Lisa Marie and Priscilla Presley to Celebrate 75th Anniversary of Elvis’ Birthday at Graceland
Elvis Presley’s 75th Birthday Celebration, on January 7-10, promises to be the largest ever, with thousands of fans traveling to Memphis from around the world to join Lisa Marie and Priscilla Presley in celebrating this landmark year.
A variety of birthday week events will help kick-off the year-long 75th birthday celebration, with additional events occurring throughout 2010 that will celebrate the life and legacy of Elvis Presley, the undisputed King of Rock ‘n’ Roll. Below is a calendar of events scheduled for Graceland celebrating Elvis’ birthday on January 8th followed by highlights of key events scheduled for throughout 2010. For full additional information on these and other events, please visit www.elvis.com.
THURSDAY, JANUARY 7
6:00 pm - 9:00 pm CT - Official Elvis Insiders Fan Club Reception & Graceland Tour
An event exclusively for members of the Elvis Insiders fan club. Special guests include Annie Helm, Gavin Koon and Robin Koon, who co-starred with Elvis in Follow That Dream, and Terry Blackwood and Joe Moscheo of Elvis' Imperials. Special Elvis exhibits from the Graceland Archives will be on display inside the mansion just for the Elvis Birthday Celebration.
FRIDAY, JANUARY 8
9:30 am CT - Elvis Presley Day Ceremony
A special ceremony on the North Lawn of Graceland, featuring Lisa Marie and Priscilla Presley, Elvis Presley Enterprises officials, a birthday cake-cutting and a proclamation of Elvis Presley Day by Memphis and Shelby County officials. Free admission.
7:00 pm CT - NBA’s Memphis Grizzlies Tribute to Elvis
|The NBA salutes the life and legacy of Elvis Presley when the Memphis Grizzlies host the Utah Jazz at 7:00 p.m. at FedExForum. The Memphis Grizzlies will defend their home court while honoring Elvis as they wear their “blue suede shoes” in an arena filled with the sounds of Elvis music, original Elvis performance clips and live entertainment.|
SATURDAY, JANUARY 9
8:00 pm CT - Memphis Symphony Orchestra Elvis Birthday Pops
|The Cannon Center for the Performing Arts, 255 North Main Street in downtown Memphis. Elvis returns to the Cannon Center to celebrate his landmark 75th birthday in style with Terry Mike Jeffery and special guests James Burton and Glen D. Hardin of the TCB Band, which toured with Elvis and played during many of his Las Vegas engagements.|
9:00 pm CT - Elvis Presley’s 75th Birthday Bash on Beale Street
|Join Elvis fans from around the world as they celebrate Elvis' birthday on Beale Street, the birthplace of the blues and where Elvis first soaked up the signature Memphis sound. Entertainment venues along Beale Street will include Elvis-themed entertainment, drink specials and more.|
SUNDAY, JANUARY 10
8:00 am CT - Southern Gospel Celebration with Elvis' Imperials
|Enjoy classic gospel songs performed by Elvis’ Imperials, the group that backed Elvis on vocals in concert and in studio recording sessions, as they entertain fans at Graceland Plaza.|
FOR B-ROLL OF THE BIRTHDAY, PLEASE VISIT:
|User IP address: 22.214.171.124|
|Folder: Elvis Presley 75th Birthday|
|Port number: 20|
Some of the highlights for Elvis’ 75th Anniversary Birthday Year include:
- Viva ELVIS™ by Cirque du Soleil®, in partnership with Elvis Presley Enterprises and CKX, Inc., is a harmonious fusion of dance, acrobatics and live music, and a tribute to the life and music of Elvis Presley. Nostalgia, modernity and raw emotion provide the backdrop for his immortal voice and the exhilaration and beauty of his music.
Created in the image of The King of Rock ‘n’ Roll – powerful, sexy, whimsical, truly unique and larger than life – the show highlights an American icon who transformed popular music and whose image embodies the freedom, excitement and turbulence of his era.
Significant moments in his life – intimate, playful and grandiose – blend with the timeless songs that remain as relevant today as when they first hit the top of the charts. Viva ELVIS focuses on the essential humanity of the one superstar whose name will forever be linked with the history of Las Vegas and the entire world of entertainment: Elvis Presley.
Viva ELVIS will be presented exclusively in a custom-built theatre at ARIA Resort & Casino at CityCenter, Las Vegas. Ticket and show schedule information available at www.cirquedusoleil.com/vivaelvis or by phone at 877-253-5847 or 702-531-2031.
- On January 8, 2010, Elvis’ birthday, a special exhibit will open at Graceland in Memphis that will chronicle Elvis’ life. Starting with his birth in 1935, it follows through high school graduation and his last few days before stepping into the spotlight and becoming an international singing sensation. The exhibit, titled “From Tupelo to Memphis,” gives fans a glimpse at rarely seen artifacts, such as photos of Elvis from his childhood, report cards and one of Elvis’ first pay stubs from his days as a delivery truck driver before making his first recording at Sun Studio on July 5, 1954.
Also opening on Elvis’ birthday is a special exhibit featuring Elvis’ iconic stage costumes from 1969-1977. This charts the evolution of the design of Elvis' stage-wear, popularized during his Las Vegas engagements and concert tours. Inspired by Elvis' great interest in karate, simple wool gabardine suits were engineered with tunic-style tops and long, karate-style belts knotted to one side with the ends dangling from the hip. More than 20 of these costumes, now considered works of art, will be on display in this special exhibit that is included in the VIP Tour at Graceland.
- Elvis.com introduces the 75 Years of Elvis Timeline at www.elvis.com/timeline, which allows fans to walk-thru Elvis’ greatest accomplishments in both his personal life and his career – spanning from January 8, 1935 to January 8, 2010. The timeline spotlights 75 milestone moments in Elvis’ life through photos, video, editorial and more. The timeline also invites fans to vote for their favorite milestone moment in Elvis’ career. Voters will also have the option to share their favorite Elvis milestone moment by posting it to their Facebook wall from the Elvis.com timeline voting page.
- No matter where they are in the world, fans can be part of the 75th Anniversary of Elvis’ Birthday at Graceland this year. On January 8th, Elvis.com will stream the annual Elvis Presley Birthday Proclamation Ceremony live as it happens at Graceland in Memphis. Elvis’ 400,000 plus Facebook friends can share their comments when they join a live chat during the ceremony via the video streaming page on www.elvis.com.
- In early 2010, a new "Elvis Yourself" Facebook application will launch via Elvis’ official Facebook fan page. The new application will allow Elvis fans and Facebook users to combine their photos with fun Elvis-themed imagery to create a unique profile picture for their Facebook page.
- Twitter users can commemorate Elvis Presley's 75th birthday and join in the anniversary celebration by adding the ELVIS 75 Twibbon to their Twitter avatar. Visit http://twibbon.com/join/Elvis-75th-Anniversary to customize your avatar with the Elvis 75th Anniversary Twibbon. Twitter users will also want to be sure and follow the official Elvis Twitter page @GracelandNews and use the hash tag #Elvis75 on tweets relating to the 75th Birthday celebration.
- The free Elvis Mobile iPhone app, available to iPhone and iPod Touch users via the iTunes App Store, will give users a front row seat to all of the excitement surrounding the 75th anniversary celebration of Elvis’ birthday. Elvis Mobile puts Elvis at your fingertips with this easy-to-use and interactive application and allows users to view newly released pictures and videos, listen to podcasts from Elvis Radio, provide Graceland Livecam access, and even report Elvis sightings around the world. Content on Elvis Mobile will be maintained by Elvis Presley Enterprises and will be updated daily during the year long 75th birthday celebration.
- SIRIUS XM's Elvis Radio, the world's only "All Elvis, All the Time" radio channel, kicked off its celebration of Elvis’ birthday by hosting "The Elvis 75 Sweepstakes." The sweepstakes features two Grand Prizes: a VIP trip to Graceland for Elvis' 75th Birthday Celebration and a trip to Opening Night of Viva ELVIS by Cirque du Soleil at Aria Resort & Casino in Las Vegas.
Elvis Radio, SIRIUS channel13 and XM channel 18, also celebrates the King of Rock ‘n’ Roll’s birthday on January 8 when it presents the world premiere of the latest Follow That Dream live concert CD release, New Haven 1976; a special birthday edition of the Elvis Quiz Show; “George Klein’s Live Radio Elvis Birthday Party”; and “Elvis Birthday Memories” from his friends and his fans. Elvis Radio will also provide comprehensive coverage of the 75th Birthday celebration events including the Elvis Birthday Pops Concert with Terry Mike Jeffrey, James Burton, Glen D. Hardin and the Memphis Symphony Orchestra.
- On Friday, Jan. 8, Turner Classic Movies (TCM) celebrates the 75th anniversary of the birth of Elvis Presley, whose combination of rock ‘n’ roll grooves and country licks put him in a category all his own. This all-day marathon of classic Elvis Presley movies which features Guest Programmer appearances by Priscilla Presley and Elvis’ best friend Jerry Schilling starts at 6 a.m. ET and includes Kissin’ Cousins (1965), Roustabout (1965), Girl Happy (1965), Blue Hawaii (1961), Viva Las Vegas (1964) and Jailhouse Rock (1957). Also included are electrifying concert performances in Elvis on Tour (1972) and Elvis: That’s the Way It Is – Special Edition (2001). In addition to this exciting movie marathon, TCM.com will also feature an online sweepstakes (January 4-31) in partnership with Elvis Presley Enterprises and Sony Music. Prizes include a trip for two to Graceland and the 4-CD deluxe box set “Elvis 75: Good Rockin’ Tonight”.
Priscilla Presley and Jerry Schilling will appear as TCM Guest Programmers during the January 8th Elvis movie marathon. In addition to this exciting movie marathon, TCM.com will also feature an online sweepstakes (January 4-31) in partnership with Elvis Presley Enterprises and Sony Music. Prizes include a trip for two to Graceland and the 4-CD deluxe box “Elvis 75: Good Rockin’ Tonight”.
- Elvis at 21: Photographs by Alfred Wertheimer, a new Smithsonian traveling exhibition, will debut at The GRAMMY Museum® at L.A. Live in Los Angeles on Jan. 8, 2010, Elvis' 75th birthday. In 1956, photojournalist Alfred Wertheimer was hired by RCA Victor to shoot promotional images of a recently signed 21-year-old recording artist (Presley), and his instincts to "tag along" with the artist after the assignment resulted in 56 striking images that provide an intimate look at Elvis before he exploded onto the scene and became one of the most exciting performers of all time. The exhibit will run through March 28, 2010.
- Rock 'n' Roll favorites come alive in Elvis: The Complete Masters Collection from The Franklin Mint. This brand new collection features all 711 Elvis recordings released during his lifetime. Each song has been digitally re-mastered for optimal quality and arranged into 36 unique volumes. You’ll get everything from Elvis’ first record "That’s All Right," to his first #1 hit, "Heartbreak Hotel," his biggest hit, "Don’t Be Cruel," and even the last Elvis recording before he went off to serve his country in the Army, "I Got Stung." It’s all here in the Complete Masters Collection. Visit www.FranklinMintElvis.com for additional details on this complete collection of every recording ever released by the King of Rock ‘n’ Roll, Elvis Presley.
- From RCA / Legacy Recordings, ELVIS 75: GOOD ROCKIN’ TONIGHT is the first definitive 4-CD overview of the King of Rock ‘n’ Roll’s recording career and commemorates Elvis' 75th Birthday. Now in stores, ELVIS 75: GOOD ROCKIN’ TONIGHT presents 100 digitally restored songs, a broad collection of hit singles, deep album tracks, live performances, and rarities. The tracks appear in strict chronological order of recording dates over the course of the 4-CD set. On January 5, 2010, RCA/Legacy will release a 26-track single CD titled ELVIS 75, featuring selections from the box set.
- The Ultimate Elvis Tribute Artist Tour will begin a multi-city U.S. tour in January. The production includes four Ultimate Elvis Tribute Artist finalists and covers four aspects of Elvis’ career including the 1950s, the movie years, the 1960s and the concert years.
- Elvis Presley In Concert, an astounding production that reunites former Elvis band mates live on stage with a state-of-the-art video-projected Elvis, is back by popular demand during this year-long celebration of Elvis Presley’s lasting legacy.
In February and March of 2010, Elvis returns for a tour through Europe as this exciting concert experience travels to Ireland, France, Germany, Switzerland, Holland and England.
- On March 1st of 2010, a new exhibit titled “Elvis Presley Fashion King” at Graceland in Memphis will allow visitors to open the door to Elvis Presley’s personal closet by exploring fashion trends set by the King of Rock ‘n’ Roll with his unique style and custom-made clothing. See the evolution of Elvis’ outfits, from an artist’s sketch to the final product, and how these custom creations were made. This unique exhibit, located at Graceland Crossing, will showcase everything from Elvis’ handmade shirts and suits to his iconic stage wear and flashy jewelry.
- Opening March 12, 2010, at The Newseum in Washington D.C., experience the power of Elvis Presley and the explosive impact he had on music and popular culture in a new exhibit featuring stage costumes and other professional and personal mementos from the Graceland Archives. The exhibit tells the story of Elvis as he was portrayed in the news media and explores how his music and physicality pushed the boundaries of mainstream taste and free expression during a time when America was experiencing deep generational shifts. Produced in collaboration with Elvis Presley Enterprises, the exhibit includes some rare objects from the Graceland vaults that have never before been publicly displayed. See private telegrams, letters and scrapbooks that chronicle Elvis’ rise as a music and media sensation, as well as his death and his enduring legacy.
- Elvis Week 2010 will be celebrated August 10 – 16 at Graceland in Memphis. Each August, Elvis fans of all ages from around the world gather in Memphis for Elvis Week – a commemoration of the music, magic and memories associated with the legacy of Elvis Presley. Long-time fans and those who are new to it enjoy a full week of music, dance, sports, social and charitable events – all in an atmosphere of international friendship and camaraderie.
- Elvis fans will get “All Shook Up” as they celebrate 75 years of Elvis on the high seas during The 2010 Elvis Cruise, which sets sail November 4 - 8, 2010, from Jacksonville, Florida, to Nassau, Bahamas, aboard Carnival’s Fascination Fun Ship. Learn more at www.theelviscruise.com.
- Graceland decks the halls inside and out with Elvis’ traditional Christmas decorations as the King of Rock ‘n’ Roll’s famous Memphis mansion comes to life in all of it’s Holiday splendor for special seasonal tours. A lighting ceremony is planned for the November 19, 2010 at 6PM CT to officially flip the switch on the lights that cover the 13.8 acre estate.
- The year-long 75th anniversary celebration of Elvis’ birthday will also see the roll out of a variety of new officially licensed merchandise. Mattel celebrates this milestone in music with the Elvis Presley Jailhouse Rock Doll from the Barbie Pink Label Collection. In addition, The Bradford Exchange celebrates with a bronze Elvis figurine and Zippo heats things up with a series of collectible Elvis 75 lighters. Visit www.shopelvis.com, the official online retailer of Elvis merchandise and memorabilia, to check out the latest in officially licensed Elvis merchandise.
About Elvis Presley Enterprises
Elvis Presley Enterprises, Inc. is based in Memphis, with additional offices in Los Angeles. In addition to Graceland and its related attractions in Memphis, including the Heartbreak Hotel, EPE is aggressively involved in a worldwide licensing program, merchandising, music publishing, and television, film, video and Internet projects. For more information on EPE and Graceland, visit www.elvis.com. EPE is a subsidiary of CKX, Inc. (www.ckx.com), a publicly traded company listed on the NASDAQ Global Market® under the ticker symbol CKXE.
Photos/Multimedia Gallery Available: http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/mmg.cgi?eid=6117815&lang=en.