NBCSL Legislative Priorities Among Discussions During White House Meeting
The National Black Caucus of State Legislators (NBCSL):
The National Black Caucus of State Legislators (NBCSL) will hold a press conference to officially kick off its 36th Annual Legislative Conference, themed, “Leading a United Front – Diverse Not Divided,” in Washington, D.C. Following a private Tuesday (December 4) meeting with President Barack Obama and White House officials, NBCSL Leadership is set to release an official policy statement on the “fiscal cliff” to set the tone for its annual policy conference. Of mention, is the direct impact of deep projected spending cuts on the underserved and under-represented. This year's conference theme underscores NBCSL's commitment to the spirit of unity and collaboration, supporting President Barack Obama's plan to grow the economy and strengthen the middle class. Legislators from across the country are expected to be in attendance.
|Additionally, Maryland residents will also share a personal testimony of tragedy and triumph, and how NBCSL policy efforts helped to pass state legislation benefitting families and communities across the country.|
Wednesday, December 5, 2012 from 10:00am – 11:00am EST
|Washington Marriott Wardman Park Hotel|
|Lincoln 5 (Lower Level)|
|2660 Woodley Rd., NW.|
|Washington, D.C. 20008|
|Featured speakers include:|
|-- Representative Barbara W. Ballard (KS), NBCSL President|
|-- Representative Joe Armstrong (TN), NBCSL President-Elect|
|-- Lamont Carey, Author, Advocate and Actor, Filmmaker/Playwright|
|-- Nancy and Anthony Green, Founders, Deanna's Lyric Foundation (Maryland residents)|
MEDIA OPPORTUNITIES: Legislators are available for interview directly following the press conference.
NBCSL members and a diverse group of policy experts will caucus on following trending policy issues:
- Attacking Obesity from the Start: Supporting Children's Nutrition. Legislators will discuss how to partner with schools and communities to prevent and combat childhood obesity.
- Building Stronger, Sustainable Communities. Legislators will identify strategies to build stronger, sustainable communities. Strategies include those to transform communities, while ensuring disenfranchised residents are included in planning, execution, and positive outcomes.
- Nuclear Energy 360⁰: Secure Families and Safe Communities in the Wake of Fukushima Daiichi. Legislators will also examine how nuclear power expansion could impact the African-American community through greater contracting opportunities leading to further job creation. Legislators also to discuss disaster prevention and recovery.
- Youth Violence: A Matter of Public Health. Legislators will approach youth violence holistically and strategically by focusing on prevention and intervention at the societal rather than individual level.
- Ownership, Entrepreneurship, and Wealth Creation in the African-American Community. Legislators will examine systemic barriers impeding college and professional athletes, musicians, actors, entrepreneurs, and others from receiving ownership and rights to their work and even themselves.
- Health Information Technology: The Future is Now. Legislators will look at how Health Information technology (HIT) makes it possible for health care providers to better manage patient care through the secure use and sharing of health information. HIT also allows providers to coordinate care better, helping doctors diagnose health problems sooner, reduce medical errors, and provide safer care at lower costs.
About the National Black Caucus of State Legislators
The National Black Caucus of State Legislators (NBCSL) is a membership association representing over 600 African American state legislators from 45 states, the District of Columbia, and the U.S. Virgin Islands. NBCSL members represent more than 50 million Americans of all racial backgrounds. NBCSL tracks legislation at all levels of government and actively monitors state and federal policy initiatives to provide its members with important information. Each year, NBCSL members pass policy resolutions that directly impact federal and state policy. The organization focuses on U.S. domestic policy and is committed to policies that positively affect all Americans. Learn more at www.nbcsl.org.
GDK Associates PR
Gabrielle King, 770-389-1437
NBCSL National Office
LaKimba B. DeSadier, 202-624-5457