SCAN Health Plan Arizona to Help Seniors Start the New Year with Free Health and Wellness Classes, Presentations and Workshops
The start of a new year is the perfect time to try a new fitness class or attend a healthy cooking demonstration. Health and wellness resolutions just got easier with free workout classes, workshops and presentations offered by SCAN Health Plan Arizona.
All presentations are free and open to SCAN members as well as the general public; however, space is limited, so pre-registration is required. They will be held at the SCAN Connections Resource Center at 1313 E. Osborn Road in Phoenix unless otherwise noted. Anyone interested in attending may call 602-778-3420 to register.
SCAN Health Plan Arizona offers eight different exercise classes for every fitness level. Each class is offered as a ten-week series that runs from early January to mid-March.
Easy Tai Chi – A form of moving energy derived from Chinese
martial arts. It consists of a series of slow, fluid movements done
softly and gently using breathing techniques for healthy biorhythms.
- Mondays, beginning Jan. 7, from 9:15-10:15 a.m. at the Sun Lakes Country Club (25630 South Brentwood Drive in Sun Lakes).
- Tuesdays, beginning Jan. 8, from 9:30-10:30 a.m. at the SCAN Connections Resource Center.
- Fridays, beginning Jan. 11, from 10-11 a.m. at the SCAN Connections Resource Center.
Intermediate Tai Chi
- Tuesdays, beginning Jan. 8, from 11 a.m. – noon at the SCAN Connections Resource Center.
Zumba Plus – A Latin-inspired dance and fitness class for those
- Novice to intermediate class on Thursdays, beginning Jan. 10, from 10:15-11:15 a.m. at the SCAN Connections Resource Center.
- Intermediate to advanced class on Thursdays, beginning Jan. 10, from 11:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. at the SCAN Connections Resource Center.
Yoga for Every Body, Mind and Soul – A gentle yoga class
specifically designed for seniors with movement disorders.
Participants will develop an overall sense of well-being, improved
mobility and confidence.
- Thursdays, beginning Jan. 10, from 12:45-1:45 p.m. and again from 2-3 p.m. at the SCAN Connections Resource Center.
Matter of Balance Workshop
Falls are one of the leading causes of injury and death for older adults. SCAN's Matter of Balance program focuses on managing concerns about falls and teaches participants to recognize that falls are controllable; how to change their environment to reduce fall risk; and how exercise can increase strength, flexibility and balance. This eight-week workshop will be held every Wednesday, beginning Jan. 9, from 1-3:30 p.m. at the SCAN Connections Resource Center.
As part of its monthly Healthy Cooking series, SCAN will host a cooking demonstration in honor of National Soup Month on Feb. 20 from 11 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. at the SCAN Connections Resource Center.
For 35 years SCAN Health Plan has been focusing on the unique needs of people with Medicare and today is the fourth-largest not-for-profit Medicare Advantage plan in the United States. SCAN Health Plan Arizona serves approximately 12,000 members in Maricopa and Pima counties. Further information is available at scanhealthplan.com.
SCAN Health Plan Arizona is a Medicare Advantage Organization with a
For SCAN Health Plan
Carol Stevenson, 818-597-8453, x-3