CEOWORLD Top 5 high-beta stocks from the S&P 500 Index- ADSK, AKS, DOW, GCI and FITB
1) Autodesk Inc. (Nasdaq:ADSK) Beta- 2.06, Market Cap (Billions)- 10.38B- Autodesk, Inc. (Autodesk) is a design software and services company. The Company serves customers in the architecture, engineering and construction, manufacturing, and digital media and entertainment industries. The Company operates in four segments: Platform Solutions and Emerging Business (PSEB), Architecture, Engineering and Construction (AEC), Manufacturing (MFG) and Media and Entertainment (M&E).The principal software products of these segments include general design software, including AutoCAD and AutoCAD LT (horizontal design products), discipline-specific design software, including AutoCAD-based products (vertical design products), model-based design software, including Autodesk Inventor products, Autodesk Revit products, AutoCAD Civil 3D, and Autodesk Moldflow. In January 2009, the Company completed the acquisition of ALGOR, Inc., a provider of analysis and simulation software. In November 2009, it acquired PlanPlatform Ltd.
2) AK Steel Holding Corp. (NYSE:AKS) Beta- 2.73, Market Cap (Billions)- 1.76B- AK Steel Holding Corporation (AK Holding) is a producer of flat-rolled carbon, stainless and electrical steels, and tubular products through its wholly owned subsidiary, AK Steel Corporation (AK Steel). The Company's operations consist of seven steelmaking and finishing plants located in Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio and Pennsylvania that produce flat-rolled carbon steels, including coated, cold-rolled and hot-rolled products, and specialty stainless and electrical steels that are sold in hot band, and sheet and strip form.
3) The Dow Chemical Company (NYSE:DOW) Beta- 2.45, Market Cap (Billions)- 45.96B- The Dow Chemical Company (Dow) is engaged in the manufacture and sale of chemicals, plastic materials, agricultural and services, and other specialized products and services. It delivers a range of products and services to customers in approximately 160 countries to growth sectors such as electronics, water, energy, coatings and agriculture. The Company operated 214 manufacturing sites in 37 countries. Dow operates in eight business segments: Electronic and Specialty materials, Coatings and Infrastructure, Health and Agricultural sciences, Performance systems, Performance products, Basic plastics, Basic chemicals, and Hydrocarbons and Energy.
4) Gannett Co. (NYSE:GCI) Beta- 2.63, Market Cap (Billions)- 3.63B- Gannett Co., Inc. (Gannett) is an international media and marketing solutions company. The Company publishes 83 daily United States newspapers, including USA TODAY, the daily print newspaper, and more than 650 magazines and other non-dailies, including USA WEEKEND. The Company also operates 23 TV stations in 19 the United States markets and Captivate, which operates video screens in office elevators in urban markets.
5) Fifth Third Bancorp. (Nasdaq:FITB) Beta- 2.44, Market Cap (Billions)- 11.86B- Fifth Third Bancorp (the Bancorp) is a diversified financial services company. The Bancorp operates in four business segments: Commercial Banking, Branch Banking, Consumer Lending and Investment Advisors. At December 31, 2009, the Bancorp had $113 billion in assets, operated 16 affiliates with 1,309 full-service Banking Centers, including 103 Bank Mart locations open seven days a week inside select grocery stores and 2,358 Jeanie automated teller machines (ATMs) in the Midwestern and South-eastern regions of the United States.
Note: Beta is a measure of a stock's volatility, a stock's beta can help investors build a diversified portfolio. A stock with a beta of 1.10 is expected to rise or fall 10% more than the benchmark. A stock with a beta of 0.80 would be expected to move up or down only 80% as much as the benchmark. In short, the higher the beta, the higher the stock's volatility.
Must read CEOWORLD Top Software Reviews: Employee attendance system, Voice or speech Recognition, Resume Writing Software, Project Management Software, Check Writing and Printing and Barcode Label Design Software
The following article is from one of our external contributors. It does not represent the opinion of Benzinga and has not been edited.