Walmart Rolls out the Red Carpet for The Amazing Spider-Man™ Fans Nationwide
Walmart Rolls out the Red Carpet for The Amazing Spider-Man™ Fans Nationwide
Exclusive, Never-Before-Seen Footage, Augmented Reality App and Collector's Comic Book Set Available Only at Walmart
BENTONVILLE, Ark., June 7, 2012
BENTONVILLE, Ark., June 7, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Attention, Spider-Man™ fans! Weeks before the release of the highly anticipated summer movie The Amazing Spider-Man, in theaters July 3, Walmart, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment and Marvel Entertainment have teamed up for an unprecedented partnership to offer customers the ultimate Spider-Man experience at Walmart stores nationwide.
Throughout the month of June, movie fans will be able to experience, purchase and access the following exclusive offerings at Walmart:
- World Premiere of Never-Before-Seen Footage from The Amazing Spider-Man: Walmart will unveil a never–before-seen movie scene on its in-store broadcast network at 12:01 a.m., 10:00 a.m., 3:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. local time on June 15 and June 16.
- The Amazing Spider-Man Comic Book with Exclusive Sneak Peek Combo Pack: Available on June 15 for only $2.96, the combo pack includes a collectible reproduction of "The Amazing Spider-Man #6" comic book that features the first appearance of The Lizard, behind the scenes footage from The Amazing Spider-Man, a never-before-seen scene from the film, a first look at the Activision Spider-Man video game and a bonus augmented reality (AR) activation when using our "Web-slinger" app.
- Customized Spider-Man Trucks: The Amazing Spider-Man Secrets Unmasked Tour will visit approximately 1,000 Walmart stores. At each location, customers will receive an advanced demo of The Amazing Spider-Man video game and Spider-Man Bonkazonks from Hasbro. The tour will also include: Sony PS3 gaming consoles, HP photo centers, Kellogg's tasting center, Straight Talk Wireless demos and a climbing wall, at select locations. The tour schedule can be found at: www.walmart.com/Spider-Man.
- Exclusive "Web-Slinger" Augmented Reality App: The "Web-Slinger" AR mobile app – available at the iTunes App Store or Android Market starting June 15 – enables customers to take photos with a life-size Spider-Man and unlock levels and weapons at multiple locations within the store starting June 26. Unlock locations include Kellogg's Cheez-It & Pop-Tarts displays in grocery, the Straight Talk Wireless section in electronics, signage in toys and boys apparel. Fans can also engage in the AR experience during the "Secrets Unmasked Tour," where Spider-Man and The Lizard come to life on the top of the truck.
"We're always looking for ways to bring innovative technology, exclusive content and interactive events to our customers," said Seong Ohm, senior vice president and general merchandise manager for entertainment, Walmart U.S. "Movie fans can rest assured that Walmart will have the broadest assortment of the Super Hero products they want – from special-edition movie releases to toys, food and apparel – all at an amazing low price."
"We're thrilled to partner with the world's biggest retailer to promote this much-anticipated film. We couldn't be more excited to be working with Walmart and Marvel on this groundbreaking and innovative promotional campaign," said Lexine Wong, Senior Executive Vice President, Worldwide Marketing, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment. "With the scope of Walmart's North American distribution network, Sony Pictures is assured of having the broadest consumer reach on Blu-ray and in the digital arena."
Available now in Walmart stores across the U.S., customers can purchase more than 1,000 The Amazing Spider-Man licensed products from action figures and t-shirts to video games and home decor. A few items include, The Amazing Spider-Man:
- Electronic Action Figure (Marvel/Hasbro) – $15.97
- Hero FX Mask (Marvel/Hasbro) – $19.97
- Hero FX Glove (Marvel/Hasbro) – $14.96
- Boys and Young Men's tees: $6.97 - $7.50
- Twin Sheet Set and Twin/Full Comforter: $15.88 - $26.88
"Our goal is to always enhance the moviegoers' experience and provide unique and innovative ways to interact with our Super Heroes," said Mark Rhodes, senior vice president of North American retail development at Marvel Entertainment. "This multifaceted program with Walmart in support of The Amazing Spider-Man does just that by offering fans an array of merchandise, interactive in-store elements and exclusive, never-before-seen content."
Walmart will also sell the new Blu-ray with UltraViolet™ editions of Spider-Man, Spider-Man 2, and Spider-Man 3. The Spider-Man Blu-ray includes two never-before-seen bonus features "Spider Sense Over Movie Trivia Game" and "The Spider-Man Cutting Room." The Spider-Man 2 Blu-ray™ includes both the previously released theatrical and extended version of the film, with additional footage and fight sequences not seen in theaters. Each edition includes new collectible packaging.
For more information on The Amazing Spider-Man Secrets Unmasked Tour and Comic Book with Sneak Peek, visit www.walmart.com/spider-man or visit the iTunes App Store or Android Market to download the "Web-Slinger" App.
Wal-Mart Stores, Inc. (NYSE: WMT) serves customers and members more than 200 million times per week at over 10,000 retail units under 69 different banners in 27 countries. With fiscal year 2012 sales of approximately $444 billion, Walmart employs more than 2 million associates worldwide. Walmart continues to be a leader in sustainability, corporate philanthropy and employment opportunity. Additional information about Walmart can be found by visiting http://walmartstores.com, and on Facebook at http://facebook.com/walmart and on Twitter at http://twitter.com/walmart. Online merchandise sales are available at http://www.walmart.com and http://www.samsclub.com.
About Sony Pictures Home Entertainment
Sony Pictures Entertainment (SPE) is a subsidiary of Sony Corporation of America, a subsidiary of Tokyo-based Sony Corporation. SPE's global operations encompass motion picture production and distribution; television production and distribution; home entertainment acquisition and distribution; a global channel network; digital content creation and distribution; operation of studio facilities; development of new entertainment products, services and technologies; and distribution of entertainment in more than 159 countries. For additional information, go to http://www.sonypictures.com/
About Marvel Entertainment, LLC
Marvel Entertainment, LLC, a wholly-owned subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company, is one of the world's most prominent character-based entertainment companies, built on a proven library of over 8,000 characters featured in a variety of media over seventy years. Marvel utilizes its character franchises in entertainment, licensing and publishing. For more information visit www.marvel.com.
About The Amazing Spider-Man
One of the world's most popular characters is back on the big screen as a new chapter in the Spider-Man legacy is revealed in The Amazing Spider-Man™. Focusing on an untold story that tells a different side of the Peter Parker story, the new film stars Andrew Garfield, Emma Stone, Rhys Ifans, Denis Leary, Campbell Scott, Irrfan Khan, with Martin Sheen and Sally Field. The film is directed by Marc Webb from a screenplay written by James Vanderbilt and Alvin Sargent and Steve Kloves from a story by James Vanderbilt, based on the Marvel Comic Book by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko. Laura Ziskin, Avi Arad, and Matt Tolmach are producing the film in association with Marvel Entertainment for Columbia Pictures, which will open in theaters everywhere in 3D on July 3, 2012. The Amazing Spider-Man is the story of Peter Parker (Garfield), an outcast high schooler who was abandoned by his parents as a boy, leaving him to be raised by his Uncle Ben (Sheen) and Aunt May (Field). Like most teenagers, Peter is trying to figure out who he is and how he got to be the person he is today. Peter is also finding his way with his first high school crush, Gwen Stacy (Stone), and together, they struggle with love, commitment, and secrets. As Peter discovers a mysterious briefcase that belonged to his father, he begins a quest to understand his parents' disappearance – leading him directly to OsCorp and the lab of Dr. Curt Connors (Ifans), his father's former partner. As Spider-Man is set on a collision course with Connors' alter-ego, The Lizard, Peter will make life-altering choices to use his powers and shape his destiny to become a hero.
*Marvel, and the names and distinctive likenesses of Spider-Man and all other Marvel characters: TM and © 2012 Marvel Entertainment, LLC & its subsidiaries. All Rights Reserved. Super Heroes is a co-owned registered trademark.