The Big Apple isn’t just a great place for people — it’s a fantastic place for pets, too. As a New York City pet parent, you want your furry loved ones to live their best lives. Pet insurance can help them do that and save you money in the long run. Interested in knowing more about the best NYC pet insurance? Here’s everything about pet insurance New York City residents need to know.
Quick Look: Best Pet Insurance NYC
- Best for Prescription Food and Supplements: Spot Pet Insurance
- Top-Rated Pet Insurance: Lemonade Pet Insurance
- Best for Families With Multiple Pets: Pumpkin
- Immediate Coverage: PetFirst
- Best for Unlimited Annual Benefits: Figo
- Best for Bundling With Other Insurance Products: Progressive
Table of contents [Show]
- Quick Look: Best Pet Insurance NYC
- The Best Pet Insurance NYC
- 1. SPOT Pet Insurance
- 2. Best for Flexibility: Lemonade Pet Insurance
- 3. Best for Reimbursement: Pumpkin
- 4. Cheapest in NYC: PetFirst
- 5. Best for Mobile App: Figo
- 6. Best for Customizing Coverage: Progressive
- Pet Insurance in New York City: An Overview
- What Does Pet Insurance Typically Cover?
- How Does Pet Insurance Work?
- 3 Reasons to Buy Pet Insurance in NYC
- Which Pet Insurance NYC Plan Is Best for Me?
- Frequently Asked Questions
The Best Pet Insurance NYC
Ready to find the best pet insurance in NYC? Here are our top picks:
1. SPOT Pet Insurance
SPOT Pet Insurance is the No. 1 pet insurance provider recommended by Cesar Millan, the leading expert in dog behavior. Some insurance highlights:
- Between 70% and 90% reimbursement on eligible vet bills
- No age cap on coverage
- Plans start as low as $1 a day
You can customize your coverage and can even add special SPOT-On coverage. Coverage options include accidents, behavioral issues, dental disease, illnesses, preventive services and even hereditary and congenital conditions.
SPOT’s claims service is easy. Just visit your vet (don’t forget to give your pet a treat on the way out!), send SPOT the bill and get reimbursed.
Take 30 seconds to fetch your free quote now.
*Rates vary based on plan type, species, breed, age and location
Spot Pet Insurance’s innovative approach provides user-friendly access to customizable coverage. Your dog or cat is covered without completing a medical exam. The policies cover veterinary bills, either partially or in full, when your pet goes in for a check-up or routine vaccination or needs care for injury, chronic illness or prescription coverage. Spot also covers implanting a microchip in your pet. You’ll also get 10% off of each additional pet you insure.
- Cats and dogs of all breeds, sizes and ages
- Insuring multiple pets
- Customizing an insurance plan
- Prescription food and supplements
- Multiple pet discount
- Covers prescription food and supplements
- No upper age limit for coverage enrollment
- 30-day money-back guarantee*
- More reimbursement options: 70%, 80% and 90%
- Doesn’t cover exotic pets
2. Best for Flexibility: Lemonade Pet Insurance
Lemonade is a simple company to work with, allowing you to register for insurance on its website at any time. When you choose pet insurance, you can decide whether the policy will pay 70%, 80% or 90% of your expenses and your premiums are set accordingly.
There are accident & illness and preventative plans that protect your pets. With the accident & illness plan, you get coverage for:
The preventative plans cover:
- Wellness exams
- Fecal and heartworm tests
- Live medical chats with a professional
You can use the Lemonade website to register today, or you can check out Benzinga’s review of the platform here.
Lemonade offers easy-to-understand coverage options for dogs and cats. It’s even better for those who already have Lemonade renters or homeowners insurance as you get a discount for bundling your policies.
Insurance companies keep extra dollars for profit, but Lemonade is unique in that after it pays your claims and its expenses, it gives any remaining premiums to a charity that you choose when you sign up for a policy. You can select charities like the American Red Cross, the Trevor Project, and many pet-centric causes. The downside to Lemonade pet insurance is that you can only insure dogs and cats (no exotic animals).
- Those who want to bundle with their home policy
- Pet owners who prefer to buy and manage their policies online
- Pet owners who want to customize their pet’s policy
- Super customizable so you get everything your pet needs without paying for stuff you won’t use
- Discount for having Lemonade home or renters insurance
- Very high cap on annual limits
- Only offers coverage for dogs and cats
- Not available in all states
3. Best for Reimbursement: Pumpkin
Your dog or cat deserves the very best care possible, and Pumpkin Pet Insurance gives you the opportunity to do your best.
After Pumpkin reviews your claim and determines whether your cat can be covered, you’ll receive a robust 90% reimbursement for the covered costs on your claim.
Pumpkin Pet Insurance offers traditional pet insurance as well as optional preventive care coverage at an additional cost. While Pumpkin does offer a wide range of coverage options, you’ll notice some limits to be aware of. All Pumpkin Pet Insurance plans have an annual coverage limit and all of its policies come with a high reimbursement rate.
- Families with pets who don’t expect their bills to go higher than Pumpkin’s coverage limits
- Families with multiple pets who can benefit from their discount for each additional pet’s policy
- No upper age limit
- Multiple pet discount
- An extensive list of covered procedures
- Plans only cover cats and dogs — no other pet types
4. Cheapest in NYC: PetFirst
Making ends meet in NYC can be tough. PetFirst offers affordable pet insurance plans, starting at $9 per month for cats and $15 per month for dogs. You’re not giving up quality if you go with PetFirst, though.
It has short waiting periods for coverage and a variety of plans. PetFirst covers alternative therapies and you can opt-in for routine care coverage for an additional fee.
You’ve got health insurance for you and your family, but what about your dog or cat? PetFirst is part of the MetLife insurance family, and it offers pet insurance for dogs and cats. Founded in 2004, PetFirst pet insurance is underwritten by the Independence American Insurance Company.
PetFirst not only covers all breeds of dogs and cats, it protects pets of all ages. Puppies must be a minimum 8 weeks old to qualify.
PetFirst has no networks, so you get to choose any vet you want. Be aware, however, that PetFirst is a reimbursement service, meaning you have to pay for services at the time of disbursement.
PetFirst allows you to take your pet to any veterinarian you choose, and plans start at just $15 per month for dogs and $9 for cats. The company’s three different plans — Cost Conscious, Recommended and Additional Coverage — offer annual benefits of $2,000, $5,000 and $10,000, respectively. Basic policies operate on an 80% reimbursement rate with a $250 deductible.
- MetLife customers
- Immediate coverage
- Full coverage no matter your pet’s age
- Discount for multiple pets
- Low deductibles for years with no claims
- No age or breed restrictions
- 80% reimbursement rates
- Extended waiting period for hip dysplasia
- Routine wellness exams not covered
- Pre-existing conditions not covered
5. Best for Mobile App: Figo
City life often keeps you on the go. Figo makes it easy to keep up with your pet insurance and your pet’s needs. Figo Pet Cloud helps you connect with other NYC pet parents and find all the pet-friendly places your city has to offer. It reminds you when your pets need their annual shots and it allows you to talk to a vet 24/7.
You can upload your vet receipts right into the app, making the claims process simple, too. Figo keeps you connected, and it offers comprehensive pet insurance that you can use at any licensed vet.
Pet insurance can help you pay for unexpected veterinary expenses if your pet contracts an illness or sustains an injury. Figo Pet Insurance is a leading pet insurance provider, offering a variety of coverage levels for both cats and dogs.
You can customize your insurance by adjusting reimbursement percentages and deductibles to fit your needs, and claims are paid out exceptionally fast. Figo customers also have 24/7 access to a veterinary assistance line, which can help pet owners manage an emergency with expert care.
- Cat and dog owners
- Pet owners looking for unlimited annual benefits
- Pet owners in need of customizable policy options
- Streamlined, straightforward application process
- No need to get a new exam if your pet has had one in the past 12 months
- Up to 100% reimbursement available
- Option to add unlimited annual benefits
- Diagnostic veterinary visits not included under standard plans
6. Best for Customizing Coverage: Progressive
Sometimes it’s simpler to keep all your coverage with one carrier. If you already have Progressive for home or auto insurance, consider getting your pet insurance there, too.
You can customize your deductible, your reimbursement percentage and your payment schedule with Progressive’s pet insurance plans. City life is busy enough — make your life easier by getting the coverage you need, all in one place.
Progressive is a major insurance provider offering a wide selection of insurance products, including insurance for dogs and cats. Although Progressive’s pet insurance options are affordable, consider wellness coverage, but you won’t be able to claim 100% reimbursements on every policy. With easy quotes and accident-only plans, however, Progressive can be an excellent choice for pet owners shopping on a budget.
- Bundling with other insurance products
- Customizable coverage options with the choice to add wellness coverage
- Quick email quotes make comparisons simple
- Affordable accident-only policies available
- Only available for cats and dogs
- Boarding costs not included in any plan
Pet Insurance in New York City: An Overview
New York City is a surprisingly pet-friendly city. Let’s take a look at the numbers:
Number of households with pets: About 33% of NYC households have pets. That adds up to about 600,000 dogs and 500,000 cats.
Amount spent on pet bills annually:
Average cost of pet insurance annually:
- For dogs: $444
- For cats: $204
What Does Pet Insurance Typically Cover?
Pet insurance is similar to health insurance for people. It does have some differences when it comes to what it covers and what it doesn’t. Pet insurance typically covers:
- Illnesses: Pet insurance helps pay for the costs of diagnosing and treating illnesses. Whether it’s cancer, an ear infection or a tummy ache, you can find out what’s wrong with your pet and get the treatments or medications your pet needs to feel better.
- Accidents: Pets have minds of their own, and accidents happen. Pet insurance gives you the peace of mind of knowing that you can get your pets taken care of if they’ve swallowed something they shouldn’t have, cut themselves or got hurt another way. You can get X-rays, ultrasounds and other diagnostic tests and get the treatment they need, including surgery.
- Hereditary and congenital conditions: Some breeds are prone to health issues. These health issues may not show up until later in life. Pet insurance usually covers these conditions.
Pet insurance may cover:
- Preventive care: It’s important to take your pets to the vet to get their annual checkups. Pet insurance may not cover preventive care or it may be offered as an add-on for an additional cost.
- Alternative therapies: Therapies like acupuncture and chiropractic care can be a big help to your pet. Not all insurance plans include this coverage but you may be able to buy it as an add-on.
- Care for behavioral issues: Consulting a vet is a critical step in treating a behavioral issue like separation anxiety or excessive chewing. Pet insurance may not cover care for behavioral issues, or you may need to pay extra to add on this benefit.
Pet insurance typically does not cover:
- Cosmetic procedures: Pet insurance doesn’t usually cover ear cropping, removing claws and other cosmetic procedures.
- Breeding: Pet insurance plans don’t usually cover costs related to pet pregnancy and breeding.
- Preexisting conditions: A preexisting condition is a condition that existed before your pet insurance starts. Some insurance plans may eventually cover these conditions after a waiting period. That means your pet cannot have any symptoms of the condition during the waiting period.
Review the terms of plans you are considering carefully so you know which conditions will be covered.
How Does Pet Insurance Work?
Most pet insurance plans are set up the same way. Plans typically have:
- A deductible: This is the amount you pay for covered care each year before your plan starts paying. If you have a $500 deductible, you will need to pay $500 before your plan starts reimbursing you for care.
- A reimbursement percentage: Pet insurance usually works on a reimbursement basis. This means you pay your vet and submit the itemized receipt to your pet insurance provider. Your pet insurance sends you a check for a percentage of covered services. Let’s say you’ve already met your deductible and you get a $500 vet bill. Your plan has 80% reimbursement. You send your insurance company the bill and the insurance company sends you a check for $400.
- Coverage limits: Some plans limit the amount they pay each year. A $3,000 annual limit means your plan reimburses you up to $3,000 per year. After that, you’re responsible for the costs of vet care.
3 Reasons to Buy Pet Insurance in NYC
While there are a lot of reasons to buy pet insurance, let’s look at the top 3.
- City life: It’s bustling, there’s traffic and accidents happen. Pet insurance helps take the sting out of unexpected vet bills.
- The high costs of vet care: New York City consistently ranks as the most expensive city in the U.S. Everything is more expensive, including vet care. Pet insurance can help ensure you can afford to take your pets to the vet when you need to.
- Having choices about pet care: No one wants to make decisions about their pet’s health based on their budget. Pet insurance gives you the freedom to choose the best care for your pet, without being focused on cost.
Which Pet Insurance NYC Plan Is Best for Me?
Choosing a pet insurance plan is a big decision. Your plan should fit into your budget while providing the coverage you need. Contact multiple companies for a quote, and ask for a sample policy to review. A sample policy will spell out what each plan covers and what it doesn’t. Compare the deductibles, waiting periods and reimbursement percentages.
Look at reviews and talk to your vet and other local pet owners about their pet insurance experiences. Ultimately, any plan will take the edge off your vet bills and give you peace of mind.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is not covered by pet insurance in NYC?
Pet insurance does not cover pre-existing conditions, breeding and cosmetic procedures.
What are the advantages of buying pet insurance in NYC?
The most significant benefits include high costs, increased risks and choices of care.
Related content: BEST FINANCIAL ADVISORS IN NEW YORK CITY