Twenty-Five Charities Selected to Participate in the 2012 American Giving Awards
Chase recently announced the 25 charities selected to participate in the 2012 American Giving Awards (AGAs). Today, each charity is being revealed online via Facebook and the Chase Community Giving website. The AGAs will honor these organizations for their great philanthropic work through a star-studded event hosted by Joel McHale (NBC's “Community” and “The Soup”). The AGAs will be broadcast on NBC December 8, Saturday 8/7c from the Pasadena Civic Auditorium in Pasadena, CA.
Chase will grant a total of $2 million to the five charities with the most votes in their respective categories. Fans of Chase Community Giving can vote for their favorite charity on Facebook, and Chase online customers can vote on www.chase.com/chasegiving during the voting period, which runs from November 27 – December 4. Of the five top vote-getters from each category, the charity with the most votes will receive a $1 million grant, the runner-up will be granted $500,000, a third organization will receive a $250,000 grant and two will be given $125,000 grants.
The twenty-five participating charities will represent one of five categories recognizing the “building blocks” of communities. The nominees are:
Educators & Mentors: For empowering our communities through education
- Sprout Up – Goleta, CA
- Fugees Family – Scottdale, GA
- More Than Me Foundation – Washington DC
- She's the First – New York, NY
- Worldreader – Seattle, WA
Heroes & Leaders: For outstanding community contributions to human rights and social services
- Restore NYC – New York, NY
- Team Rubicon – Inglewood, CA
- The Tiziano Project – Calabasas, CA
- Women Make Movies – New York, NY
- Youth Service America – Washington DC
Champions of Health & Wellness: For improving health and well-being in our communities
- Active Minds – Washington DC
- Timmy Global Health – Indianapolis, IN
- Gwendolyn Strong Foundation – Santa Barbara, CA
- One Heartland – Minneapolis, MN
- Surfers Healing Foundation, Inc. – San Juan Capistrano, CA
Community Builders: For excellence in serving our communities
- An Angel in Queens – Woodhaven, NY
- Architecture for Humanity – San Francisco, CA
- Half the Sky Foundation – Berkeley, CA
- Krochet Kids intl. – Costa Mesa, CA
- Samasource – San Francisco, CA
Youth Developers: For inspiring and nurturing our youth that will help build stronger communities.
- Art Feeds – Joplin, MO
- Break the Cycle – Los Angeles, CA
- GLSEN – New York, NY
- YouthBuild Philadephia Charter School – Philadelphia, PA
- Together We Rise – Chino, CA
For more information on each of the 25 selected participants, please visit www.nbc.com/americangivingawards or www.facebook.com/ChaseCommunityGiving/app. Votes can be cast on Facebook or Chase.com/ChaseGiving, if you are a Chase online customer.
Chase is the U.S. consumer and commercial banking business of JPMorgan Chase & Co. (NYSE: JPM), a leading global financial services firm with assets of $2.3 trillion and operations in more than 60 countries. Chase serves more than 50 million consumers and small businesses through more than 5,500 bank branches, 18,000 ATMs, mortgage offices, and online and mobile banking as well as through relationships with auto dealerships. More information about Chase is available at www.chase.com.
About Chase Community Giving
Chase Community Giving leverages the power of social media to decide how some of Chase's charitable dollars are allocated. This program was developed by Chase to complement its charitable giving, which totals over $150 million annually. Chase Community Giving relies on its more than 3.8 million fans on Facebook and customers to help decide which local nonprofits receive grants. Since its inception in 2009, Chase Community Giving has helped direct over $28 million to thousands of charities across the country representing causes such as building schools in Africa, providing food and shelter to the homeless, and supporting the performing arts.
Erich Timmerman 212-622-4080