Coinbase Passes 2 Million Registrations For NFT Platform, Company Shares Plans For Launch
A leading cryptocurrency exchange is set to take on the NFT marketplace and has seen huge interest from its large customer base.
Coinbase Vice President of Product Sanchan Saxena recently shared some details of Coinbase’s NFT launch and its plans in the space.
- Coinbase’s NFT marketplace will be open for all creators
- Every NFT will be minted on-chain
- NFTs can be taken anywhere an owner wants
- You can list NFTs from other marketplaces on the Coinbase NFT Marketplace
- NFTs on the Coinbase NFT Marketplace will be able to be sold on other platforms
- Users can use their existing wallet to purchase NFTs
- Coinbase will also offer users the ability to buy with their existing Coinbase account, including using fiat.
- Coinbase will start with offering Ethereum (CRYPTO: ETH)-based NFTs
- Plans call for the company to offer additional cryptocurrency-based NFTs
Why It’s Important: Coinbase ended the second quarter with 68 million users and 8.8 million monthly transacting users.
OpenSea, the most popular NFT marketplace, has 300,000 users and offers over 34 million NFTs.
Coinbase having 2 million users signed up for its waitlist demonstrates the initial demand and could pose a threat to OpenSea.
Coinbase could also diversify itself from cryptocurrency-related revenue as a marketplace that enjoys commissions from the buying and selling of NFTs.
COIN Price Action: COIN shares were trading down 4.43% at $300.76 midday Thursday.
© 2021 Benzinga.com. Benzinga does not provide investment advice. All rights reserved.