Medicinal marijuana growers and retailers in Connecticut spent a significant amount of money on lobbying in the years leading up to the legalization of the state's recreational cannabis sales.
- Watertown, Connecticut-based Theraplant spent over $657,000 on lobbying between 2019 and 2022
- New York-based Acreage Holdings ACRHF, which owns three MMJ dispensaries in the state, increased its lobbying investment from about $136,000 in 2019 and 2020 to more than $210,500 in 2021 and 2022.
- Florida-based Trulieve TCNNF also spent $158,990.80 on lobbyists in 2021 and 2022.
- Companies that specified only "cannabis" or "marijuana" in their filings spent $852,470.25 between 2019 and 2020, and $956,365.28 between 2021 and 2022.
Data was sourced from CT Insider, citing lobbyist filings reviewed by Hearst Connecticut Media.
Verano Holdings VRNOF and Curaleaf Holdings Inc CURLF are among the cultivators that currently produce cannabis for Connecticut's recreational market.
“Lobbyists play a big role in crafting every single piece of legislation in every state house in the country. I don't think that's a story that's unique to cannabis,” according to DeVaughan Ward senior legislative counsel at D.C.-based Marijuana Policy Project. “Cannabis is an issue that touches public safety, economic development, criminal justice (...) It's a really broad swath of interests that come to play when you're talking about cannabis legalization.”
Benzinga's Cannabis Capital Conference Is Back
The most successful cannabis business event in the world, the Benzinga Cannabis Capital Conference, returns to Miami for its 16th edition. This is the place where DEALS GET DONE, where money is raised, M&A starts, and companies meet investors and key partners. Join us at the Fontainebleau Miami Beach Hotel in Florida on April 11-12. Don’t miss out. Secure your tickets now as prices will go up very soon.
Image Credits: Underworld by Shutterstock and jimarojfm by Pixabay Edited By Benzinga
© 2023 Benzinga.com. Benzinga does not provide investment advice. All rights reserved.
BENZINGA CANNABIS CAPITAL CONFERENCE & AWARDS
The Benzinga Cannabis Awards are coming back to the September 27-28, 2023 Cannabis Capital Conference to celebrate the NEW, CREATIVE, INNOVATIVE, and OUTSTANDING companies of the cannabis industry.
- Earn global recognition for your achievements.
- Shine a spotlight on the people around you that deserve their moment.
- Celebrate with the newest, hottest and most successful in the cannabis industry.
Nominate or apply NOW and help us celebrate the people, solutions, and companies leading the way in cannabis!
Join us on September 27-28, 2023 at Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile in Chicago, IL.