Così, Inc. Reports Fiscal 2016 First Quarter Results
BOSTON, May 12, 2016 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Cosi, Inc. (NASDAQ: COSI), today reported 2016 first quarter results for the period ended March 28, 2016. For the 2016 first quarter the Company reported a net loss of ($3.5) million, or ($0.08) per diluted share, compared to ($4.3) million, or ($0.12) per diluted share, in the 2015 first quarter.
2016 First Quarter Revenue Highlights:
- Total revenues for the 2016 first quarter of $21.7 million increased $3.8 million, or 21.1%, when compared to the 2015 first quarter.
- Company-owned restaurant net sales for the 2016 first quarter of $21.2 million increased $4.0 million, or 23.3%, when compared to the 2015 first quarter.
- Company-owned restaurant net sales for the 2016 first quarter of $17.0 million, adjusted to exclude the Hearthstone restaurants acquired on April 1, 2015, decreased $0.2 million when compared to the 2015 first quarter, due to the net unfavorable impact of restaurants closed subsequent to the 2015 first quarter, partially offset by higher comp sales and new restaurants.
- System-wide comparable restaurant net sales for the 2016 first quarter, as measured for restaurants in operation for more than 15 consecutive months as Company-owned or franchised restaurants, recorded an aggregate increase of 1.5% when compared to the 2015 first quarter. The Hearthstone restaurants recorded an aggregate increase in comparable restaurant net sales for the 2016 first quarter of 5.4% when compared to the 2015 first quarter. Although the Hearthstone restaurants do not meet the reported comparable restaurant criteria, the Company began disclosing their comparable restaurant net sales in October 2015. The breakdown in estimated comparable net restaurant sales for Company-owned, franchised restaurants, and Hearthstone restaurants is as follows:
|2016 First Quarter Comparable Restaurant Net Sales|
|Reported Company-owned results||1.5||%|
|Reported Franchised results||3.7||%|
|Reported System-wide results||2.2||%|
|Disclosed Hearthstone results||5.4||%|
- Franchise fees and royalty revenues for the 2016 first quarter of $0.5 million decreased $0.2 million, or 34.4%, when compared to the 2015 first quarter. This variance was the result of the transition of the Hearthstone restaurants from franchised to Company-owned as of April 1, 2015.
2016 First Quarter Costs and Expenses Highlights:
- Cost of food and beverage. The cost of food and beverage as a percentage of restaurant net sales for the 2016 first quarter decreased by 1.6%, when compared to the 2015 first quarter. This decrease was primarily the result of operational improvements and stability in the costs of certain contracted commodities.
- Restaurant labor and related benefits. Restaurant labor and related benefits as a percentage of sales for the 2016 first quarter decreased by 3.5%, when compared to the 2015 first quarter. This decrease was due to the concerted efforts on hourly scheduling and manager configurations as well as other productivity initiatives.
- Occupancy and other restaurant operating expenses. Occupancy and other restaurant operating expenses, as a percentage of sales, for the 2016 first quarter, decreased by 3.3% when compared to the 2015 first quarter. This decrease was the result of newly acquired restaurants with higher sales volumes and lower fixed costs, as well as the closure of underperforming units with high occupancy costs.
- General and administrative expenses. General and administrative expenses for the 2016 first quarter decreased by approximately $0.3 million, when compared to the 2015 first quarter. This decrease was the result of costs incurred in the 2015 first quarter related to legal and professional fees associated with the Hearthstone acquisition, and costs related to turnover in leadership roles, as well as savings in payroll associated with reduction of headcount in the corporate office during the 2015 fourth quarter.
2016 First Quarter Restaurant Counts:
- As of March 28, 2016, there were 76 Company-owned and 31 franchise-owned restaurants operating in 15 states, the District of Columbia, the United Arab Emirates, and Costa Rica. During the three-month period ended March 28, 2016, we closed three Company-owned restaurants in New York, NY, Mt. Kisco, NY, and Columbus, OH. The change in restaurant counts is described below:
|For the Three-Months Period Ended|
|March 28, 2016||March 30, 2015|
|Restaurants at beginning of period||79||31||110||64||47||111|
|New restaurants opened||-||-||-||-||2||2|
|Restaurants permanently closed||3||-||3||1||-||1|
|Restaurants at end of period||76||31||107||63||49||112|
The Company previously reported that it expects to deliver positive adjusted EBITDA between the second and third quarters of 2016 and lay the foundation required to grow in 2017. RJ Dourney, the Company's President & CEO, stated, "Like most restaurant companies, every year we experience the lowest point of our seasonality in the first quarter. We knew that going into the quarter, and were relentless in pursuing the results we knew we needed to stay on track to begin generating cash between the second and third quarters. We met our target cash balance for the quarter, and are on track with our target for the second quarter."
Dourney went on to say, "We reached an inflection point in the fourth quarter last year, and we continued to see the momentum building at all levels of the business this quarter. Comp sales April year-to-date are consistent with our conservative target range of 1.0%-2.0%, our largest markets are growing at 5.0% or higher, and our restaurants are meeting our ambitious operating cash flow targets."
Dourney then addressed the Company's strategic objectives, stating, "We are working to deliver a stable operating and financial foundation in 2016 by being laser focused on driving traffic, generating cash, positioning our franchise system for growth, and cultivating a culture of ownership and accountability. I am confident that we will continue to move Cosi towards strategic innovation and growth in 2017."
Teleconference and Final Webcast Information
Così expects to host an investor teleconference and webcast at 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time today to discuss the Company's 2016 first quarter results.
Dial-In Number: (844) 249-9380
Secondary (International) Dial-In Number: (270) 823-1523
Participant Code: 6309587
Note: Participants should dial in a few minutes prior to the start time
Website link: http://ir.getcosi.com
Note: Live, then archived for one year
Dial-In Number: (855) 859-2056
Secondary Dial-In Number: (404) 537-3406
Participant Code: 6309587
Note: Available from May 12, 2016 (at 8:00 p.m. ET) until May 19, 2016 (8:00 PM ET)
Unaudited 2016 First Quarter Financial Statements
|Consolidated Balance Sheets (Unaudited)|
|(dollars in thousands, except per share amounts)|
|March 28, |
|December 28, |
|Cash and cash equivalents||$||3,200||$||5,152|
|Credit card receivables||547||343|
|Accounts receivable, net of allowances of $41 and $223, respectively||1,102||899|
|Prepaid expenses and other current assets||1,362||1,335|
|Total current assets||7,161||8,780|
|Furniture and fixtures, equipment and leasehold improvements, net||10,942||11,892|
|Notes receivable, net of allowances $1,001, respectively||-||-|
|Intangible assets, net||2,337||2,642|
|Liabilities and Stockholders' Equity|
|Current portion of other long-term liabilities||164||105|
|Current portion of long-term debt||-||473|
|Total current liabilities||8,059||9,062|
|Deferred franchise revenue||1,754||1,726|
|Other long-term liabilities, net of current portion||1,653||1,625|
|Long-term debt, net||6,939||10,669|
|Deferred income tax||412||327|
|Commitments and Contingencies|
|Common stock - $.01 par value; 100,000,000 shares authorized,|
|47,803,961 and 47,972,150 shares issued, respectively||478||479|
|Additional paid-in capital||344,376||344,296|
|Treasury stock, 59,886 shares at cost||(1,198||)||(1,198||)|
|Total stockholders' equity||14,389||17,852|
|Total liabilities and stockholders' equity||$||33,206||$||41,261|
|Consolidated Statements of Operations (Unaudited)|
|(dollars in thousands, except per share data)|
|Three Months Ended|
|March 28, |
|March 30, |
|Restaurant net sales||$||21,221||$||17,207|
|Franchise fees and royalties||460||701|
|Costs and expenses:|
|Cost of food and beverage||5,655||4,844|
|Restaurant labor and related benefits||8,004||7,097|
|Occupancy and other restaurant operating expenses||7,487||6,637|
|General and administrative expenses||2,290||2,617|
|Depreciation and amortization||984||580|
|Provision for losses on asset impairments|
|Closed store costs expense (income)||103||(39||)|
|Lease termination costs||180||51|
|Loss on sale of assets||197||18|
|Total costs and expenses||24,943||21,805|
|Other income (expense):|
|Debt issuance and debt discount amortization||(165||)||(165||)|
|Total other income (expense)||(195||)||(418||)|
|Net loss before income taxes||(3,457||)||(4,315||)|
|Provision for income tax expense||(85||)||-|
|Per Share Data:|
|Loss per share, basic and diluted||$||(0.08||)||$||(0.12||)|
|Weighted average common shares outstanding,|
|basic and diluted||46,713,329||37,199,402|
|Consolidated Statements of Cash Flows (Unaudited)|
|March 28, |
|March 30, |
|Cash flows from operating activities:|
|Adjustments to reconcile net loss to net cash used in|
|Depreciation and amortization||984||580|
|Amortization of debt issuance and debt discount costs||165||165|
|Loss on sale of assets||197||18|
|Deferred income tax||85||-|
|Non-cash portion of asset impairments and disposals||43||-|
|Provision for bad debts||3||76|
|Provision for lease termination reserve||180||51|
|Non-cash gain on settlement of Holdback Agreement||(124||)||-|
|Stock-based compensation expense||203||108|
|Interest expense paid in kind||-||256|
|Changes in operating assets and liabilities, net of effect of acquisitions|
|Credit card receivables||(204||)||(917||)|
|Prepaid expenses and other current assets||(27||)||250|
|Accounts payable and accrued expenses||(591||)||(1,762||)|
|Deferred franchise revenue||28||(17||)|
|Net cash used in operating activities||(2,653||)||(5,950||)|
|Cash flows from investing activities:|
|Proceeds from sale of assets||251||-|
|Net cash provided by (used in) investing activities||32||(1,225||)|
|Cash flows from financing activities:|
|Principal payments on long-term debt||(4,333||)||-|
|Return of excess restricted cash held in escrow account||5,002||-|
|Net cash provided by financing activities||669||-|
|Net decrease in cash and cash equivalents||(1,952||)||(7,175||)|
|Cash and cash equivalents, beginning of year||5,152||21,053|
|Cash and cash equivalents, end of period||$||3,200||$||13,878|
|Supplemental disclosures of cash flow information:|
|Cash paid for:|
|Corporate franchise and income taxes||$||34||$||32|
About Così, Inc.
Così (http://www.getcosi.com) is an international fast casual restaurant company. At the heart of every Cosi® restaurant is an open-flame stone-hearth oven where the Così® signature flatbread is made from scratch throughout the day. The flatbread is made from a generations-old recipe and is part of many Così® favorites. Così® was founded on the idea that good-for-you food should be delicious. Menu items are made using fresh ingredients and distinctive sauces and spreads to create edgy flavors. The menu features made-to-order sandwiches, hand-tossed salads, bowls, breakfast wraps, melts, all natural soups, signature Squagels®, artisan flatbread pizzas, S`mores, snacks and desserts. Guests can also enjoy handcrafted beverages and a variety of coffee-based and specialty beverages.
Così® employees create a welcoming environment where guests are invited to relax and enjoy great food. In many cases, Così® is the cornerstone of the communities that they are in and take pride in supporting community organizations and local charities. There are currently 75 Company-owned and 30 franchise restaurants operating in fifteen states, the District of Columbia, Costa Rica and the United Arab Emirates.
"Così," "(Sun & Moon Design)" and related marks are registered trademarks of Così, Inc. in the U.S.A. and certain other countries. Copyright © 2015 Così, Inc. All rights reserved.
"SAFE HARBOR" STATEMENT UNDER THE PRIVATE SECURITIES LITIGATION REFORM ACT OF 1995. This press release contains statements that constitute forward- looking statements under the federal securities laws. Forward-looking statements are statements about future events and expectations and not statements of historical fact. The words "believe," "may," "will," "should," "anticipate," "estimate," "expect," "intend," "objective," "seek," "plan," "strive," or similar words, or negatives of these words, identify forward- looking statements. We qualify any forward-looking statements entirely by these cautionary factors. Forward-looking statements are based on management's beliefs, assumptions and expectations of our future economic performance, taking into account the information currently available to management. Forward-looking statements involve risks and uncertainties that may cause our actual results, performance or financial condition to differ materially from the expectations of future results, performance or financial condition we express or imply in any forward-looking statements. Factors that could contribute to these differences include, but are not limited to: the results being reported in this release are unaudited and subject to change; the cost of our principal food products and supply and delivery shortages and interruptions; labor shortages or increased labor costs; changes in demographic trends and consumer tastes and preferences, including changes resulting from concerns over nutritional or safety aspects of beef, poultry, produce, or other foods or the effects of food-borne illnesses, such as E. coli, "mad cow disease" and avian influenza or "bird flu"; competition in our markets, both in our business and in locating suitable restaurant sites; our operation and execution in new and existing markets; expansion into new markets including foreign markets; our ability to attract and retain qualified franchisees and our franchisees' ability to open restaurants on a timely basis; our ability to locate suitable restaurant sites in new and existing markets and negotiate acceptable lease terms; the rate of our internal growth and our ability to generate increased revenue from our existing restaurants; our ability to generate positive cash flow from existing and new restaurants; fluctuations in our quarterly results due to seasonality; increased government regulation and our ability to secure required government approvals and permits; our ability to create customer awareness of our restaurants in new markets; the reliability of our customer and market studies; cost effective and timely planning, design and build out of restaurants; our ability to recruit, train and retain qualified corporate and restaurant personnel and management; market saturation due to new restaurant openings; inadequate protection of our intellectual property; our ability to obtain additional capital and financing; adverse weather conditions which impact customer traffic at our restaurants; and adverse economic conditions. Further information regarding factors that could affect our results and the statements made herein are included in our filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission.
Additional information is available on Così's website at
http://www.getcosi.com in the investor relations section.