Enservio Offers Contents Claims Advice to Residents and Business Owners Affected by Hurricane Sandy
Conducting a thorough and detailed inventory of all damaged and lost items is one of the first and most important steps to take immediately following an insurance loss. Unfortunately, gathering an accurate contents inventory can be confusing and time-consuming, especially in the wake of a catastrophic storm like Hurricane Sandy.
Enservio (www.enservio.com), the nation's leading provider of software and services to property insurers, has a nationwide network of on-site inventory specialists currently being deployed to all areas affected by Hurricane Sandy. Enservio recommends homeowners and businesses who have suffered contents losses take immediate action, including the following:
For Homeowners and Businesses
- Avoid immediately discarding damaged and total loss items before a contents inventory is completed. At the minimum, take photos of all items before clean up, salvage, and demolition.
Understand your homeowners insurance policy conditions
The ‘Conditions' section of most homeowners insurance policies states
that in the case of a loss to covered property, it is the insured's
responsibility to provide the following information to qualify for
coverage of lost contents:
- Prepare an inventory of damaged personal property showing the description, actual cash value and amount of loss.
- Conducting an accurate inventory can be time-consuming and even dangerous in severely damaged or flooded structures. Ask your claims adjuster and/or insurance carrier if contents inventory specialists are available to assist you.
- Include all bills, receipts and other reliable documents that justify the figures in the inventory. This may be impossible in total loss situations. Contents inventory specialists can provide expert advice and assistance in these cases.
Even if you don't have flood insurance, you still can recoup some of your loss
- Lack of flood insurance does not mean you're entirely out in the cold – an accurate inventory and valuation of your home's lost and damaged contents can be used to file for a deduction on your federal income tax.
Enservio is the market leader in property insurance affinity solutions, strategic analytics, and contents software, inventory, valuation, replacement and replacement tools. Enservio created the first SaaS (software as a service) software platform for contents, the first replacement mall, the first payment debit card for claims and the first ContentsITV product. We provide software and services to property insurance carriers and their policy holders nationwide. Founded in 2004, we are headquartered near Boston, in Needham, MA with offices and professional staff across the United States. For additional information, please visit the company's web site www.enservio.com or call 888.567.7557
Tom Francoeur, 617-747-1405