GEICO Gecko Midweek Matinee series for students begins November 1 at Publick Playhouse for the Performing Arts in Prince George's County
The curtain goes up on Thursday, Nov. 1 at the Publick Playhouse when the new season of professional children's musical theatre productions begins in Cheverly, Md. The six-play series of Midweek Matinees is sponsored by the GEICO Gecko through a grant to the Prince George's County Boys and Girls Club.
The GEICO Gecko returns again this year to visit with students at each midweek performance at the Publick Playhouse, located at 5445 Landover Road in Cheverly. The Publick Playhouse is a facility of The Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission's Department of Parks and Recreation in Prince George's County.
First up on November 1 in the series of plays by professional touring companies is “Guess Who Signed the Constitution?” Giant puppets in 1810 Philadelphia introduce a 10-year-old boy to the nation's founders and why voting is such an important part of American life.
Other productions in the series for students are:
- “Our Appalachian Christmas” – how a rural mountain town in 1936 has slim hopes for Santa's appearance – December 11
- “Freedom Train” – Harriet Tubman's escape from slavery and the start of the Underground Railroad – January 10
- “Bella Under the Bullying Big Top” – a new monkey in the circus learns the lesson that friendship is better than bullying – February 26 & 27
- “The Civil War” – meet some of the young soldiers during this defining time in U.S. history – April 18
- “Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Bad Day” – a musical that shows how bad days can be downright funny – May 10
Some 5,000 students at Title 1 schools are expected to attend the GEICO Gecko Midweek Matinees series at the Publick Playhouse. Schools will also receive study guides for the productions.
For more information, contact the Publick Playhouse at 301-277-1710 or visit arts.pgparks.com.
GEICO (Government Employees Insurance Company) is a member of the Berkshire Hathaway family of companies and is the third-largest private passenger auto insurer in the United States. GEICO handles auto insurance coverage for over 11 million private passenger auto policies and insures more than 18 million vehicles (auto & cycle).