Goldman Sachs initiated bullish coverage on the metals and mining space, but the firm said investors still need to be selective about which stocks to buy.
Goldman analyst Matthew Korn set the following ratings and price targets for metals and mining stocks:
- Initiated Freeport-McMoRan Inc FCX with a Buy rating and $23 target.
- Nucor Corporation NUE with a Buy rating and $78 target.
- Steel Dynamics, Inc. STLD with a Buy rating and $59 target.
- Schnitzer Steel Industries, Inc. SCHN with a Buy rating and $42 target.
- Constellium NV CSTM with a Buy rating and $16 target.
- Commercial Metals Company CMC with a Sell rating and $25 target.
- Allegheny Technologies Incorporated ATI with a Sell rating and $26 target.
Overall fundamentals in the North American mining and metals markets are very strong, Korn said.
“Commodity prices are high, the supply side for metals and bulks looks more rational than it has been in years, M&M balance sheets are healthy (or at least healthier), and consumption has momentum from coordinated global growth, even as China gradually slows,” Korn said in the note.
Korn said copper is the most attractive metal for Goldman at the moment, and Feeport McMoRan has the most copper exposure of the names mentioned. In addition, Korn said U.S. steel mills are expanding capacity with the support of new trade policy and aluminum demand is strong driven by a booming transportation industry.
Here’s a look at how the stocks now covered by Goldman were following the initiation Tuesday:
- Freeport McMoRan was up 2.1 percent.
- Nucor was up 0.6 percent.
- Steel Dynamics was up 0.2 percent.
- Schnitzer was up 1.3 percent.
- Constellium was up 1.9 percent.
- Commercial Metals was down 0.4 percent.
- Allegheny Technologies was down 1.2 percent.
© 2022 Benzinga.com. Benzinga does not provide investment advice. All rights reserved.
Ad Disclosure: The rate information is obtained by Bankrate from the listed institutions. Bankrate cannot guaranty the accuracy or availability of any rates shown above. Institutions may have different rates on their own websites than those posted on Bankrate.com. The listings that appear on this page are from companies from which this website receives compensation, which may impact how, where, and in what order products appear. This table does not include all companies or all available products.
All rates are subject to change without notice and may vary depending on location. These quotes are from banks, thrifts, and credit unions, some of whom have paid for a link to their own Web site where you can find additional information. Those with a paid link are our Advertisers. Those without a paid link are listings we obtain to improve the consumer shopping experience and are not Advertisers. To receive the Bankrate.com rate from an Advertiser, please identify yourself as a Bankrate customer. Bank and thrift deposits are insured by the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. Credit union deposits are insured by the National Credit Union Administration.
Consumer Satisfaction: Bankrate attempts to verify the accuracy and availability of its Advertisers' terms through its quality assurance process and requires Advertisers to agree to our Terms and Conditions and to adhere to our Quality Control Program. If you believe that you have received an inaccurate quote or are otherwise not satisfied with the services provided to you by the institution you choose, please click here.
Rate collection and criteria: Click here for more information on rate collection and criteria.