfolio
- Controlled by regulatory agencies of multiple countries
- Choice offered in terms of trading platforms
- Support available in 14 languages and trading platforms in 20 languages
- Practice/demo account available for trying out
- Breadth of trading assets
- Does not accept customers from the U.S. as it isn’t regulated in the U.S.
- Transferring funds to the account may take up to five days; withdrawals could take up to 10 days
HotForex is a company with a headquarters in London that provides clients with unique investment opportunities through contracts for differences (CFDs) on forex, metals, energies, indices, shares, commodities, bonds and ETFs, etc.
- Investing in CFDs
- Choosing from other investments
- Customer service
- Easy navigation
- Lots of trading platforms to choose from
- Extra trading tools
- Platform not available to U.S. and Canadian residents
IG is a comprehensive forex broker that offers full access to the currency market and support for over 80 currency pairs. The broker only offers forex trading to its U.S.-based customers, the brokerage does it spectacularly well. Novice traders will love IG’s intuitive mobile and desktop platforms, while advanced traders will revel in the platform’s selection of indicators and charting tools. Though IG could work on its customer service and fees, the broker is an asset to new forex traders and those who prefer a more streamlined interface.
- New forex traders who are still learning the ropes
- Traders who prefer a simple, clean interface
- Forex traders who trade primarily on a tablet
- Easy-to-navigate platform is easy for beginners to master
- Mobile and tablet platforms offer full functionality of the desktop version
- Margin rates are easy to understand and affordable
- Access to over 80 currency pairs
- U.S. traders can currently only trade forex
- Customer service options are lacking
- No 2-factor authentication on mobile
Though Australian and British traders might know eToro for its easy stock and mobile trading, the broker is now expanding into the United States with cryptocurrency trading. U.S. traders can begin buying and selling both major cryptocurrencies (like Bitcoin and Ethereum) as well as smaller names (like Tron Coin and Stellar Lumens).
eToro offers traders the opportunity to invest their assets into premade portfolios or cryptocurrencies, similar to services offered by robo-advisors through traditional brokers. Though eToro isn’t a one-stop-shop for everything an investor needs, its easy-to-use platform and low spreads is a great way to enter the cryptocurrency market.
- International Forex/CFD Traders
- New cryptocurrency traders looking for an easy-to-use platform
- Traders who want to buy and sell cryptocurrencies on-the-go
- Simple platform that is easy to master
- CopyTrader feature that allows new traders to copy the same strategies used by professionals
- Virtual dummy account that gives you $100,000 to practice trades
- U.S. traders currently limited to cryptocurrencies
- Only 15 major coins available to trade
Cyprus-based ForexTime Limited, commonly referred to as FXTM, is one of the world’s most popular forex and contracts for difference (CFD) brokers. Since 2011, FXTM has provided traders with a wide range of trading instruments and educational resources, as well as fund protection, free demo accounts and account managers.
FXTM is regulated in a number of jurisdictions and supports the MetaTrader 4 and 5 (MT4&5) trading platforms and their mobile apps. In addition to forex, you can trade spot gold and silver, as well as CFDs on cryptocurrencies, indices, commodities and over 300 of the largest cap U.S. stocks. FXTM also provides educational webinars and seminars for less-experienced traders.
- Beginning traders
- Experienced traders
- Copy traders and people looking for a managed forex account
- Extensive list of trading instruments
- Online webinars and seminars
- Copy trading, PAMM and managed accounts
- Does not accept U.S.-based traders
- Does not support Myfxbook or ZuluTrader options for social trading
- No futures or options trading
Interactive Brokers is a comprehensive trading platform that gives you access to a massive range of securities at affordable prices. You can buy assets from all around the world from the comfort of your home or office with access to over 135 global markets. Options, futures, forex and fund trading are also available, and most traders won’t pay a commission on any purchase or sale.
IBKR is geared primarily toward experienced traders and investors but now with the availability of free trades with IBKR Lite, casual traders can also acclimate to IBKR’s offerings.
- Access to International markets
- Active traders
- Sophisticated investors
- Detailed mobile app that makes trading simple
- Wide range of available account types and tradable assets
- IB SmartRouting searches for the best firm price at the time of your order
- Trade on 135 markets, in 33 countries & 23 currencies worldwide
- Invest globally in stocks, options, futures, currencies, bonds and funds from a single integrated account
- Select from 24 currencies as a base currency for your account
As you search for a forex broker in Slovenia, you might want to try a company like IBKR. When you register for an International Brokers account, you get:
- Tight spreads that get as low as 1/10
- Massive liquidity
- More than 100 currency pairs
- Excellent FX trading tools
- Low commissions
- No hidden spreads
- No markups
When you look around for the best forex broker, you need more features, quality customer service and a platform that makes your life easier. If you feel as though the platform you’ve chosen isn’t working for you, try something else.
Safely Trading Forex in Slovenia
The key to entering the forex market is a solid trading strategy. Though you’ll enjoy international regulations when you trade from Slovenia, this doesn’t mean that you’re guaranteed to earn money when you trade forex. Be sure to practice your trading strategy using a demo account before you risk any of your hard-earned money on the market.
Get a Forex Pro on Your Side
FOREX.com, registered with the Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC), lets you trade a wide range of forex markets plus spot metals with low pricing and fast, quality execution on every trade.
You can also tap into:
- EUR/USD as low as 0.2 with fixed $5 commissions per 100,000
- Powerful, purpose-built currency trading platforms
- Monthly cash rebates of up to $9 per million dollars traded with FOREX.com’s Active Trader Program
Learn more about FOREX.com’s low pricing and how you can get started trading with FOREX.com.