Interested in a career in UX? The good news is you don’t need a 4-year degree to get started. An online UX design course can introduce you to the industry and equip you with the right skills to get hired or start your own business.
Not a UX novice? If you have some experience in the field, there are also courses to help you brush up on your skills.
Let the team at Benzinga help you find the perfect UX design course for your skill level and budget.
Best UX Design Courses
Take a sneak peek at Benzinga’s top picks for UX design courses:
- User Experience Design Essentials — Adobe XD UI UX Design by Udemy
- Introduction to User Experience Design by the Georgia Institute of Technology
- UX Design for Beginners — Learn User Behavior and Psychology by Udemy
- Wireframing for UX Design: Sketch Your Big Idea by Carlye Cunniff
- UX Foundations: Multidevice Design by LinkedIn Learning
- Become a UX Designer: Learn the Skills and Get the Job by Udemy
- UX and Web Design Master Course: Strategy, Design, Development by Udemy
- User Experience Design: Create Highly Converting Websites by Udemy
What Makes a UX Design Course Great?
UX design courses come in many formats, skill levels and price points. If you’re stuck on how to find the best options, eliminate classes that don’t meet our minimum criteria. Your narrowed list should include classes that fit the following.
1. Begin with the Basics
There’s so much to know about UX design if you want a course that begins with the foundational elements. This is especially important if you’re considering an intermediate or advanced level class and it’s been a while since you’ve done any continuing education.
2. Include Interactive Exercises
The best UX design courses require you to complete exercises to showcase your expertise. Another benefit of these activities is the ability to gain real-world experience in a practice setting while building your portfolio.
3. Stay Affordable
You can spend thousands on a UX design course to learn what you need or find a low-cost option. The choice is yours, but there are several affordable offerings that will help you accomplish the same goals for less. Strapped for cash or want to get your feet wet before diving in? Start with a free course.
Our Top Picks
Here are Benzinga’s selections for UX design courses. Our top picks are from leading eLearning providers, including Coursera, edX, Udemy, LinkedIn Learning and Skillshare.
The courses are listed by skill level — beginners, intermediate students and advanced students. We’ve also included a description and price point so you can identify classes that fit your needs and budget.
UX Design Courses for Beginners
Start with these introductory courses if you’re new to UX.
1. User Experience Design Essentials — Adobe XD UI UX Design by Udemy
- Price: On sale
Led by Adobe Certified Instructor Daniel Walter Scott, this Udemy bestseller teaches the basics of UI and UX design. It caters to beginners who want to pursue a career in the field or add UX Design to their resume to earn more.
A seat in the class includes 93 lectures jam-packed into 11.5 hours of on-demand video and 69 downloadable resources. You will also complete 2 projects that sharpen your skills and allow you to start building your portfolio.
Have a copy of Adobe XD 2019 (or a free trial) before you enroll.
2. Introduction to User Experience Design by the Georgia Institute of Technology
- Who it's for: Beginners
- Price: Free
Offered by the Georgia Institute of Technology, this course introduces User Experience (UX) Design from the ground up. It is instructed by Dr. Rosa I. Arriaga, a senior research scientist.
The class begins with an overview of user experience design, followed by lessons on requirement gathering, designing alternatives, prototyping and evaluation. Ultimately, you’ll walk away with a fundamental knowledge of user experience and the 4-step user interface design cycle.
Expect to spend 7 hours working through the material.
3. UX Design for Beginners — Learn User Behavior and Psychology by Udemy
Do you want to launch your user experience design career soon? Consider this popular course from Udemy to equip you with the essential skills to get up and running.
Facilitated by UI UX Designer and Web Developer Muhammad Ahsan Pervaiz, the class is divided into 6 sections:
- Introduction to User Experience, UX Roles and How to Be a UX Designer
- Human-Centered Design, Double Diamond Model of Design and Root Cause Analysis
- Principles and Concepts of User Experience, Usability and Interaction Design
- Human Behavior Patterns, Decision-Making, Scanning Patterns and Change Blindness
- Designing for Humans — How to Design Better Products for Humans
- How Developers Can Improve User Experience
Enroll now to take advantage of special pricing and receive full lifetime access to 5.5 hours of on-demand video and 3 articles. The course also comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee if you’re unsatisfied for any reason.
Intermediate UX Design Courses
These intermediate courses are a good fit if you have some UX experience under your belt.
4. Wireframing for UX Design: Sketch Your Big Idea by Carlye Cunniff
- Who it's for: Intermediate students
- Price: Free
Wireframing for UX Design: Sketch Your Big Idea brings you up to speed on wireframing and teaches you how to use it for your next project.
Experience Designer Carlye Cunniff draws from her work in the field to bring you invaluable insights on wireframing and why it’s significant to the design process. She also shares where wireframing falls in the UX process and ways UX designers use wireframes to express flows or individual product screens.
The class includes 7 video lessons that span a little over 1 hour. You will also create your own lo-fi wireframe in the final segment.
5. UX Foundations: Multidevice Design by LinkedIn Learning
- Who it's for: Intermediate students
- Price: Included with the monthly membership or $34.99
This course is for you if you understand the basics of UX but want to apply those skills across devices. Even better, you’ll learn what it takes to design for cellphones, tablets, wearable tech and so much more in well under 2 hours.
UX Foundations: Multi-device design includes lessons on multi device strategies, considerations and planning the multi-device experience. It also covers design for several devices in Sketch, along with frameworks and guidelines.
Enrollment is included with a $29.99 monthly LinkedIn membership. Or you can test drive the course for free with a 1-month trial.
Facilitator Diane Cronewett is a UX designer with a knack for solving complex design problems.
6. Become a UX Designer: Learn the Skills and Get the Job by Udemy
Have foundational UX knowledge and are sold on a career in the industry? Enroll in this course to prepare for your dream job. And if you already work in the field and desire more rewarding opportunities, this class is also a good fit.
When you sign up today, you’ll have instant access to 5 hours of on-demand video and 31 articles. The class also includes interactive projects to help polish your skills before applying them in the real world.
Have basic knowledge of Adobe and Microsoft products before your register.
Advanced UX Design Courses
Experienced UX Designers will find these courses useful.
7. UX and Web Design Master Course: Strategy, Design, Development by Udemy
UX and Web Design Master Course: Strategy, Design and Development is a Udemy bestseller worth considering if you want to boost your UX expertise and create websites that convert.
Take advantage of the discounted enrollment fee today. It only takes a few seconds to sign up, and you’ll have instant access to 187 lectures condensed into 23.5 hours of on-demand video and 17 downloadable resources. You receive a certificate of completion when you finish the course.
Instructor Joe Natoli is an experienced UX design veteran with over 29 years in the field. He’s also a highly-rated Udemy instructor that’s taught over 140,000 students.
Have access to free trial versions of Adobe Photoshop and Axure RP before you enroll.
9. User Experience Design: Create Highly Converting Websites by Udemy
User Experience Design: Create Highly Converting Websites shows you how to identify the most pressing needs of your users and create a site that speaks to them. It is ideal for UX designers, web developers, web designers, project managers and marketing managers.
The enrollment fee includes full lifetime access to 38 lectures condensed into 5.5 hours of on-demand video and 1 article.
Course content is delivered through 6 modules:
- User Experience Design Overview
- Intro and Definitions
- How Customers Behave Online
- Personas and Card Sorting
- Structure and Navigation
- Evaluation — Testing and Analytics
The class is presented by Oxford Learning Lab.
Choose the Best UX Design Course for You
Jumpstart your career as a UX designer, land that promotion you’ve been wanting or ramp up your business. Our recommendations can put you on the right track, and you won’t have to invest a fortune to get started.
Southern New Hampshire University Online
SNHU Online Offers:
- Flexible schedules
- Affordable tuition
- Online tutoring
- Access to electronic research materials
- Specialized academic advising
- Supportive online community