Broadcom Drives Future Growth of China's Next Generation Broadband Initiative
New Cable Innovations Deliver Secure Convergence of Broadcast, Broadband and Over-the-Top (OTT) Content throughout the Home
HANGZHOU, China, Oct. 31, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- International Coverage and Transmission Conference (ICTC)
- Features consistent software platform to support OTT content delivery
- Supports China DCAS standard for advanced security across the network
- Combines latest home networking standards including 5G WiFi, MoCA 2.0 and HomePlug AV for multi-screen connected home experience
Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a global innovation leader in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications, today announced cable innovations to drive new TV and broadband experiences in China, fueling the next phase of next generation broadband (NGB). With the deployment of two-way cable networks throughout China, cable operators are now looking to deliver a more connected, Internet-based TV and broadband experience to subscribers. Demonstrating its commitment to innovating cable networks in China, Broadcom combines a consistent home software platform, key home networking standards support and Chinese security standard integration to deliver an Internet-based, connected home environment in China. Visit www.broadcom.com to learn more.
Broadcom will be hosting a press conference at this week's ICTC show in Hangzhou and will also be demonstrating its connected home cable solutions in booth #A6.
With highly integrated, scalable and cost-effective solutions, Broadcom's connected home cable platforms are tailored to meet the next phase of China's NGB initiative. Key integrated features include:
- Combined Internet & TV Delivery: Broadcom enables cable operators in China to deliver broadcast, broadband and over-the-top (OTT) content to their subscribers
- Connected Home: Broadcom supports a full range of connected home standards including 5G WiFi (based on the IEEE 802.11ac standard), MoCA and Powerline Communications (PLC) to connect devices and content throughout the home
- OTT Content Simplified: Broadcom is the only company with a consistent home software platform that delivers rich Internet experiences in the home
- Full-Band Capture (FBC) digital tuning technology: offers more flexible front-end design to support the growing need for multiple TV, video and Internet streams to multiple screens
- FBC Remote Diagnostics: reduces total cost of ownership by offering operators real-time management and upgrade capabilities to improve customer service
- Secure Content Delivery: Broadcom supports the China DCAS standard for advanced security across the network
- Key consumer benefits: Broadcom enables fast channel change (FastRTV®) and constant volume levels.
Broadcom's connected home cable platforms tailored for China are now shipping.
Zhang Changli, President of Research Institute, Wasu Digital TV Media Group:
"We are excited to leverage Broadcom's leading technology in advanced high definition video set-top box and Chinese-DOCSIS-products to be able to deliver rich content and broadband Internet access to our subscribers"
Xu, Jiahong, CEO of iPanel:
"With a long-term commitment to the field of broadcasting receivers, quality and compatibilities, we are pleased to partner with Broadcom on video set-top box products to provide operators with our technical leadership, service excellence and a full range of system solutions."
Bill Zhou, Director of Product Marketing, HMT:
"We are pleased to work with Broadcom to accelerate the next phase of China's NGB initiative- the convergence of TV, broadband and telecom services to achieve overall system cost, time to market and product differentiation."
Khin Sandi Lynn, Research Analyst, ABI Research:
"Since SARFT recently announced its plan to develop its Next Generation Broadband (NGB) cloud platform, we expect China's digital cable system will create more online video services and TV stores developed by third-party app developers. This creates a significant opportunity for leading companies like Broadcom to meet the market need for high speed broadband access and next generation TV services."
Dan Marotta, Broadcom's Executive Vice President and General Manager, Broadband Communications Group:
"With consistent software and advanced security platforms, Broadcom is setting the stage for the next evolution in NGB – an Internet-based connected home experience. By partnering with the top cable manufacturers, operators and middleware providers, we look forward to delivering a new way to experience TV and broadband in China."
Broadcom Corporation (NASDAQ: BRCM), a FORTUNE 500® company, is a global leader and innovator in semiconductor solutions for wired and wireless communications. Broadcom® products seamlessly deliver voice, video, data and multimedia connectivity in the home, office and mobile environments. With the industry's broadest portfolio of state-of-the-art system-on-a-chip and embedded software solutions, Broadcom is changing the world by Connecting everything®. For more information, go to www.broadcom.com.
Broadcom®, the pulse logo, Connecting everything® the Connecting everything logo and FastRTV® are among the trademarks of Broadcom Corporation and/or its affiliates in the United States, certain other countries and/or the EU. Any other trademarks or trade names mentioned are the property of their respective owners.
Manager, Public Relations
Director, Investor Relations
SOURCE Broadcom Corporation; BRCM Broadband