Infonetics Research: IP Edge Routers Helping Carriers Overcome Triple Challenge of Video, Mobility, Cloud
A new white paper published by market research firm Infonetics Research examines how the latest advances in edge routing technology are helping carriers meet the demands of growing video traffic, surging mobile backhaul traffic, and cloud services at the IP edge.
The 18-page white paper, Routers on the IP Edge: Overcoming the Triple Challenge of Video, Mobility, and Cloud, which can be downloaded at http://bit.ly/QINEYf, explores the challenges of the IP edge, examines the threats to service provider business models, and presents case studies of four carriers that have made the transition to a more distributed, modern converged IP edge architecture that utilizes advanced IP edge routers.
“The Internet changed everything forever, and it certainly changed service provider networks,” notes Michael Howard, Infonetics Research's co-founder, principal analyst for carrier networks, and author of the white paper. “The great migration from TDM to IP has been in motion for over a decade, and just as carriers are nearing completion of their IP packet networks, they're faced with new challenges from video, mobility, and the cloud that have the ability to overwhelm these networks.”
Howard continues, “Fortunately, a new IP edge is emerging where multiple IP networks are consolidated into just a few -- or preferably one -- capable of addressing the scalability and performance requirements of today's services, enabling operators to turn the triple challenge of video, mobility, and cloud into opportunities.”
ROUTERS ON THE IP EDGE WHITE PAPER HIGHLIGHTS
- The current IP edge comprises separate overlay networks for multiple services and is not up to the task of providing the capacity and service granularity today's video and data services require
- The ‘new IP edge' is a consolidated multiservice delivery point for IP video, mobile, and cloud services
- A number of service providers, including British Telecom, TELUS, Portugal Telecom, and Belgacom are using the latest functions of IP edge routers to re-architect their networks, add new capabilities, and innovate new services
- Video is the biggest threat to service provider networks today, specifically:
Sample topics in Infonetics' Routers on the IP Edge whitepaper include: New Video Demands Threaten Business Models; IP Edge: Today's Needs; Routers at the IP Edge Solve the Triple Challenge of Video, Mobility, and Cloud; What to Look for in an IP Edge Router; and Four Service Providers Leading the Way to Meet Challenges. Download the free whitepaper at http://bit.ly/QINEYf.
- Latest Infonetics Carrier Routing, Switching, Ethernet research brief: http://bit.ly/RZiLOi
- China props up IP router/switch market in Q2; Huawei takes #2 spot in routers
- Routing strategies survey shows 50% of operators to deploy caching, CDNs
- Ethernet, IP MPLS VPN services to top $81B by 2016
- Infonetics carrier survey exposes the hope and hype of SDNs
- Cisco, Alcatel-Lucent, Juniper gain carrier IP Edge router/switch share in Q1; NA up 27%
- Ethernet access device (EAD) market to grow 81% from 2012 to 2016
- $186 billion to be spent on carrier Ethernet equipment over next 5 years
Download CARRIER ROUTING, SWITCHING, AND ETHERNET report highlights, tables of contents, and prospectuses at http://www.infonetics.com/login or Infonetics' 2012 Research Calendar at http://bit.ly/zwjcRs.
- View Infonetics' new 2013 Market Research Lineup
- Ethernet Access Devices (EADs) Market Share and Forecasts
- Small Cell Coverage Strategies: Global Service Provider Survey
- Enterprise Communications Equipment Vendor Leadership Scorecard
- Telecommunications Equipment Vendor Leadership Scorecard
- 3Q12 service Provider Routers and Switches Market Share and Forecast
- Small Cell and LTE Backhaul Strategies: Global Service Provider Survey
TO INQUIRE ABOUT WHITE PAPERS AND CUSTOM RESEARCH, CONTACT SALES:
N. America (West), Asia, Latin America: Larry Howard, firstname.lastname@example.org, +1 408-583-3335
N. America (East), Texas, Midwest: Scott Coyne, email@example.com, +1 408-583-3395
Europe, Middle East, Africa: George Stojsavljevic, firstname.lastname@example.org, +44 755-488-1623
Japan, South Korea, China, Taiwan: http://www.infonetics.com/contact.asp
ABOUT INFONETICS RESEARCH
Infonetics Research (www.infonetics.com) is an international market research and consulting firm serving the communications industry since 1990. A leader in defining and tracking emerging and established technologies in all world regions, Infonetics helps clients plan, strategize, and compete effectively. View Infonetics' brief About Us slides at http://bit.ly/QUrbrV.
Photos/Multimedia Gallery Available: http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/mmg.cgi?eid=50455819&lang=en