Insurance of any kind is designed to provide security and care for your loved ones when the unexpected happens. Show some love for your 4-legged family members with a comprehensive pet insurance policy. If you’re a New Jersey pet parent, you have lots of options for pet insurance to ensure your furry friends get the care they need, when they need it. Take a look at Benzinga’s guide to the best pet insurance in NJ.
Best Pet Insurance in New Jersey:
- High-Quality Pet Insurance: Spot Pet Insurance
- Best for Older Pets: Pumpkin Pet Insurance
- Cheapest in New Jersey: petfirst
- Best for Multiple Pets: Progressive
- Best for Preexisting Conditions: Embrace Pet Insurance
Pet Insurance in New Jersey: An Overview
New Jersey has over 3 million households, and more than half of those have pets:
Number of households with pets: 1.67 million
Amount spent on pet bills annually:
Average cost of pet insurance annually:
- Dogs: $444
- Cats: $204
What Does Pet Insurance Typically Cover?
Like any insurance plan, each pet insurance covers select services and conditions. Review plans for exclusions. Plans typically cover:
- Care after an accident. Most plans cover diagnostic tests and treatments, including medication and surgery. Many pet insurance companies offer accident-only plans — an inexpensive option if accidents are your primary concern.
- Care for illnesses. Whether your furry friend has a tummy ache, arthritis or another illness, pet insurance plans usually cover the costs of diagnosing and treating illnesses.
- Care for hereditary conditions. Some inherited conditions show up later in life. Plans typically cover care if this is the case for your pet.
There are also some services that might be covered by pet insurance. Plans cover these options widely. Here are a few specialized services some plans cover:
- Preventive care. Pet insurance plans vary for routine, preventive care. Some include it, but many offer it as an optional add-on.
- Alternative care. Some plans won’t cover acupuncture, laser therapy and other alternative therapies. If this coverage is important to you, review and seek plans for these treatments.
- Behavioral care. Issues like chewing or aggression can improve with the right medical attention. Again, you’ll need to seek a more specialized plan to have this therapy covered.
What Isn’t Covered by Pet Insurance?
Coverage is never all-inclusive. Make sure you know what isn’t covered by pet insurance. Here’s what’s not included in a pet insurance policy:
- Preexisting conditions. This is any condition that existed before your coverage started. Plans can vary in how they define preexisting conditions. Some cover preexisting conditions as long as there are no symptoms for a waiting period of 6 months or more. If your pet has a pre-existing condition, dig into the fine print of any plans you’re considering so you know what to expect.
- Cosmetic procedures. Plans typically don’t cover tail docking or other cosmetic procedures.
- Pregnancy. Most pet insurance plans don’t cover breeding and pregnancy.
How Does Pet Insurance Work?
Pet insurance provides some of the same benefits, but it still works a bit differently than health insurance for humans. Take a look at the basic components of insurance policies and how they function within a pet insurance plan:
- Premiums. This is the monthly or annual fee you pay for coverage.
- Deductibles. Most plans have an annual deductible. This is the amount you pay for covered services before the plan starts paying. If you have a $250 deductible and a $500 vet bill, you’ll pay the first $250. After that, your plan will pay according to its terms. In most cases, you won’t have to pay the deductible again until the next year.
- Reimbursement. Pet insurance plans usually work on a reimbursement basis. This means that you pay your vet bill in full and submit the receipt to your pet insurance company. The company reviews your bill, and when it approves your claim, you’ll be reimbursed according to your plan’s terms.
Pet insurance typically pays a percentage for covered services. Let’s say you choose a plan with 80% reimbursement, and you’ve paid your deductible for the year. Your pet eats a sock, and you end up with a $1,000 vet bill. You pay the vet $1,000 and submit the itemized receipt. Once your insurance reviews and approves the claim, it sends you $800.
- Limits. This is the most your plan will pay for services in a year. Most pet insurance plans may have an annual limit. If a plan has a $2,000 limit, it will pay $2,000 for services. Any costs beyond that are your responsibility.
3 Reasons to Buy Pet Insurance in NJ
Why should you buy pet insurance? Here are our top 3 reasons:
- The cost of care. New Jersey has a high cost of living and that can go for vet care too. Pet insurance helps cover the cost of care so vet bills don’t break the bank.
- No delay in care. Pet insurance provides the security to seek care when your pet needs it — and not wait till you get your next paycheck.
- Treatment choices. Veterinary care can be expensive, and it’s heartbreaking to have your treatment options limited by your budget. Pet insurance gives you the freedom to choose the treatment that’s best for your pet.
The Best Pet Insurance in New Jersey
Ready to find New Jersey’s best pet insurance? Here are Benzinga’s top picks.
1. High-Quality Pet Insurance: Spot Pet Insurance
Spot Pet Insurance offers comprehensive, affordable pet insurance to New Jersey families. Spot Pet Insurance covers the expected like accidents and illnesses, as well as more specialized services — preventive care, behavioral issues, exam fees, prescription food and supplements and microchips.
It also offers a 30-day money-back guarantee. The company makes filing a claim easy. You can file online, by phone, mail or fax and Spot Pet Insurance will send you a check or a direct deposit for reimbursement.
2. Best for Older Pets: Pumpkin Pet Insurance
Pumpkin Pet Insurance offers traditional pet insurance as well as optional preventive care coverage at an additional cost. While Pumpkin does offer a wide range of coverage options, you’ll notice some limits to be aware of. All Pumpkin Pet Insurance plans have an annual coverage limit and all of its policies come with a high reimbursement rate.
There is no upper age limit on Pumpkin policies, so it’s a good option if you have an older pet. It also offers multiple discounts and an extensive list of covered procedures.
3. Most Affordable in NJ: petfirst
Plans start at less than $20 per month, petfirst offers affordable coverage to NJ pet parents. petfirst works with you to customize a plan so you can get as much or as little coverage as you want. You can also add routine care coverage.
petfirst plans allow you to choose any licensed vet, specialist or emergency clinic in the U.S. Policies accept pets of all ages and breeds, so you can also get coverage for senior pets.
4. Best for Multiple Pets: Progressive
Progressive is a great option if you’re a New Jersey household with multiple pets. It offers a 5% discount for multiple pets and allows you to customize your reimbursement percentage, deductible and annual limit.
You can also add on preventive care. Progressive includes pet injury coverage with collision coverage, a huge benefit if you’re already a Progressive car insurance customer.
5. Best for Preexisting Conditions: Embrace Pet Insurance
Are you caring for a pet with health issues? Take a look at Embrace Pet Insurance. Embrace Pet Insurance is unique because it distinguishes between curable and incurable preexisting conditions. It covers curable conditions after your pet is treatment- and symptom-free for 12 months.
It also covers routine care and has a “diminishing deductible.” This means that each year you don’t make a claim, your deductible will be lowered by $50.
Is Pet Insurance Right for Me?
Pet insurance can help you manage the cost of quality vet care for your 4-legged family members. Compare quotes from multiple carriers, including our trusted partner, and review each plan carefully. Choose a plan with the coverage you need at a price you can afford.
First-Class for Your Pet?
SPOT Pet Insurance knows that your pets are part of your family. SPOT offers the highest quality pet-centric coverage and first-class service for pet insurance.
SPOT works hard to earn your trust with a clear explanation of benefits and responsive associates ready to answer your questions. SPOT even sends “get well” notes for your pets and provides access to telehealth resources.