Capstead Mortgage Corporation Announces $100 Million Common Share Repurchase Program
Capstead Mortgage Corporation (NYSE: CMO) (“Capstead” or the “Company”) today announced that its Board of Directors has authorized the repurchase of up to $100 million of its outstanding common shares. In connection with implementing this repurchase program, the Company has suspended its at-the-market, continuous offering program used to issue common shares.
Purchases made pursuant to the program will be made in the open market from time to time as permitted by securities laws and other legal requirements. The timing, manner, price and amount of any repurchases will be determined by the Company in its discretion and will be subject to economic and market conditions, stock price, applicable legal requirements and other factors. The authorization does not obligate the Company to acquire any particular amount of common shares and the program may be suspended or discontinued at the Company's discretion without prior notice. The Board of Directors will assess the effects of this program periodically.
Capstead Mortgage Corporation, formed in 1985 and based in Dallas, Texas, is a self-managed real estate investment trust for federal income tax purposes. Capstead earns income from investing in a leveraged portfolio of residential mortgage pass-through securities consisting of adjustable-rate mortgage (“ARM”) securities issued and guaranteed by government-sponsored enterprises, either Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac, or by an agency of the federal government, Ginnie Mae.
Cautionary Statement Concerning Forward-looking Statements
This document contains “forward-looking statements” within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Forward-looking statements include, without limitation, any statement that may predict, forecast, indicate or imply future results, performance or achievements, and may contain the words “believe,” “anticipate,” “expect,” “estimate,” “intend,” “will be,” “will likely continue,” “will likely result,” or words or phrases of similar meaning. Forward-looking statements are based largely on the expectations of management and are subject to a number of risks and uncertainties including, but not limited to, the following:
- changes in general economic conditions;
- fluctuations in interest rates and levels of mortgage prepayments;
- the effectiveness of risk management strategies;
- the impact of differing levels of leverage employed;
- liquidity of secondary markets and credit markets;
- the availability of financing at reasonable levels and terms to support investing on a leveraged basis;
- the availability of new investment capital;
- the availability of suitable qualifying investments from both an investment return and regulatory perspective;
- changes in legislation or regulation affecting Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac and similar federal government agencies and related guarantees;
- deterioration in credit quality and ratings of existing or future issuances of Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac or Ginnie Mae securities;
- changes in legislation or regulation affecting exemptions for mortgage REITs from regulation under the Investment Company Act of 1940; and
- increases in costs and other general competitive factors.
In addition to the above considerations, actual results and liquidity are affected by other risks and uncertainties which could cause actual results to be significantly different from those expressed or implied by any forward-looking statements included herein. It is not possible to identify all of the risks, uncertainties and other factors that may affect future results. In light of these risks and uncertainties, the forward-looking events and circumstances discussed herein may not occur and actual results could differ materially from those anticipated or implied in the forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements speak only as of the date the statement is made and the Company undertakes no obligation to update or revise any forward-looking statements, whether as a result of new information, future events or otherwise. Accordingly, readers of this document are cautioned not to place undue reliance on any forward-looking statements included herein.
Capstead Mortgage Corporation
Kelly Sargent, 214-874-2339